Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2019 Modular Rumours

Comments

• LegoPegasister2015LegoPegasister2015 Westchester, NYMember Posts: 132
    Aanchir said:
    So, I have to ask. The modulars started in 2007 and last year was their ten year anniversary. Any chance Lego is ending the concept?
    Wasn’t Assembly Square the tenth anniversary set? Then DD came out in 2017, so this theory seems flimsy.
    I said ten year anniversary not tenth year set. 
    I thought Assembly Square was promoted by TLG as celebrating the tenth anniversary of the modulars.
    It was. And anyhow, the tenth year of modular buildings would have been 2016, not 2017:
    1. 2007
    2. 2008
    3. 2009
    4. 2010
    5. 2011
    6. 2012
    7. 2013
    8. 2014
    9. 2015
    10. 2016
    I would think that 2017 is the tenth year assuming the release of Cafe Corner was when the timeline began, like a “year zero” 
    Brainslugged
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,205
    So... does that mean my 1999 Millennium party was a year early?  Dammit!
    gmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,276
    edited November 2018
    @Aanchir You are correct, and that is a common mathematical misconception. I've met a great deal of people who legitimately believe that we are currently in the 20th century simply because our year starts with "20". If there are any children reading this, remember: pay attention in maths class or you will be really bloody confused in history class.

However, an anniversary is a measure of years since whatever event is marked. 2017 was the eleventh year of the modulars, just as Assembly Square was the eleventh standard set; the set was also released approximately ten years after Cafe Corner. It's like how when you start going out with someone, you're into your first year, but you don't celebrate your first date like it's your first anniversary. In short, an anniversary marks the end of whatever year it takes place in, to count how many years it has been since the event occurred.

@SumoLego Yup. I know someone who celebrated at the end of year 2000 for that very reason.
  • twoeyesgirltwoeyesgirl Member Posts: 8
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I think there's a perfectly good chance of an Asian-inspired building that isn't a restaurant.
    Me too. But also I’d love to see Asian faces in a non stereotypical Asian building.
    Dude. It's two dots for eyes and a curved line for a mouth. You can't get much more unspecific than that.
    Sorry but blonde hair and thin lips doesn’t sound unespecific to me. 
    There's plenty of Lego hair pieces available in a wide variety of colours and styles. Take the basic "cap" style, for instance. Of the 365 sets that include it, a mere 45 are cast in blond. Looking through other parts, there seems to be similar variety in colours and their shades.

The mouth of a Lego person's face is hardly reminiscent of a human, let alone an Asian.
    sid3windrgmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043
    oldtodd33 said:
    Classic heads are also very very easily sourced for anyone that's not a fan of the new designs.
       So are more expressive faces. 
    The correct print classic smiley is much easier to source than the "correct" expressive one. Since there are many different expressive ones, knowing which one is "correct" is impossible. If two people changed their classic smileys to expressive heads, chances are they will end up with different figures. Whereas there is one print for classic smileys, so everyone that doesn't like expressive ones will end up with their minifigures looking exactly the same if they replace them with the only classic print.
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,983
    https://brickset.com/article/39612/lego-to-release-exclusive-sets-in-china 

Seems to answer the question of the oriental clothing if nothing else.
    stluxsid3windrLostInTranslationAstrobricksBaby_Yoda
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    So many posts. So little clarity on the 2019 modular!  Those Chinese exclusives look legit, though!
    wardmmsandersPeteM
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 289
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    I'm predicting some Asian-Market Exclusive Set not available in the European or North American Markets.  

Woo-hoo!
    bandit778 said:
    https://brickset.com/article/39612/lego-to-release-exclusive-sets-in-china 

Seems to answer the question of the oriental clothing if nothing else.
    I was right!  My unsubstantiated speculation ended up being correct.  I told you so!

