Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Sticker Removal and Preservation

7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
For a few years I've been buying bulk lots to bolster my collection. I now have a bucket of many hundreds of pieces with stickers, but since (as a rule) I don't use stickers in my MOCs, I feel these pieces have no purpose. So, I'm considering removing the stickers to free up the parts for use.
As a purist, I can only justify such drastic action if I can preserve the stickers somehow. I believe I read somewhere that placing the stickers on saran wrap works well, but I wonder if you all concur or have any other ideas.
Thanks.

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,285
    I've never heard of any way of taking off old stickers intact - nor of anyone who has wanted to! ;)

As far as I'm aware, it's not really possible, but there might be a method I've not heard of.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,686
    You can soak them in water for a few days and the stickers peel quite easily if they have not already come off. But I'm not really sure what the point would be, if you don't use stickers. If you want to preserve them then the best way is to leave them in place.
    OldfanmadforLEGOSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,259
    Plus if the stickers are from a certain time frame they will flake into pieces if you just look at them. If I remember correctly they were from late 90s early 2000s.
    madforLEGO
  • darthdcdarthdc Member Posts: 222
    gmonkey76 said:
    Plus if the stickers are from a certain time frame they will flake into pieces if you just look at them. If I remember correctly they were from late 90s early 2000s.

Lost count of how many sets I have with stickers that have done that: UCS Naboo Fighter, all the Football/Soccer sets, and UCS AT-ST to name some.
    SprinkleOtter
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 219
    The stickers on my Speed Racer cars are flaking like dandruff.  I haven't had issues with any other stickers.
    Baby_Yoda
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 290
    I've pulled off old stickers when cleaning up bulk lots. If they stay in one piece I'll put them onto the backing from a used sticker sheet. 
    oldtodd33
  • 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
    All the pieces are from after ~2007 and I know I can get the stickers off without cracking or damaging them. But perhaps I am being silly and should just keep them on unless I really need a specific piece.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,686
    If they aren't from expensive sets, I'd just remove them. There are enough cheap sets made that they will never be rare and you'd feel guilty for not saving them. Whereas if you were pulling off stickers from UCS display plaques or from parts to the Grand Carousel or similar just to reuse the  cheap parts they are on, then that would be crazy.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,213
    To hijack a part of this conversation, I bought a bulk lot last week that has a majority of parts for the UCS Red Five. However, it's missing one of the four ramp pieces with larger stickers along with the plaque. I'll be buying a new sticker sheet for it. The three large ramp parts have some dings and scratches on the existing stickers. 

My question is, would it be worth just keeping those three stickered parts and buying 4 new ramps to put the new stickers on? Or take the old stickers off and reuse the parts, but with new stickers? 

I don't have a BL store, so not really a venue to resell the older parts. 

Recommendations?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,914
    While you can use an xacto knife (to reduce oil from fingers and dog ear-ing on the stickers) and wax paper, but I subscribe to what others say, leave them on the piece, especially if they are a later sticker (2000 and later).
    Or make a bricklink store and sell them off there or eBay.
  • 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
    edited September 10
    @Switchfoot55 ;this BL store has the stickers and four slopes, and all the stores with cheaper stickers don't even have one slope, so I'd say keep the three you have for "the future" and just buy new slopes.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,717
    I usually remove and toss stickers from bulk lots if they are not from expensive or collectible sets and I see no real chance I’ll re-use them in some way. Otherwise, I toss them all in a bin with other printed and stickered parts. 
    Baby_Yoda
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 504
    I think the sticker change happened around 2011, I started actually collecting in 2010 with toy story (had a few sets older than that) and the only sets I've experienced flaking with are construct a buzz and the cars 2 tokyo international circuit. Really really concerned about my Mack team truck, replacement stickers almost cost as much as the actual set did back then....