Brickset Bonusball Bonanza -samiam391 Edition - Police Officer Prize - 6/29/18

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
It's Bonusball time! I'm quite late in posting this and the Bonusball draw is Saturday night, so answer fast. :)

This weeks prize is a series 18 Police Officer still sealed in bag!

This one is going to work slightly different from times before, this is a Series 18 Police Officer after all. This is my first time hosting a Bonusball.. Some backstory on the prize, I used the special "feel" method that only certain, amazing, people are able to perform to identify this figure. That way I can keep them sealed in bag. A lot of people have to guess and grab the blind bags randomly, but since I have mastered the "feel" method and can identify this figure with 100% certainty I went around to the 27 Walmarts in my area and got them all. So, how does this all relate to the Bonusball?  To clarify the rules, the very fortunate winner of the Bonusball will have the incredible opportunity to have first stab at the police officers I found. These sell for $4 in store so I'm offering them at what I believe is a fair price; it will be $500 for all 27, 280 for 18, or $100 for 1. I'm also new to the forums and this is my first post, did I mention that?

Ok, stupid jokes out of the way lets get to the real Bonusball rules

I thought it would be fun to say what your first post on the forum was as a new member, but that would take a long time to figure out! So I've decided the question shall be:
What's your earliest/most vivid childhood memory?

To answer my own question, I believe I was about 4-5 years old (?) when my family was traveling out west exploring different national parks. One of these parks was the Grand Tetons (if you have not been, they are absolutely stunning, even 4-5 year old me remembered them!). While hiking on one of these trails  a mother black bear came out of the forest. This black bear managed to separate my father and I from the rest of my family. Long story short, it chased my father and I through the woods until my father tripped on a fallen log, falling directly on top of me. The weight of my father falling on top of me full force caused me to let out a blood curling scream... which promptly made the bear turn around and run off. So that's the story of how I saved my entire family as well as the lives of several other hikers and fishermen in the area; at least that's how I like to phrase it. 

Please no double posts until the sweet spot number of 59 has been reached. The Bonusball draw is Saturday night.

Good luck one and all!
COOLEGOLego_StarLegoboyFowlerBricksMAGNINOMINISUMBRABumblepantssnowhitieMr_CrossstluxSeijiAmasawaGothamConstructionCoLittleLoripharmjodmithridatebandit778kezgratefulnatricecakeomnium

Comments

• jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 708
    Oh boy.  I do remember stacking up/connecting square Duplos to make "popsicles" when I was maybe 4 or 5...maybe?
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 183
    Great question, thanks for hosting...

My first memory is crawling out of my front door and across the road and into a petrol station forecourt, I think I had just turned two. The story from my folks goes that I smelt of petrol for a good few days after.
    FowlerBricksMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Playing with my sister in our house at the time.  That house was torn down about 2 years ago, being replaced by an apartment building.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    Aged 2 at my birthday party in my first family home in Wembley, whacking another child around the head with a blue sandpit spade for taking my red one.  Remember it as clear as day.

The funny thing, I later went off red for my favourite colour to become blue.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRABumblepantsMr_Cross
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    When I was 4 my mom took me to see The Empire Strikes Back. I still loved Star Wars up to the last jedi. The other on is one Xmas Santa got me #590 which continues my love of LEGO to this day.
    bandit778
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 616
    I threw sand at some kid in preschool
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,332
    Hmmmm...I remember having surgery on my eye when I was 2. Pretty sure it is not a real memory though, and more likely a false memory formed over time hearing about it from others.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,624
    When I got like six different fire vehicles (not Lego sadly) for Christmas and not wanting to go the the Christmas Eve service because I wanted to play with them. I think I was four or five.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,903
    dannyrww said:
    Hmmmm...I remember having surgery on my eye when I was 2. Pretty sure it is not a real memory though, and more likely a false memory formed over time hearing about it from others.
    Funny, I have a similar recollection of an early surgery around the same age.  And similar reservations as to whether they are actual memories!

On a more positive note, I remember getting an oversized plastic 1982 Darrell Waltrip Mountain Dew NASCAR racecar - and it was my prized possession for a few years.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 814
    Mine is when I was anywhere from 3-5.  A motorcyclist hit our dog right in front of me and just rode off.  I just remember being confused and not being sure how to react (to be sad, angry).  Sorry for the downer. 
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 294
    I remember going to my first baseball practice. I was 4 and it was the summer before kindergarten. Didn’t want to go but my mom made me. Ended up loving it and played through high school. Also remember getting #6080 for Christmas when I was 9. Was so excited, and still have the set. 
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 236
    My oldest memory is when I was 3-5 years old, and I’m not even certain of this actually happened, but I was walking around my house holding my new hippo flashlight, and I rember a dog coming up and biting me. A very scarring first memory.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • IceCreamCloneIceCreamClone Chicago-ishMember Posts: 70
    My earliest childhood memory is actually a dream I had about walking along a bridge with my parents and then suddenly falling off. It was the first time I had the classic "falling" dream and needless to say I woke up terrified.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    Mine would be falling off my deck when I was 3. 
    FowlerBricks
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 487
    It was my 3rd/4th birthday party and I got a goldfish - I remember my mother cutting the corner of the bag the fish was in to empty it into the fishbowl and the fish getting jammed in the hole as it wasn't big enough for him to pass through.