My predictions make me important.
    While you're on a roll, give us your best guess for the new Modular and we can close this one down!!
    SumoLegoAanchirCM4Sandhedatsunrobbie
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,754
    Not sotel?
    SumoLegoPapaBearandhe
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,427
    CCC said:
    oldtodd33 said:
    Classic heads are also very very easily sourced for anyone that's not a fan of the new designs.
    The correct print classic smiley is much easier to source than the "correct" expressive one. Since there are many different expressive ones, knowing which one is "correct" is impossible. If two people changed their classic smileys to expressive heads, chances are they will end up with different figures. Whereas there is one print for classic smileys, so everyone that doesn't like expressive ones will end up with their minifigures looking exactly the same if they replace them with the only classic print.
       You missed my point. I was simply stating the other side of the coin that, as one person posted previously, they don't like the classic smileys so they are changing them to more expressive heads. If you like the classic smileys keep them. If you are changing anything in a set, it's not correct for the set. It's your set so go ahead. 

That's why I don't understand people who don't like modulars without interiors. You've said it before, it's Lego make one!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 914
    oldtodd33 said:
    CCC said:
    oldtodd33 said:
       You missed my point. I was simply stating the other side of the coin that, as one person posted previously, they don't like the classic smileys so they are changing them to more expressive heads. If you like the classic smileys keep them. If you are changing anything in a set, it's not correct for the set. It's your set so go ahead. 

That's why I don't understand people who don't like modulars without interiors. You've said it before, it's Lego make one!
    Its Lego so make your own Modular, make your own facade - why buy any sets?! I think we`ve had plenty of discussions about Modulars and interiors, but the argument that make your own can be said about almost anything. Make your modulars taller by just adding more bricks to the walls or additional levels?  :-) 

AanchirLyichir
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,427
    edited November 2018
    ^ You can make your own modulars, there are many people here that are good enough to make their own and make them look good. There are many after market instructions you could use also.  I personally don't have the time for that so I buy what's offered. If it bothers you that much not to have an interior, most of the modular is done for you so make your own interior. I don't like the idea of more expressive faces but I won't bother to change them, I'll just put them inside the building where they can't be seen.  

I'll even confess that, once, I had an old TV sticker on the bricks (SOMP) from a Home Maker set that I had nothing better to do with so I put it inside either CC or GG as a joke to myself, I don't remember which and it's still there.
    Nope, just more speculation.
    jeremy1973
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 141
    Well, turns out those Chinese minifigs weren't for the 2019 modular. I knew they wouldn't be. Here's to another great European modular for 2019!

Kind of off topic but its nearly the 11/11/18, a hundred years since the fighting of WW1 ended. Shame Lego can't do anything as a memorial or celebration, surely they could do something that would be classed as anti-war and that we hope something like WW1 never happens again and we are thankful for the sacrifices made on all sides for a more peaceful world.
    Boomstick
    Being mindful of people's perceptions, but also being very 'old school', I doubt LEGO would want to celebrate the aggressor's sacrifices for a 'bad' cause.  Or also celebrate some of the realities of war perpetrated by the prevailing side.
    They could simply do a brick-built poppy or something. I tried making a field of poppies, but I only have one spare red flower...
    SumoLegoBrickchap
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,407
    2017 is the ten year anniversary of 2007.
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    edited November 2018
    Edited because I'd rather have a cold one than argue.  At least on a Friday anyway!  

Oh, and I'm not sure everyone has popcorn...
    SumoLegoMuftak1Bumblepants
    ^^ Yes, it is. The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
    BumblepantsAanchirPitfall69
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 339
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ^^ Yes, it is. The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
    I thought that was the midichlorians...
    Baby_YodaandhePitfall69
    Midichlorians are the powerhouse of the Jedi...
    CaptainPirateManBaby_YodaPitfall69
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 339
    SumoLego said:
    Midichlorians are the powerhouse of the Jedi...
    I know ;)
    SumoLego
    Surely, as Baby_Yoda said they could just do some poppies and perhaps a white cross. (or is that too 'religious' for bloody political correctness).

