The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hi, I’m new here

ClareyBristolsClareyBristols Gloucestershire Member Posts: 11
Hello to you all.  I am new to this site and I found the Introduce yourself section so I am here to do just that! 

I love lego and I now lucky enough to be in the situation where I can start to build a city.  Up to now I have only really bought individual sets and nothing I can combine into a bigger picture. Anyway, a house move now means that I have the space so I will be starting my city shortly.

The question is Where do you start??  Any advice on what would be a good first step? 
Many thanks for any advice you can give me 
Clare x
glosminifigfanBumblepantsBaby_YodaomniummadforLEGOSumoLego

Comments

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,486
    Welcome Claire.

I'd probably start with a Modular building.
    madforLEGOClareyBristolsSumoLego
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 429
    Welcome Clare! I'd say the first thing you'd want to do is build from the ground up - that is, how big can you conceive of it being, and will you want to build the roads using road base plates or keep them brick built. That's a good starter for 10 - the Creator Modular houses and holiday homes etc. are surprisingly handy for realistic town building, or at least as parts packs to build something larger and complement any modular creator expert buildings you may or may not choose to buy.
    ClareyBristols
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 152
    Welcome to the forum. If you touch base with @SumoLego he can sell you a lovely tabletop with fixed base plates to start your city development. And lots of road intersections. And as you are new here, also take this advice with a very large pinch of salt. My better advice would be to limit your time on the forum as I now seem to spend more time here than actually building Lego :)
    ClareyBristolsSumoLegoBaby_YodaKerre
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,906
    Hello to you all.  I am new to this site and I found the Introduce yourself section so I am here to do just that! 

I love lego and I now lucky enough to be in the situation where I can start to build a city.  Up to now I have only really bought individual sets and nothing I can combine into a bigger picture. Anyway, a house move now means that I have the space so I will be starting my city shortly.

The question is Where do you start??  Any advice on what would be a good first step? 
    Many thanks for any advice you can give me 
    Clare x
    Oh, now you just opened up a can o' worms, as there are many with vast sums on knowledge to answer you questions :-)

Welcome to the forum! There are those here that have build rather impressive displays who should help you with type of sets to get, materials to get to make the display tables (or tables to get) and how to integrate street baseplates into displays, or build you own roads.
    ClareyBristols
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,335
    edited August 11
    I'd probably start with a Modular building.
    Why not just start with some LEGO Trains and just kiss all of your money goodbye!

Gibbo1959 said:
    If you touch base with @SumoLego he can sell you a lovely tabletop with fixed base plates to start your city development.
    It's already on its way to a landfill.

Anyway, the best part about this hobby is that it can be what you make of it.  You can pick a new theme, seek out old sets from old themes, you can collect single pieces, single colors, same-color minifigures, little sculptures, big ones, trains-planes-and-automobiles, huge MOCs, or a city.

The nice thing about this site is that there is a little bit of everything - and it is definitely worth the research to take it all in.

And buy what you like.  And do with it what you like.
    ClareyBristolsomniumBaby_YodastluxSprinkleOtter