Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Hello, new here

DorkvaderDorkvader VisaliaMember Posts: 4
Don't worry I won't try to sell you anything or ask you the value of any of my old legos. First I'd like to introduce myself my names Jared, I'm from California. I stumbled across a few boxes of toys I had when I was kid. That of course triggered the reminiscing of the good old days! 

Basically looking to try and find or piece together some of the sets I had as a kid in the 1990's. Hopefully I can do that with out having to spend huge amounts of money. 

Are there any guides of the different lego sets that were released over the years? One of the first sets I have on my mind (which is dusty). I remember it being space themed, having blues and hot oranges, I seem to remember bright orange snow skis as well. Any ideas on that set or where I can start?
BumblepantsMr_CrossFowlerBricks

Comments

• teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 903
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are talking about Ice Planet. Browse here and you'll probably see your set:

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Space/subtheme-Ice-Planet-2002
    Dorkvader
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,132
    edited August 2018
    Welcome!!
    www.brickset.com actually has a pretty robust catalog. bricklink.com is a pretty good source (as well for parts and instruction books) Blue and orange sounds like the Ice Planet space line 2002 line actually.
    Dorkvader
  • DorkvaderDorkvader VisaliaMember Posts: 4
    teal93mr2 said:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are talking about Ice Planet. Browse here and you'll probably see your set:

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Space/subtheme-Ice-Planet-2002
    That is the one! Any advice on purchasing, I'd like to make sure I pay a fair market value and don't make any huge mistakes.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,395
    Browse the sold prices on bricklink for last six months. You could also search sold history on ebay. Ice Planet was one of the best, good luck with your search!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,180
    personally I thought about completing my UFO collection when I got out of my dark age, but I never did it, because there is so many good stuff getting released. though the ice planet flagship (deep freeze defender I think ?) looks impressive, but maybe you would like benny's spaceship more for example.
    Dorkvader
    I think I'm going to start with the Ice Planet Odyssey 6983. That is the specific set I had as a kid and remember, it's also fairly reasonably priced. I don't mind spending $150-200 on a set that is in decent shape. I would like the box and instructions as well which I'm sure will increase the price. There are a few "new" ones out there in the $370-400 range. I see that the price does go quite a bit higher but I would imagine that's due the box being in better shape. I would purchase the one I found in the $370-400 range, but it's sealed and I know if I bust it open that will hurt the value. Hopefully I can find something over the next few weeks.

It seems like a good starting point for a collection and something I can build around. Plus there are a lot of other kits in Ice Planet that I can pursue.

As for storage and display any articles/links on the standard practices for that? I'd like to avoid mistakes that will bleach the color or otherwise damage them.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,180
    edited August 2018
    you know that for $370-400 you can get 4000 pieces sets? it's like 10 times ice station odyssey. (well, maybe not that much because of the raised baseplate)

you might want to look at nexo knights too if you really like ice planet, it has lots of pieces that could be used for ice planet mocs.

the thing I know about storage is don't put them in the sun.
    Dorkvader
    The nexo knights are an interesting set. I'm not really interested in the number of pieces I can get, if that were the case I'd look for bulk auctions on ebay. I still might do that at some point. I'm mostly interested in having the exact sets that I had as a kid. Perhaps a few of the sets that I always wanted but never had for what ever reason.

I have a small collection of Star Wars toys and memorabilia. I tend to be the type of collector who goes after complete sets/toys that include packaging. Some of it I want opened, some of it I want sealed it really depends on what it is and what I'm planning to do with it.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,389
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6983-1#T=S&O={%22ss%22:%22US%22,%22iconly%22:0}

There are several #6983 sets available on Bricklink now for under $100