There was a bit of panic but I think he got to the bowl.  Eventually
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    Thanks @samiam391 for hosting.

Oldest solid, irrefutable memory was being in the front passenger seat of my Dads two week old purple XC Fairmont station wagon when we were T boned from across a T intersection.  I remember vividly the other driver starting to throw punches and dragging my father from the drivers seat onto the road before realising he'd just pulled a 130kg+ 6'4" Naval Police Officer out of his car (I'm assuming due to adrenalin) and reLising the mistake he made as My old man stood up (with about a foot and forty odd kilos weight advantage)and started beating six shades of shit out the other guy, another passenger from the other car and the first police officer on the scene.  I'm entirely sure ALL of the adults involved were drunk and vividly remember that both my three year old brother and I and a little boy and girl from the other car were all wandering around dazed and confused while all the grown ups punched the living shit out of each other.  A nice little old lady sat all of us kids down on the side of the road and gave us lemonade and jelly beans while the parents all STILL wanted to punch on...  My dad REALLY loved that car!

Ahhhh the seventies...
    Muftak1Mr_Crosspharmjod
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 353
    I remember the first time I was allowed to take a photo with my dads camera - must have been 3 or 4. I was trusted to press the button and most importantly not drop the camera. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,821
    My earliest memory is screaming for help at the age of three because the toilet paper was out. A beautiful first memory to be sure.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMr_Cross
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 387
    My dad getting pulled over for speeding in Kansas (we were travelling between MN and NM) I've had a dislike for the state ever since. 
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    I remember pooping in the bath then using it as a submarine. I guess it was a shame I didn't produce a few surface ships too.
    BumblepantsMAGNINOMINISUMBRApharmjod
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 260
    I try to answer this question, and suddenly I’ve forgotten everything that I’ve ever done ever...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAbandit778
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,940
    Back in the days when the internet hadn't been invented, google referred to how your eyes would go if you watched too much telly and having a mobile phone meant you had a really long cord on it, pastimes were largely spent in the great outdoors and involved things like roller skates, climbing trees and the old favourite of flying a kite, which brings me round to what i recall as my earliest memory.

During one of the many school holidays we used to get, for some reason my sister and I had been given one of these devices each.

They came in kit form, 3 or 4 aluminium poles, a plastic piece for inserting said poles, a reel of nylon string and (what seemed like) a huge diamond shaped clear plastic sheet that according to the packaging, were adorned with a picture of an owl (or something similar) on my sister's, and a large picture of a bat on mine.

After the excitement of receiving these amazing flying behemoths we then had to wait for a suitably windy day to arrive and when it came, we set off with our parents to a undisclosed location for the opportunity to reach to the heavens with our new acquisitions.
    From what I remember the excitement of this was tempered somewhat by the fact that when we arrived at the location, the kites still had to be assembled.

This doesn't sound like a lot but it wasn't helped by the fact that the kites instructions for which pole went where and how the strings were placed and tied were suitably ignored by my dad, who for some reason thought instructions were for other people and he didn't need them.

My kite was the guinea pig for the trial and error method of assembly and it seemed to take forever to put together but mistakes had been learnt from during the assembly of my sister's kite and it went together a lot quicker.
    After both kites were finally assembled, it was time for the maiden flights.
    Excitement was ramped up again as mine was to go up first, the plan was that my dad would get it off the ground and then hand me the controls to swoop my kite through the air in awe and amazement. 
    Anyone who has tried this sort of thing will know that this is easier said than done.
    After 10 to 15 attempts to catch the right gust of wind without the kite plummeting back to the earth with a thump, it happened.

The wind caught it just right, the kite soared upwards, my dad frantically letting out nylon string to keep up with the strong gust of wind that was tearing at the billowing sheet of plastic.

The kite  flew higher and higher, so all you could see in the sky was the imposing silhouette of the bat, it was there, it was time for me to take the controls but then disaster....

...my kite broke free of it's earth bound restraint and was merrily drifting away across multiple fields, all by itself, never to be seen again.
    My father was left standing there, holding on to the now tangled and lifeless mess that was supposed to be my kites control system and that was that, finished, no more kite for me.

Of course, during the rest of the day my sister's kite was offered up as a consolation prize by my parents, much to the annoyance of my sister (sibling rivalry and all that) but it wasn't the same.

MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMr_CrossFowlerBricksgratefulnatstlux
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 448
    Getting caught in the closing doors of a tube train aged about 4 or 5, I’m particularly careful these days 
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 287
    My oldest memory is that one day I felt like the kind because I could run around in the garden of my grandma with her lawmmover. I was like the boss doing some grown up stuff. I think I was 4 at that age.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 998
    Probably visiting my Mum in hospital when I was two. The memory used to be clearer but I know it's true because I once astounded my Mum by relating details about it. Position in the ward, colours of things etc. and I was holding my big sister's hand. Mum was ok, as an adult I know she was ok, but as an infant I'm sure I had anxiety about it.

