Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Need Advice for Selling My Collection

LevSkyLevSky GTA, ON, CanadaMember Posts: 6

So after around 3 weeks of sorting, I have sorted my Lego collection by part type and colour, put everything into ziplock bags, and gathered all the instructions. Everything looks ready to be sold, but I need advice on how to sell it.

From what I know, all instructions are complete although a few of the books have had the staples become loose, and I threw out the instructions for some very tiny Lego sets that were given at the Lego store for spending a certain amount. About 95% of the parts are lightly used or in mint condition, the rest are fairly used, and only a handful of older parts have heavy wear. As for the parts, I'm sure that anything major isn't missing or broken except for 2 parts, a broken yellow 1/2 hinge plate, and a yellow technic angled beam with a factory defect but it can still be used easily. Also the suitcase hinges have snapped, but they still stick together separately. The collection is from a smoke free and pet free home.

Summary of collection:

General

-Somewhere between 100-150 pounds in weight

-Baseplates: 32x32 Green (x7), 32x32 Blue (x2), 32x32 Sand/Beige (x1), 48x48 Light-gray (x1), 32x16 Dark-gray (x1)

-Instructions for all major sets complete

-Several hundred dollars worth of PaB from the Lego store

Sets:

Lego Creator

#6753 - Highway Transport

#7347 - Highway Pickup

#4893 - Revvin' Riders

#4496 - Fun With Building

Lego Creator/Expert

#10233 - Horizon Express

#10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van (VW Bus)

#10321 - Shuttle Expedition

#10224 - Town Hall

Lego Star Wars

#8098 - Clone Turbo Tank

#7931 - T-6 Jedi Shuttle

Lego Games

#3865 - City Alarm

#3841 - Minotaurus

Lego Kingdoms

Kingdoms Chess Set – 853373

Lego City

#7891 - Airport Firetruck

Lego Chima

#70104 - Jungle Gates

#70105 - Nest Dive

Lego Technic

#8052 - Container Truck

#8109 - Flatbed Truck

#8041 - Race Truck

#42009 - Mobile Crane Mk II

#42008 - Service Truck 

#42011 - Race Car 

#8043 - Motorized Excavator 

#8069 - Backhoe Loader 

Lego Duplo 

#4632 - Building Plates

#???? - Basic Bricks

Some important questions:

What would be the approximate value of all this? Cause I'm thinking somewhere around $2000 but it might even be $3000 though I'm not sure (in Canadian dollars).

Where would be the best place to sell it? I'm thinking Kijiji but it might attract beggars and lowballers so maybe there are better places to sell. (I don't want to risk shipping either)

What is the best way to get payment? I'm not quite old enough to make a paypal account.

Feel free to leave some feedback. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,409
    I'd open a Bricklink store and sell it as separate parts/sets.
    LevSky
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,728
    Stash it all away in a cool, dark, dry place until you come out of your dark age so you don’t regret selling it then :)
    BrickByBrickMr_CrossdatsunrobbieFowlerBricksoldtodd33M_BossFollowsClosely
  • LevSkyLevSky GTA, ON, CanadaMember Posts: 6
    I'd open a Bricklink store and sell it as separate parts/sets.

Eh..... Doesn't really sound like something I would want to do, I don't have that much time to sell individually.

Stash it all away in a cool, dark, dry place until you come out of your dark age so you don’t regret selling it then :)
    Its been sitting in my bedroom for 4 years only taking up space cause I already lost interest in it many years ago, and I won't regret selling cause I already know where the money is going to go and its all planned out.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 782
    Facebook marketplace, Gumtree, eBay or here are pretty much the safe places.
    I don't think you'll get full whack in any of those places though.

Currently, you have a bulk parts collection, albeit nicely sorted. I think it's worth about $800 CAD or more if you're lucky. I've based this purely on weight and what dealers or bricklink store owners might pay. For ref, I took you 100Lbs (approx 45Kg) then multiplied by about £7 per Kg, a ball park of figures I've seen as bulk purchase quotes, then I added a 100 because it looked pretty disappointing.

This is just an opinion, but I think your best chance of realising as much value as possible is to put the parts from each set back together again, in neat ziploc bags, preferrably not just one big one either, divided out a bit. It means building everything to photograph it too. Start with your technic and the creator expert, those sets alone could easily net you more than the bulk value.

It's probably a lot of work, but if I bought it that's what I would do to sell it on!

Even if you are 100% sure you won't want these. Pick three of your favourites, pack them up and store them well. Your future self will thank you, even if you decide to sell them then.

Again, just an opinion, others here will probably have better knowledge than mine and would guide you differently.
    gmonkey76stluxSprinkleOtterAstrobricksLevSkyoldtodd33
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    ^THIS EXACTLY! Though I'd also add #8043, #8069 and, time permitting#42009 and #853373.
    You are GUARANTEED to maximise return by selling these 7 seven sets individually and complete.
    Im an nternational buyer - I have no idea whatsoever what Kiiji (or whatever you called it is.  If you're determined to sell local - Choose the biggest Facebook selling group around.  These seven sets will be in high demand and I'd be extremely suprised if they didn't attract bids from international buyers if you used a site like eBay. If you. Don't want to ship internationally - inflate your OS shipping costs enough to discourage an eventual international winner while starting at a low enough price to still attract the initial international bids to push overall volume.  Spend the time to take good pictures, offer combined shipping and have all items advertised concurrently to cross pollinate interest across lots.  I know all of this starting to sound time consuming but for the ACTUAL time versus money increase in doing it properly - you'd be mad not too.

LevSky
  • LevSkyLevSky GTA, ON, CanadaMember Posts: 6
    Mr_Cross said:
    Facebook marketplace, Gumtree, eBay or here are pretty much the safe places.
    I don't think you'll get full whack in any of those places though.

Currently, you have a bulk parts collection, albeit nicely sorted. I think it's worth about $800 CAD or more if you're lucky. I've based this purely on weight and what dealers or bricklink store owners might pay. For ref, I took you 100Lbs (approx 45Kg) then multiplied by about £7 per Kg, a ball park of figures I've seen as bulk purchase quotes, then I added a 100 because it looked pretty disappointing.

This is just an opinion, but I think your best chance of realising as much value as possible is to put the parts from each set back together again, in neat ziploc bags, preferrably not just one big one either, divided out a bit. It means building everything to photograph it too. Start with your technic and the creator expert, those sets alone could easily net you more than the bulk value.

It's probably a lot of work, but if I bought it that's what I would do to sell it on!

Even if you are 100% sure you won't want these. Pick three of your favourites, pack them up and store them well. Your future self will thank you, even if you decide to sell them then.

Again, just an opinion, others here will probably have better knowledge than mine and would guide you differently.
    I guess I'll just sell it for $800 because I don't have the time anymore to sort out the sets separately.
    LevSky said:
    I guess I'll just sell it for $800 because I don't have the time anymore to sort out the sets separately.
    Would your parents not help you if you explain the problem? Get some mates to help?

Try putting most of your post from above in the marketplace, perhaps one of your fellow Canadian members would be willing to give you a slightly better price - knowing what's there will help. Don't give it away for $800.
    AstrobricksLevSky
    You could consider contacting your local LUG: there's one based in Toronto... looks like they meet semi regularly and they have a meeting coming up next week.
    AstrobricksLevSky