I didnt exactly say they had to do a 'ruthless' German machine nest with gas masks or whatever.

Here's what I did:

Left to right: Australian Light Horseman, Indigenous Australian Light horseman, British infantry, Naval officer, sailor, airman, artilleryman, lady munitions worker, matron/mother superior, nurse, wounded soldier, French infantry, German machine gunner, Turkish infantry and Lawrence of Arabia. Behind is some Allied airman and soldiers (including a British officer) with an R.E.8 and then German airman and soldiers  with an eindecker. Plus of course poppies and a cross.

Also, if Lego has done an eindecker with Wonderwoman, plus two offical Sopwith Camels (with machine guns) and the Fokker Dr I triplane, the Red Baron, who used to machine gun pilots running from crashed planes, don't tell me they cant do some sort of memorial and something that recognizes the efforts of all men and women involved from all sides.

I personally would be fine with a single 'Allied' soldier and poppy maybe even in black like a silhouette but I understand the bias of that and appreciate how the Turks were very civil to my countrymen at Gallipoli, plus the famous Christmas greeting across the trenches.

Or how about just 1918-2018 written in bricks. Surely 100 years since the most devastating and civilization changing conflict (which in various ways caused the WW2) is too much of an important occasion to not remember, reflect on or celebrate just because of 'anti war, no guns for children' political correctness stuff. Why the hell is a Star Wars anniversary more important then this and lasers are just as violent!
    oldtodd33SumoLego
    I think they're too busy designing the 2020 wave of SW, HP, Marvel and Batman sets.
    @SumoLego yeah, your right.
    SumoLego
    Brickchap said:
    @SumoLego yeah, your right.
    I don't disagree, but I also get the sense that a neutral-first approach is why we haven't seen Pirates or Castle themes return.  (Lack of interest may be another reason.)

For any toy company, controversy hurts sales.  Even if the controversy is objectively ridiculous. If you are THE toy company, the target is very large.

(In this hyperbolic hair-on-fire-all-the-time world, it amazes me that Barbie and Disney Princesses survive with the level of scrutiny on 'traditional' gender roles, and that the body-shaming unrealistic form of superheroes and video game characters exist, and blah blah blah...)

Sci-Fi will always be able to avoid some of the scrutiny because it's fantasy. 
    BrickchapBaby_Yodasid3windr
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    I believe Denmark tried to stay neutral in WW1. Perhaps it never occurred to TLG that they should produce a set for this particular anniversary.
    BrickchapBaby_YodaAanchirPapaBear
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,087
    Wasn’t there a period where a couple mods were released a year? I seem to recall once there was one in March and maybe one late in year around November or so? Which throws the whole 1 release per year thing out the door. 
    @piratemania7 What happened there I think was that you didn't get the 'January' release of that year's modular till March, while the modular for the next year was released early as it sometimes is in America. It was probably more February and December in regards months.
    @SumoLego  Your very right about controversy yet the absence of any around gender stereotypes etc. Its funny how people got so annoyed about Jangbrick's 'gender neutral' torsos (which are an awesome idea) where as 'gender specific' torsos (for occupations I mean such as coffee shop worker) enforce stereotypes on both occupations for men and women and body types.

And Lego has this stupid thing that there must be a equal to roughly equal ratio of male and female figures in EVERY SINGLE SET. It's like somehow one less piece of plastic with 'lipstick' on it is going to make women lose the vote or something.

I am still waiting for a male nurse from Lego. (we've had male paramedics but all nurses have been females). Do I actually care? No. Provided they have gender neutral torsos one just swaps the heads. Why is 'swapping heads' such an issue for female minfigs? Just because all Lego firefighters for example at one time were male, doesn't mean every little girl is going to look at it and be like "O well that means I cant be a firefighter in real life, women are underrepresented in emergency services blah blah blah".

