Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Selling Bulk Filler Brick -- how to price?

ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 397
So I have a buyer interested in buying some of my old bricks (from when I was a kid, circa 1970s / early 1980s).   They were heavily used and show it -- bite marks (ugh), discoloration, dents -- so these bricks are only good as filler pieces.  Any suggestions on how to price this out?   Mainly 2x4 and 2x2 in red, white and blue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm not inclined to give them away, but I also don't want to toss out a ridiculous offer.  To date, I've only sold complete sets, so selling parts is a new one for me.

Comments

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 782
    I'd sell by weight. I have seen good condition stuff (without minifigures) listed at £7-£10 per Kg and poorer quality listed at £5-£7 and below. The more generic the pieces, the lower the prices seem to go too. Does as little as $3 or $4 a Kilo bother you as a sale price? If it really is badly damaged, maybe see what $3 per Kilo gets you and then add a bit if you're unhappy. I have generally thrown away anything with bites that I got in a job lot.
    Toc13kiki180703AllBrick
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,228
    Well, I just realized what I can do with all the older gnarly bricks I've picked up in bulk lots. Not sure why I never thought to use them as filler for elevation changes. So for that, thanks!

Based on my experience, a steal on price/lbs is around $2-$3. A good price would be the $4-$6. Considering the quality of the bricks you're referencing, probably anywhere between that $2-$6 would be considered fair. Others may disagree or say you could ask for a lot more. 

If you weigh everything out and realize you'd only be asking like $12, but feel you wanted more, there's nothing wrong with starting higher and seeing if they'd accept. Who knows, the buyer may be thinking $40 for the same amount?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,700
    I've found in the past that the problem with filler is that when you come to take something apart, you have to again sort filler vs decent bricks, otherwise the filler gets into your normal bricks stock. I prefer to use duplo as a filler for (substantial) changes in elevation or internal support as those bricks are quick and easy to separate from my normal building bricks.
    mithridatedmcc077ncaachampskiki180703snowhitieAllBrickomnium
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,286
    Well I guess it's just me that always uses new bricks then?! 😂
    SeanTheCollectorsnowhitieomnium7BSSprinkleOtter
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,728
    I like the Duplo idea; I hadn’t thought of that before.
    AllBrick
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,385
    CCC said:
    I prefer to use duplo as a filler for (substantial) changes in elevation.... or internal support as those bricks are quick and easy to separate from my normal building bricks.
    I can vouch for this.

I have a plan to take all my old beaten bricks and turn them into models which I will leave in random places around town. 
    Bobflip560Heliportkiki180703
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 474
    I have about a quart or two of MegaBloks that I got in a bulk purchase. It's okay, I could see they were in the tub, and it was still worth it for the LEGO. I'm debating using them for filler. They're almost all "regular" bricks, 2x2, 2x4, etc. There's a nice green color that's between LEGO lime green and sand green. I want to use them for something, but the purist in me cringes.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,700
    As above, you will also need to sort again. This time MB from lego rather than poor from good. If they are a completely different non-lego colour, at least that helps.

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,269
    edited September 10
    I took most of my off-brand bricks over to Savers a month or so ago and got a 30% off coupon and a donation receipt for tax write-off. Applied the coupon on a $300+ purchase, so it was like getting over $100 for a couple garbage bags full of unwanted bricks. It was odd seeing lots of bags hanging in the store the next week and immediately recognizing them as stuff I had brought in. Adding up the tags, Savers got at least $200 for the stuff I brought in, so everyone wins.