Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

*** Bricktastic 2018 ***

LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,963
Yep, it's time for Bricktastic 2018! :-)  Who else is going? 

I'm patiently waiting at the Ryanair gate - no delays as yet :-) 

LostInTranslationGothamConstructionCostluxRedMarkHuwMr_Crossmessysnowhitiegmonkey76ricecakeSlapNuts

Comments

• LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,963
    Boarding! Next stop Manchester :-) 

LostInTranslationHuwsnowhitie
    Called in at the LDC. Well, it would've been rude not to! 

LostInTranslationstluxRedMarkHuwMr_CrosssnowhitieSlapNuts
    edited July 2018
    The customary pre-event breakfast :-) 
    Should set me up for the day (well, keep me going until dinnertime anyway). 

Mr_CrossLostInTranslationSalamalexricecakeSlapNuts
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 908
    Just like a LEGOman, heads straight for the sausage!
    LegopantsSalamalexsnowhitiegmonkey76
    Here we go... :-) 

Mr_CrossGothamConstructionCoLostInTranslationsnowhitieSalamalex
    A hydra (?) greeting visitors in the foyer. 

stluxGothamConstructionCobandit778snowhitiericecakeSlapNuts
    A ruddy huge club-wielding cyclops thingy at the entrance of the exhibition hall. 

stluxGothamConstructionCobandit778snowhitieLostInTranslationricecakeSlapNuts
    @messy striking a commanding pose at the Speed Build stand. 

LostInTranslationmessystluxbandit778Salamalexadiemcsnowhitiericecake
    Built a lickle bee at the "Build A Bee" stand :-) 

bandit778stluxGothamConstructionCoadiemcmessyLostInTranslationsnowhitievizzitor
    A pegasus... 

...complete with pegasus poo. Not entirely convinced the poo was part of the original model though.

stluxbandit778messysnowhitievizzitorLostInTranslationricecake
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    Thanks for posting these pictures @Legopants! I couldn't attend this year, but hopefully next year will work out better again...
    LegopantssnowhitieLostInTranslation
    stlux said:
    Thanks for posting these pictures @Legopants! I couldn't attend this year, but hopefully next year will work out better again...
    Look forward to seeing you there :-) 
    LostInTranslation
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,779
    So many cool Moc's. Thanks for the pictures.

That Easter island angry kitty is so original, how does one think of it? And I love how Lucy got all the different Disney themes in one model, very clean and cheery. The picnic basket is inspired, wonder if he/she started with that? Nice to see the great ball contraptions coming together as well :) looks like a great show.

Hope to attend at some point too...
    LegopantsLostInTranslation
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    Having displayed again this year, I just wanted to say that Bricktastic this year had easily the best quality models of any UK show from the last four years or so, and probably from before as well.

Not only was there a lot of models, but the quality of them was also consistently very high too, which isn't something you can say for all LEGO shows - or even for most of them.

It used to be that STEAM was the definitive LEGO event in the UK. Last year, Bricktastic was comparable, but I have to say that this year Bricktastic has surpassed STEAM. To be fair to STEAM though, it's still a fantastic event, it simply doesn't have the space to be able to do what Bricktastic has done.

Huge congratulations to @SirKevbags and the rest of the Fairies for organising such a great event!
    LegopantsstluxomniumLostInTranslationMr_CrossSirKevbags
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    This year was my first time ever to attend Bricktastic - and I decided to go as an exhibitor! Myself and fellow brick.ie member Wes joined another 7 AFOLs from Ireland to attend. Myself and Wes had a street layout with different buildings which included highlights such as a model of the pub our lug meets in monthly, my Dr Strange Sanctum (scaled down from when I posted it here earlier this year) plus a whole host of other buildings. We also had 3 mosaics I built, of baby groot, BB-8 and Princess Leia Organa which a lot of kids were delighted to get pictures with.

The models I've seen have given me ideas and inspiration for many more MOC's.  Also my first time to see a GBC layout in person and to see the work required to keep it running smoothly. Bricks to the past model was brilliantly detailed. Bright Bricks models are always good to awe at :). Seeing the massive variance of MOC themes sitting side by side proves how diverse we all are as creators. 

Outside of the show, I met so many AFOLs from the community including our own @Huw, Ed from Bright Bricks , the hairy fairy himself @SirKevbags and Simon Pickard who writes the brilliant techniques section of blocks magazine. There's many more to name, who have shown me the true  definition of the  LEGO community. No competition, just community.

As Kev put it this morning,  we are no longer Bricktastic virgins, and we hope to return many times again. 

Oh and @Legopants apologies if you went by our display when it was unmanned. There may have been a cheeky sneaky visit to the Arndale lego store around midday....
    stluxLegopantsomniummessyLittleLorivizzitorHuwLostInTranslation
    @Coolguy5000 - yep, I saw your exhibits. Next year I'll pop over and say "hello" :-) 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,376
    Thanks for sharing!

The bicycle MOC with picnic basket and lamp post was at Brickcon in Seattle last year. It was definitely a stand out exhibit for me as well.
    Legopants
    edited July 2018
    ^ that model blew me away, and it's not very often I can say that! Absolutely stunning, with loads of amazing part uses.
  • Djblythe05Djblythe05 NorthantsMember Posts: 18
    Great photos, looks like a fantastic event. Hopefully one day I can go
    Great photos, looks like a fantastic event. Hopefully one day I can go

Or try STEAM down in Swindon in October :-)
    LostInTranslation
    Below are a few photos of this year's swashbuckling model by Bricks to the Past entitled "Henry Morgan: Welsh Raider of the Spanish Main". What a corker! 

stluxmessyLostInTranslationbandit778snowhitieMr_CrossricecakeSlapNuts
    And a couple more bewdees by @Salamalex:

A Unikitty-themed MOC featuring a cat scratching-post tree (left) and a Unikitty "Cloudway-to-Heaven Sky Palace" (right).

