Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Shop-At-Home "Set Pairing"..... collectors can't collect these, can they?

IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
Sometimes TLG sells related theme sets together under a new set number.... but since no special packaging is involved, no one can ever "collect" these... can they?  Since all they are, are individual sets just grouped together with a different set number that is not identified anywhere except in LEGO Shop-At-Home.

In my collectors guides, I ignore these (unless they are bundled/packaged together) because they have no way to make them any different than the individual sets packaged alone.

For example....

Pirates of the Carribean SAH sets 5000018 and 5000021....

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/5000018_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Classic_Kit
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/5000021_LEGO_Brand_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Classic_Kit

Besides knowing that they were once sold together (in separate boxes but in one shipping box)....  these are really not collectible items I guess.... unless you have a sealed shipping box.

I guess the same could be said for sets bundled together, but at some point they had the shrinkwrap removed... and are now separate sets.

Since I don't own any of these... are there any ways to identify sets that are paired together from regular standalone sets?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,466
    We call them 'virtual product collecions' because they only exist as a SKU in LEGO's system, and once they are sold out at [email protected] we delete them because they cease to exist.

SMCSeanTheCollectorsid3windrkiki180703
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 379
    I suppose then the questions would be a) can these SKUs be retrieved, and b) can details be added to Brickset in case anyone is interested?
    We add them if they appear in the product feed, simply because it's easier to than not add them, but delete them once out of stock since they don't exist in any form other than a entry in LEGO's database.
    Istokg
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,740
    I was going to ask about this when the ninjago movie coupled a number of sets. As I usually search the database by highest pieces these would be very prominent. I didn't really like having them there because like you say they dont really exist. Please to hear that they do get deleted once they are no longer sold. Great work as always @Huw
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    Aren't they also usually priced at the price of set A plus the price of set B plus the price of set C and so on, so not only uninteresting to collectors, but also not that interesting to consumers either.
    There might be a fiver off if you're lucky. I guess their purpose is to make it easy for gift buyers that want to spend, say, £100.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    When I first got back into collecting LEGO again in 2012, I bought the first wave of LotR that way. It was a “collection” on the website, but the price was exactly Set 1 + Set 2 + Set 3, etc.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2018
    Thanks @Huw et al.....  I won't be adding the "virtual products collection" to my LEGO Encyclopedia series either.... makes no sense to, since it's not something that you have in front of you to look up in a reference guide.

I'm finishing up Volume 5 (2001-2011) right now, with the last of the set volumes... Volume 6 (2012-2018) to work on the next few months.

One other thing that has been driving me crazy has been "promotional" sets.  Sets that might be exclusive to a particular retailer (such as Target, Toys-R-Us, Walmart) in North America... may not be promotional in Europe.... etc.   Japanese KABAYA sweets and Airline Promo sets have been especially troubling.  Some USA Shop-At-Home exclusive sets may have "Airline Promo" on the polybags, since they were used for both Airlines and SAH... and that further complicates things.  More "LEGO Mayhem"!
    gmonkey76The_Rancor