Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Fantasy Era: why so expensive?

FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,499
So against my better judgement, I've decided to move toward collecting the Fantasy Era Castle theme. Is there any particular reason why it's so expensive?? Was it just popular or was it rare or short lived?

Comments

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    A number of factors. Castle is popular in general. There's loads of nostalgia there. Fantasy Era is a highly regarded interpretation of Castle, in many people's eyes the best. Taking #7097 as an example, it's just terrific. What came after was of noticeably lower quality. Fantasy Era was finished shortly before the LEGO investing craze began and so the sets weren't hoarded.

FowlerBricksMatthewgmonkey76catwranglerSprinkleOtter
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,344
    It was short lived as I remember and it had Orcs/Trolls so before LOTR so a possible tie in with that. People seem to hoard those characters a bit too. 
    FowlerBricksgmonkey76
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,499
    edited July 2018
    I actually suggested that Lego reboot it and they told me that it wasn't too far fetched of an idea, so there's hope for a reboot!
    eggshencatwrangler
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Wow - #7097 looks dated! It still feels like it wasn't too long ago but there have been so many advances in set design since then.

Fantasy Era is just an all-round great theme, and miles better than Kingdoms IMO. As said above, the sets weren't hoarded either so there's less on the secondary market because people want to keep them.
    FowlerBricks
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    I can't believe it's been 10 years!
    FowlerBricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,127
    I guess I should have saved those MIB Dwarve mines and Orc mountain fortress sets.
    edited July 2018
    @madforLEGO ; what did you do with them??
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,122
    I actually suggested that Lego reboot it and they told me that it wasn't too far fetched of an idea, so there's hope for a reboot!
    You'd get a similar reply to most suggestions like that.
    FowlerBricks
    CCC said:
    You'd get a similar reply to most suggestions like that.
    If I suggested they do a, say, Call Of Duty theme, they would not give the same reply. XD
    Asking them to do a violent non-kid friendly theme is not really similar to asking them to bring back (insert existing theme here).
    FowlerBricksSprinkleOttergmonkey76
    ^True. This is what they said after I suggested they bring Fantasy Era back and throw the Vikings in there as well: "We just revived the Harry Potter™ theme, so It's not out of the question. I'll share your feedback with our design team as well"  I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I mean, there's got to be a new Castle theme soon, since Nexo Knights is over. This may be a pipe dream, but seeing Fantasy Era return as an evergreen theme like Ninjago would be amazing.
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 67
    edited August 2018
    CCC said:
    Asking them to do a violent non-kid friendly theme is not really similar to asking them to bring back (insert existing theme here).
    I’m still going to suggest DOOM, though.
    FowlerBricks
    @madforLEGO ; what did you do with them??
    Sold them off, a long time ago.
    FowlerBricks
    ^Dang. That stinks.
    Well, with LoTR and The Hobbit sets coming out I did not think much about selling them off. Granted they were out some time ago now.
    True. I wish I had been collecting Lego when they were out and about.
    catwrangler
    Well, with LoTR and The Hobbit sets coming out I did not think much about selling them off. Granted they were out some time ago now.
    And based on what LEGO had been doing in the then near past, it was not that far fetched that there would be more fantasy type sets coming out.
    FowlerBricks
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 749
    @FowlerBricks and for anyone else looking, this guy has some sets starting with low bids: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Lego-Castle-Set-7037-Tower-Raid-/183362032871

FowlerBricks
    Thanks @Pumpkin_3CK5. It'll probably shoot out of my price range pretty quick, but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Pumpkin_3CK5
    Something else I forgot about is this chess set. It is the only one that comes with trolls from Fantasy Era and is very expensive. People can MOC it from Fantasy Era sets and avoid the high cost of the set itself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Castle-Giant-Fantasy-Chess-Set-2008-852293-Complete/232895945883?epid=149142005&hash=item3639ae1c9b:g:OVYAAOSwVVpbbgj0
    ^That chess set is my dream set. I want it very badly, but I'll most likely never get it. XD
    ^ One sold the other day at auction for 505.00. I think the other much higher priced sets are just dreamers. 
    FowlerBricks
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 320
    I bought 5 or 6 of the tower raid sets for the 2013 line on clearance. I was able to put together quite a large castle with all of them, plus the castle of course.
    FowlerBricks
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,684
    oldtodd33 said:
    Something else I forgot about is this chess set. It is the only one that comes with trolls from Fantasy Era and is very expensive. People can MOC it from Fantasy Era sets and avoid the high cost of the set itself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Castle-Giant-Fantasy-Chess-Set-2008-852293-Complete/232895945883?epid=149142005&hash=item3639ae1c9b:g:OVYAAOSwVVpbbgj0
    ... The trolls came in a bunch of sets...
    edited August 2018
    ^ The trolls did come in a bunch of sets but that chess set uses them hence the ability to moc that set instead of paying 800.00 or more. Making the minifigs as a whole more expensive.
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 320
    edited August 2018
    Has that castle from Fantasy era also skyrocketed in value (Kings castle siege)? When I was coming out of my dark ages (2012/13) I debated heavily on the fantasy castle vs 2009/10 red castle. They were both similiar in price at that time, and I haven't looked it up since, but this thread has me wondering. I ended up going with the red castle because combined with the kingdoms jousting set it provides a more impressive MOC. I also got the blue 2013 sets as well, because as I said earlier they were still on the shelves at that time, and on clearance I might add. 

I always DID like the fantasy castle though, and I don't regret my decision. But if it has skyrocketed in value, that is interesting. 
    FowlerBricks
    ^Looks like they're around the same price. Maybe a 30 to 50 dollar difference for a sealed set. 
    CaptainPirateMan
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 61
    I once had the chess set come through my shop. I kid you not, it was in the shop for MAYBE 3 hours before it sold!
    FowlerBricksSprinkleOtter