Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Porsche GT3 - UK availability

CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 596
Hello Bricksetters
It seems I missed the sales of the Porsche GT3 (was away on Army duty). I was just looking at the Brickset page and see it is EOL in the US and CA, so I assume it is likely to go the same way here soon. I have looked around and everywhere is going for £200 which is too much for me. Does anyone have any top tips on where to get it at a better price or whether I should wait and be hopeful of future sales? Or does anyone have one they are looking to sell?
Thanks as always
Robyn

Comments

• Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 144
    Best bet is waiting for Smyths 20% off sale
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    edited July 2018
    Gruff666 said:
    20% off RRP is still more than £200 which @CommanderRabb feels is too much.

The set was available from Amazon at 35% off RRP (£169.99) at one stage, but that was 18 months ago and there are obviously no guarantees that it'll drop that low again. If you're willing to wait then you might get lucky, but if the set retires first then the current Amazon price of £199.99 (23% discount) might look quite cheap in hindsight....
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 247
    The set was available from Amazon at 35% off RRP (£169.99) at one stage, but that was 18 months ago
    I picked it up from Amazon at that price 4 weeks ago. I was then slightly bummed out to see Argos had it at £139.99 a week later, but there we go. :)

But I agree, given that the set is EOL, you either get lucky and get a discount again before it requires, or get unlucky and it retires before that, at which point it's sure to go ^up^ in price.
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 596
    oh wow £139!! I had my alerts setup for Amazon, and of course the sale happened whilst I was working and I only saw them later in the day with a groan.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,439
    @Mr_Hobbles ; - why did you tell us that? I was happy with £170 until I saw your post. :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    MaffyD said:
    @Mr_Hobbles ; - why did you tell us that? I was happy with £170 until I saw your post. :-)
    Likewise!

Although joking apart 35% off will do me for such a big, impressive set.
    MaffyD
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,603
    Crazy this retirement snuck up and hasn't got any discussion until now. Three or four years ago a set like this would have gotten several pages of speculation and chatter in the Predictions thread.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,439
    I suppose being able to grab it at ~£180 for a long long time has cooled off people's enthusiasm for talking about the price etc.
    And for the avoidance of doubt, I still think it's worth it for £170 - I (almost) cannot wait to build it. I would've asked Amazon for partial refund if I saw it elsewhere at 140 though!
    My sweet spot is about ~£180 (I mean if I get it for less then bonus, that is just my upper limit). Hopefully a deal comes along again soon.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I noticed it went sold out on U.S. [email protected] and immediately grabbed it on Amazon as I'd been holding out. Timing worked out because AmEx was running a 20% off promotion for using your AmEx points, so got it for $240 (and throw a bunch of already discounted sets in there, too).
  • Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 144
    Gruff666 said:
    20% off RRP is still more than £200 which @CommanderRabb feels is too much.
    It's £200 In Smyths and has been for quite some time. The last few times they have done the 20% deals or £5 of £50 spend it could be had for £160
    CommanderRaab
    ^ thanks, I will keep my eyes open for the next deal and try nab one!
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 303
    I paid 170 too and was happy. 140 would have been a bargain. Its also the reason Im not getting the Bugatti, until at least 35/40% off, as that is an overpriced joke, as lovely as it may look going next to the GT3, I hope Lego wake up a bit on their prices.

I have seen Amazon shift stock at low prices, so you may get lucky at under 200, but for the sake of 30quid, you may be best biting the bullet
    CommanderRaab
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    I got mine from Tesco's about a year ago for under £140, they have only been that low 1 time since I think.

Still haven't built it though, DOH!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 638
    £189.99 in Smyths at the moment. Still slightly above your limit, but getting there!
    CommanderRaab
    Thanks for all the advice and comments Bricksetters
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 133
    Amazon has it for £189.99 at the moment, and Keepa tells me that it normally doesn't go lower than that (other than 2 dips to £159.99 early last month)
    CommanderRaab
    Amazon at £195 ATM. Have you found one yet?
    CommanderRaab
    no not yet. I *ahem* got sidetracked *ahem* with some stuff about a boy with a scar on his forehead, depleted my coin purse and have not had a chance to visit Gringotts since. Soon hopefully
    Lego_Stardmcc0kiki180703FowlerBrickssid3windr
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 734
    @CommanderRaab see the Argos shopping thread it's currently £130
    CommanderRaabLegoboyiso3200kiki180703
  • LegoofmeLegoofme CambridgeMember Posts: 19
    Just bought it from Argos, great price that! 

Pate5346 said:
    amazing, thank you! For that price I can *ahem* find the money... :)
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    Pate5346 said:
    Thanks for the heads up. My local actually had one in stock too ;-)
  • LegoofmeLegoofme CambridgeMember Posts: 19
    Plus Argos has a promotion on when you spend £100 you get a £10 gift voucher, so I got the speed champions Porsche as well. XD 
    £150 On Amazon and Argos right now