Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Dark Red vs New Dark Red

milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 388
I'm after a large number of tiles for a MOC. Ideally I want them in New Dark Red. I only have pieces in the New Dark Red so have no idea how it compares with the original Dark Red. Looking on Bricklink I can't find any tiles listed as New Dark Red, just Dark Red.

Any idea how much difference there is between the two, if any. Thanks

Comments

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 906
    There is a difference, the original dark red (anything before or circa 2003/4) isn't as solid or dense in the pigment/material, i.e. if you hold these pieces up to the light, light shows through them quite distinctly whereas the newer parts let less light penetrate through them... if that makes sense. There is also a subtle difference in the colour, to my eyes the older ones look more red and the newer ones have a hint of brown. There has been talk of this elsewhere, iirc.
    milamber
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 388
    edited June 2018
    Cheers I did search in the forum first, but couldn't see anything specific. Maybe had to go further back if the change was that long ago. It's that hint of brown that I like :)

Could I assume then that any new tiles for sale on Bricklink will be the New Dark Red rather than the old 2003/4 iteration? I can't find any listed as New Dark Red, just Dark Red.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,544
    It is essentially the same thing. Nothing like the the difference between old and new grays or brown and reddish brown. Given the color variation found within Lego bricks of the same color these days I wouldn't stress over it. 
    milambermadforLEGOMr_Crossgmonkey76Daragh
    Thanks
    Bumblepants
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    IMO if you want to ensure you get 'new dark red', then buy from LEGO direct, or buy 'new' condition parts from bricklink sellers as it will likely be the new red. I also agree with @Bumblepants ; with shading differences in LEGO for the past 15 years, you may not notice. The only way to really know is to get an 'old' dark red with a 'new' one and compare.
    milamberMr_CrossBumblepantsgmonkey76
    Cheers. I will only order new parts anyway. I'm sure it won't make much difference anyway. Just that I have a few bricks in the 'new' red and the colour is perfect for what I have in mind.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,747
    I think ultimately the main difference is just "new dark red is more consistent". So some older Dark Red colors might be a close match for "New Dark Red" while others might not be. In any case the difference tends to be pretty subtle, not much greater than the inconsistencies you used to see in lots of other colors in the early 2000s.

LEGO doesn't really seem to differentiate between Dark Red and New Dark Red internally like they do between newer and older brown, grey, silver, or gold colors (indeed, they have the same ID number, and all Dark Red parts they have made are listed on LEGO Customer Service as New Dark Red), so I think it's just a slight reformulation that's still meant to achieve the same target color as the original.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 906
    I'd definitely order from LEGO, Bricklink doesn't distinguish the colour (I doubt any individual seller will either) and prices in the UK for 'new' look to be equal if not more (in meaningful quantities) than the prices on Bricks and Pieces which is £0.08, element ID 4539105.
    I agree there is little difference in colour when you consider the current variation in newly produced pieces, but I think the odd one of the older more subtly translucent ones could stick out, then again, the variation might look fantastic!
    madforLEGOmilamber
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    edited June 2018
    Mr_Cross said:
    I'd definitely order from LEGO, Bricklink doesn't distinguish the colour (I doubt any individual seller will either) and prices in the UK for 'new' look to be equal if not more (in meaningful quantities) than the prices on Bricks and Pieces which is £0.08, element ID 4539105.
    I agree there is little difference in colour when you consider the current variation in newly produced pieces, but I think the odd one of the older more subtly translucent ones could stick out, then again, the variation might look fantastic!
    Agreed, LEGO is cheaper sometimes than bricklink of you are hunting for large quantities as it seems on BL the piece for new parts goes up with the quantities available at a store. Though one also has to keep in mind the limit per part on an order through LEGO is 200 per a specific piece ordered (so 200 max for a dark red 2x2 tile for example). Not really easy to hit if you are buying unique type parts, but can come up fast if buying tiles/brick for a large design :-)
    milamberMr_Cross
    Thanks again. I couldn't find them on Pick a Brick. Only 9 bricks come up under a 'new dark red' search. I assumed that was the same as Bricks and Pieces. Obviously not.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,294
    Can the same be said for Old Sand Green and New Sand Green??? 
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 608
    milamber said:
    Thanks again. I couldn't find them on Pick a Brick. Only 9 bricks come up under a 'new dark red' search. I assumed that was the same as Bricks and Pieces. Obviously not.
    You should be pretty safe ordering on BrickLink.  Remember - old Dark Red hasn't been made in ~15 years, so the chance you are ordering from a seller that has 15 year old stock is very low. 
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 608
    Pitfall69 said:

Yes, but really its true for all colors.  Over the last 10-15 years, TLG moved from pre-colored ABS pellets to computer-controlled color mixing at time of production.  So the color quality moved from third party supplier to in house control.

Other notable colors with variation based on new vs old generation:
    • Yellow - this seems like it should have been an easy basic color to make consistent, but try building a solid yellow MOC sometime...
    • Reddish Brown - the early years of "new" brown have some inconsistency
    • Maersk Blue - this was short lived, as the color was discontinued years ago, but there are visible differences in "new" and "old" Maersk.

madforLEGO
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,167
    DadsAFOL said:
    Pitfall69 said:

Yes, but really its true for all colors.  Over the last 10-15 years, TLG moved from pre-colored ABS pellets to computer-controlled color mixing at time of production.  So the color quality moved from third party supplier to in house control.

Did this change correspond to the increase in color inconsistency reported by members of this forum? My impression is the consistency has gotten worse, which seems odd if TLG is exercising more control, not less.
    gmonkey76
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    SNIP
    TLG moved from pre-colored ABS pellets to computer-controlled color mixing at time of production. 
    SNIP

It's a TRS80...
    They use their fancy  computer, the VIC-20, to run their website...
    Mr_Crossdmcc0TheOriginalSimonBomniumBaby_YodaAstrobricks
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    SNIP
    TLG moved from pre-colored ABS pellets to computer-controlled color mixing at time of production. 
    SNIP

It's a TRS80...
    They use their fancy  computer, the VIC-20, to run their website...
    Oh that's high tech! On an episode of How It's Made they showed some ancient looking machine making something (I think some sort of fabric), and the narrator explained how the data was entered on a computer. Pan over to what looked like an early Apple II.