Astromech droid head printing issues?

TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
edited July 2018 in Collecting
I bought set #75208 and was super excited for the muddy R2-D2 minifig, but was bummed to see that his head was printed poorly. 

I contacted customer service and was sent another head, which was not much better. I asked for one more which was pretty decent (and I didn't want to bother them anymore.)

Then I bought #75218 and noticed similar issues with the droid heads. I contacted customer service again and was told that I'd been asking for a lot of replacements lately, which was true.

I think (hope?) they're still going to send me replacements, but I feel like I'm justified in asking for them, the prints are pretty bad.... anyone else out there found similar issues with your droid heads?
omnium

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 873
    I bought #75218 last night, haven't built it yet... I'll take a close look at the droids. I haven't noticed problems like yours before, but honestly that's something that wouldn't bother me that much. I agree that they should be better- LEGO prides itself on quality control, after all.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    The lines on R2 type heads are always a bit wonky.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    I think you're right asking for replacements - I don't think I've ever had any Astromechs that are printed noticeably as badly as that - at worst it's just a slightly offset colour rather than the whole print being on the wonk. In my experience it's printed battle droids that are far more inconsistent. I have pretty much every iteration of droid pilots, security and commanders - the more recent commanders with accurate yellow curved head printing have often been way off kilter. 
    TyresOFlahertyomnium
    FWIW my R2-D2 and R2-Q2 were perfect.
    TyresOFlaherty
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    @560Heliport Nice!! That gives me hope that the replacements they send me are better. :)
    Have you built your X-Wing? What did you think of the surprise feature? (I don't want to give it away to anyone else.) I think I might have to do a SW movie marathon this weekend... all nine movies... well, that's Saturday; what to do Sunday? ;) 
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    ^ What about The Clone Wars movie? ;)
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    ^ No, that's simply not good enough to even consider rewatching.
    Oh, you meant the animated film. I thought you meant Episode II.
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Too be fair, that animated movie is basically the worst episode of the series...
    Baby_Yoda
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    I know Jangbricks has problems with thr printing a lot.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    My droid head from #75208 looks fine. Fingers crossed for your replacements!

Umandraug said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Too be fair, that animated movie is basically the worst episode of the series...
    If they had scrapped the actual film and used the storyline for the first few episodes of the Clone Wars series, it probably would have worked better.
    Bumblepants
  • samtheqsamtheq USAMember Posts: 47
    The film "THE CLONE WARS" was just a last-minute stitching together of some episodes, which somebody convinced Lucas to release theatrically, in an attempt to introduce the animated series.  It was pretty lackluster, except for the fact that you get to see a baby Hutt. I think that was the high point.
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 162
    my R2 is pretty bad as well, i got him second hand online for extremely cheap so im not complaining 
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 569
    Had a look at mine and they don't seem as bad as the ones above though the bottom line is a bit off. All of my pre-silver head R2s don't have any problems.

Have you checked to see if they have a bad motivator?
    TyresOFlahertyAstrobricks
    Mynatt said:
    Had a look at mine and they don't seem as bad as the ones above though the bottom line is a bit off. All of my pre-silver head R2s don't have any problems.

All my other astromech heads are fine
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    edited August 2018
    Fascinating. I have combed through all of my Star Wars figs to discover... I have never purchased a set with an Astromech. Weird.
    LuLego
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    Mynatt said:

I see what you did there. Damn Jawas.
    Umandraug
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    Brixfan02 said:
    Mynatt said:

All my other astromech heads are fine
    The redhead on the left looks a little wonky to me.
    Umandraug
    ^ I think that's just the way the older parts were printed, so that they sit far too high. You can see the same phenomenon on Artooie and his friend to the right.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ^ I think that's just the way the older parts were printed, so that they sit far too high. You can see the same phenomenon on Artooie and his friend to the right.
    I was talking about the wiggly white printing around the base of the “head”. Compare it with the green print that’s nice and straight.
    You're right, I've noticed that before, still not as bad as silver head R2