Science is the best example. People are always whingeing about 'the lack of women in STEM' *cough* Research Institute Women of Nasa *cough* but I am also still waiting for a normal young male scientist. All women scientists from Lego have been intelligent looking, confident young women while all male scientists are either older, 'mad' or 'nerdy' . Never have we had a minfig that would encourage young boys to be scientists (or do something other then rugby for that matter). Look at City Jungle explorers. The female scientist is normal while the male is presented as a scared-dy-cat 'derpy dude' to use Jangbrick's expression. I think that is a far more serious example of 'negative stereotypes".

I don't deny that women are underrepresented or prevented from entering certain work fields but that's something that should be fought in real life, not by ruining children's toys.
    dutchlegofan50Baby_Yoda
    I wonder when they will release images of the 2019 modular to get back on topic. December 30th probably...
    CurvedRoadPlate
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Did the 2017 modular leak before this point last year?
    @FollowsClosely Yeah, just about.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    We are getting close to last years reveal date: November 18th 2017.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 767
    edited November 2018
    And last year's modular was officially revealed the 29th or 30th of November. I remember since I was in a moving truck, heading up to St. Louis at the time. So we can expect a leak, then a reveal reasonably soon.
    30th November! Gee I don't remember it being that late!
    edited November 2018
    Brickchap said:
    I wonder when they will release images of the 2019 modular to get back on topic. December 30th probably...
    The meandering topic during information lulls is what makes a forum fun!
    Brickchap said:
    I think that is a far more serious example of 'negative stereotypes". 
    Friends sets seem to lack gender balance.  But I always find that argument facile because of the obvious history of the product being geared toward males.  I found it funny to hear my daughter complaining that there aren't enough 'dudes' in Friends sets.  I think that argument ought to be reserved until there is proportional representation and equal access.

I remember having a discussion with a trust fund baby who was bemoaning a Family Guy episode making fun of rich people not knowing the price of milk.  (She had NO clue the cost of milk.  She also missed the part of the joke implying they were completely out of touch, and had no idea what it was like to struggle.)
    BrickByBrickBumblepantsBaby_Yodastluxbandit778sid3windr
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 732
    Ha, I just saw the username @FollowsClosely and since watching Toast of London and just learning about British slang, I almost want to change my username to FollowsThrough.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,558
    Ruining? Really?
    The "sexist minifigures" argument should be as futile as the "racist minifigures" argument, but unfortunately, it's not quite as simple. If there were no lipstick mouths and printed skinny waists, there would be zero gender identification on printing. However, people tend to assume that a character without any distinctly feminine features is male, leading to cries of "sexism!" It's incredibly ironic.
    SumoLego said:
    I remember having a discussion with a trust fund baby who was bemoaning a Family Guy episode making fun of rich people not knowing the price of milk.  (She had NO clue the cost of milk.  She also missed the part of the joke implying they were completely out of touch, and had no idea what it was like to struggle.)
    To be fair, if she was capable of holding a conversation with you, then she was probably very intelligent for her age. Not all of us babies are dumb, you know.
    PapaBearsid3windr
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    edited November 2018
    Ok, so if the Detective Office is going to be 20% where available from LEGO stores from Nov23-26th , then I guess it may be on the outs (as that is typically the only time a Mod gets discounted from LEGO), but really strange IMO as I do not see the Parisian Restaurant selling better than it, or is LEGO getting rid of two mods?
    ^Where did you hear that news?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,490
    I can easily see the PR selling better than DO - it's just more aesthetically pleasing.
    ^^Disregard.  Saw pic of insert in the [email protected] thread.
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 407
    PR is a great build.  Haven't built DO yet so I can't say.  I was at the store a few days ago and the DO was gone though.

and on the subject of leaks, I hope we have some lookouts on Chinese social media
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    PapaBear said:
    PR is a great build.  Haven't built DO yet so I can't say.

I have built both and while the PR is definitely the superior structure as well as all around building experience, the DO is no slouch. I could even see some preferring it..
    BrickchapBaby_Yoda