Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How to attach a technic gear to a bar?

windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 25
Hi guys, I've been puzzling over this for a few days.  I'm trying to attach a Technic gear to a bar (a lattice in this case).  My solution is not very elegant and is more bulky than I'd like.  Is there a better way - ideally I'd like a bar-clip -> technic pin hole but I can't find one.  The obscured green part is a Technic 1x1 brick (shown separately in the screenshot).

FowlerBricks

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,285
    If you're just wanting to attach it, and not bothered about how stable it is for actually turning, then I'd use a 1x1 with top clip, attached to the end of a shortened pin:

Mr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 780

...or push one of these through the half pin. I'd worry about the rotation and stability though.
    Switchfoot55kiki180703
  • windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 25
    Thanks guys - I think it may need a bit more stability - here's a bigger picture of it.  It's a level-crossing; the wheel at the top turns the gear on the gate which lifts it, while also raising the barrier, the 2 pins are the with-friction kind.  I'm going to add a barrier on the other side that will be connected also (forgive my WIP Technic design).

There's a couple of problems with that. The first is that you'll need to use the same size gear on both sides, otherwise it'll move upwards at different rates.

The second is that I believe it simply won't work anyway. Even if you have a 'cage' to hold the grill in, putting a lifting force on one side but not the other will cause it to try to twist, and it'll jam.
    SprinkleOtter
    There's a couple of problems with that. The first is that you'll need to use the same size gear on both sides, otherwise it'll move upwards at different rates.
    Ignore this. It was very early and I forgot that as the smaller gear isn't connected to anything, that won't matter...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,555
    Ignore this. It was very early and I forgot that as the smaller gear isn't connected to anything, that won't matter...
    This is still a valid point, though. Torques, moments, all that fun... ...stuff...
    The second is that I believe it simply won't work anyway. Even if you have a 'cage' to hold the grill in, putting a lifting force on one side but not the other will cause it to try to twist, and it'll jam.

• CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 324
    I think it might just pop the clips off due to the force, or at least twist it till they no longer mesh.

You could just invert it, use a rack gear on the gate instead. If you need is slow, the rack can still mesh with the screw. Same on the other side, rack on the gate with a fixed pinion.
  • windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 25
    Thanks for the pointers guys.  It's obvious  now that I need to get the mechanism sorted before I worry about how the gate looks.  After my model out for real, I definitely a cage around the worm gear (should have been more obvious to me!).

I found this in the Unofficial Technic Builders guide.  I'm going to try adapt this worm/rack technique.