Thanks for hosting @samiam391, nice question, but if I'm the lucky one this week, please pick another number or the best recollection as determined by likes. I don't need the Policeman thank you.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 282
    Good question @samiam391 Around 4 seems to be a common age for strong first memories. Mine is of a family trip by ship from U.K. to South Africa and in particular the ceremony on crossing the equator which involved at least one mermaid, some weird costumes and lots of soaking with buckets of water. Probably so far out of my normal life experience to that point that it has stuck.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 447
    Watching G1 Transformers at grandma's.
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 205
    My very earliest memory is walking along some hospital corridors in Northallerton with my dad when I was 3, and entering a room with my mum sat up in a hospital bed with my new baby brother. Don't remember anything else about the day whatsoever, but those vague memories have never gone away.
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    Mine,  in not sure how old i was exactly but i was still in my crib,  i remember playing with the family dog throughthe bars of the crib. 
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    I was 4 i think,  and remember playing football with the kids in the block. I remember scoring my first ever goal then 
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 367
    Thanks for hosting @samiam391!

My wife always tells me I'm terrible at remembering anything from my childhood. I do remember our holidays to the Isle of Wight, and creating (with the help of mum and dad) a scrapbook for each trip. 
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,048
    A red tricycle with blue & yellow wheels in the back garden.
    It was either that or playing in the coal bunker
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 476
    edited June 2018
    Having an accident when I fell off my tricycle aged about 3 and cut my head open. I remember clearly being most concerned when I was at the hospital when they said they would have to cut my favourite t-shirt off me as it wouldn’t fit over my head and was covered in blood! 
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 385
    The earliest memory I can date is the Queens Silver Jubilee, I would have been coming up for 4.  My dad took me out with him on the Saturday morning while he helped put up the bunting and tables in the street next to us.  I was sitting watching all the goings on, and the Sex Pistols was played over the loudspeakers and someone commented about playing that.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAToc13
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    It's either of jumping on my parents' bed, or being in a wine shop - either way I must have been about 2!
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 214
    Being lost in a department store as a 4 yr old and freaking out silently until I caught sight of my dad again.

Getting stitches on my head after I banged my head against a glass tabletop.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    Thanks to @samiam391 for hosting.

I've got lots of vague recollections that I suspect have mostly been reconstructed from being told things and photos, but the earliest I have a clear vision of...  Riding a plank with wheels on it at my nursery school.  Not very exciting but as there are no pictures I am sure this one is real!
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 216
    My first memory is of climbing on my nappy changing table and pretending I was driving a big truck. It’s funny, but with a boy of my own now who is just over two years old, it seems childhood memories come much quicker and clearer...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Getting stuck in a laundry hamper at age 3-4 and refusing help from my mom, all while saying “I do!” 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 851
    Earliest memory is fighting shoulder to shoulder with King Zzyzzxx of Phlarxxxis IX against the evil Splargons. Unfortunately I got hit with an anti-grav shell. As I flew up into space I remember seeing the beautiful mercury oceans glistening like freshly-shaved gloof-monkeys before every pore in my body exploded.

Past lives do count, right?
    Mr_CrossToc13MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    Being inside my cot with this cool space light. :-D
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,124
    Deja Vu
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 266
    I believe I was fours years old, out grocery shopping with my mom, which I loved to do because then I could meander off to the toy shelves and drool over all the cool stuff on display.

I remember taking a matchbox car, walking back to my mom and the cart, and casually placing it in the shopping cart among all the groceries. It obviously took my mom about two seconds to spot it, and she instructed me to return it which I pretended to do.

Upon check out at the cashier, the car somehow mysteriously appeared on the conveyor belt, and again I had to return it. I remember being absolutely crushed and bawling my eyes out, all to no avail. The cashier was very sympathetic and consoling, but she didn't let me have the car either.

Maybe explains my obsessive collecting of LEGO...
    bandit778
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,292
    Christmas when I was 4 or 5 years old. Main present was a basic Lego set. I opened it, took out a red 2x8 brick and a pair of wheels and made a very basic car that I drove round on a PVC Christmas tablecloth.
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 74
    My earliest/most vivid childhood memory is of me, my three brothers and sister all in the same bed on Christmas Eve.  The bedroom had wallpaper with steam trains on it.  Me and my two older brothers were excited because we knew Santa would visit that night.  My youngest brother was a toddler and my sister was 3, but I remember them being all smiles.  It was a good evening for our family. 

Brainslugged
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    Our dog chew on my playmobil diver figure,well his face and helmet had sone nice marks after that! Guess that was karma for having playmobil instead of Lego?! :)
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 701
    I was 4,late 70's,dad was serving in the army in Northern Ireland at the height of IRA troubles..just remember our house getting pelters as we lived on the outskirts of the barracks..scary times..
    Toc13
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 262
    Standing on tricycle while my elder brother pedaled.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    Bonus Ball = 50; that means tonight's winner is...

NOONE haha (unless we count 2 comments after this).

Maybe a RNG will suffice :-D
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,048
    ^rollover :-D