And this one is called "Down the Rabbit Hole", depicting the underground lair of the evil Dr Mick Summer-Tosis (the actual rabbit hole, which serves as a portal to the Doc's Den of Depravity, is not visible coz it's on the other side of the tree).

stluxLostInTranslationbandit778snowhitieGothamConstructionCoMr_Crossricecake
    edited July 2018
    And finally, a random selection of photos of MOCs that I somehow forgot to take photos of myself (images courtesy of @LostInTranslation).

stluxTheOriginalSimonBbandit778snowhitieGothamConstructionCoMr_Crossricecake
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    Love those buses in particular, but all really good. Thanks for sharing these.
    LostInTranslationLegopantsSalamalex
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    Thanks @legopants for starting the thread and continuing to post pics.
    However, you have failed to mention our speed build head-to-head rematch. @messy will confirm that I have now beaten you twice, by a considerable margin. 

I had a fab time as ever at the show and I agree with @Paperballpark there were some outstanding and innovative models on show. I really like that there's a mix of LUGs and nationalities and styles of building. I think it keeps us all on our toes (adds to my insecurity issues but people seemed to like my little models). 
    And of course it's great to catch up with good friends and meet some new faces as well. My neighbour exhibitor was @doe who I hadn't chatted to much before but is a very nice bloke indeed - if you're in the Oxfordshire area next Saturday check out his charity Lego show to raise funds for a community Defibrillator. (can't find a link, sorry Ralph!) 

I think most of my favourite models have been featured above. @Salamalex consistently creates excellent quirky models I wish I'd thought of. @ame_uwagi had a playable Lego football stadium that was a lot of fun and also whipped up the cute Pooh sticks Duplo model in about half an hour during the show :-) 
    The dinosaurs were very cool, I think built by Jessica and/or Faolan (sorry if I spelled it wrong!) from Lego Masters. I loved all of them. Champions Steve and Nate were also there, Steve's rainbow typewriter is another excellent model. 
    The themed buses were great and seeing them has spurred me on to finish my Friendsified version properly in time for Steam. 
    The Ninjago-esque quayside was also brill.

I got home yesterday afternoon rather hot and exhausted but it was so worth it. I really hope there's a Bricktastic 2019 in the works (but that the weather is not so hot!). I'll deffo be there (subject to model approval by @SirKevbags) ;
    Thanks to all volunteers and trustees of Fairy Bricks, I don't know all your names but you are all Superstars.

I'm sure I missed people and models but rest assured Everything Was Awesome :-) 

LegopantsstluxmessySalamalexbandit778snowhitieGothamConstructionCoSirKevbagsricecake
    It seems that I took 239 photos, which I think says something about the quality, as that's far more than I normally take. I've uploaded them to my Flickr account here.
    LegopantsLostInTranslationmessystluxmaniacsnowhitieGothamConstructionCo
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 273
    That’s impressive tree climbing @Legopants
    LegopantsLostInTranslationmessy
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 477
    I hope some of these appear at STEAM in October.
    Thanks @legopants for starting the thread and continuing to post pics.
    However, you have failed to mention our speed build head-to-head rematch. @messy will confirm that I have now beaten you twice, by a considerable margin. 

Speed build?!? I dunno - you young 'uns are always in a rush! And anyway, I had something in my eye. Again.
    messystluxbandit778LostInTranslation
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 273
    ^nobody told you it was a speed build, did they @Legopants
    Legopantsmessy
    Salamalex said:
    ^nobody told you it was a speed build, did they @Legopants
    @Salamalex - No, they ruddy didn't! 

LostInTranslationBumblepantsSalamalexstluxSirKevbagsmessy
    Salamalex said:
    That’s impressive tree climbing @Legopants

Thank you @Salamalex - got skewered on a Puppycorn horn a couple of times before finally making it up the tree.
    LostInTranslationSalamalex
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,505
    edited July 2018
    Mr_Cross said:
    Just like a LEGOman, heads straight for the sausage!
    Prefer hash browns to be honest.
    Mr_Cross
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Love that picture of @messy with the Speed Build! He really has become Mr Stopwatch since we introduced it as an activity last year. 
    LegopantsSalamalexLostInTranslation
    I'm a bit gutted I didn't get chance to have a go, given some of the times on that leaderboard! Which set was it?
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    Both days I ended up in second!  @Paperballpark I think it was one of the larger Classic Brick boxes.
    messy
    I meant which set were you asked to build!? ;)
    Coolguy5000
    @Paperballpark - We had to build these 2 bad boys!
    No wonder I needed nigh on 15 minutes! ;-D

stluxmessy
    Finally got round to unpacking the last bits and pieces from my case yesterday. Lego Passport with 2 new stamps from the LDC and Lego Store in Manchester, and a spesh Bricktastic 2018 1x8 that @SirKevbags gave me :-) 

stluxLostInTranslation
    No Fairy Bricks stamp in your passport!? 
    No Fairy Bricks stamp in your passport!? 
    Does such a thing exist?!? 
    Yes! We usually stamp hands so people can get back in after a break. Fairy Bricks logo with Bricktastic circling the top. Purple ink.
    davetheoxygenmanLegopants