Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - 23/06

Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,048
edited June 2018 in Everything else LEGO
I've been asked to host this week. Well, technically, I was asked to host last week but I pleaded special circumstances for this week & @snowhitie kindly agreed
The reason why I wanted this week is because it's my birthday tomorrow & seemed to good a chance to miss.

This week's question concerns birthdays. A time for getting older, having fun, presents &....Cake!
One of my most memorable birthday cakes was when I was very young (5, possibly 6) & had a bunch of cowboys fighting for control of a Cadbury's Finger fort. There may have been toasted coconut sand. For some reason, this one has stayed with me while many others have been long forgotten about.

So- the question:
What was your most memorable birthday cake?

A carefully selected polybag from my random stash for the winner.

Mr_CrossBumblepantsstluxFowlerBricksGothamConstructionCobandit778snowhitievizzitordonutboySpeedman29SeijiAmasawaLego_StarLobotLostInTranslationSumoLegoricecakeLegoboyCOOLEGOMAGNINOMINISUMBRA

Comments

• historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 353
    I always love a caterpillar cake! 
    Toc13Lego_Star
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835
    My wife made a ridiculous triceratops cake for me one year. It was a lot of cakes carved and stacked into a sculpture.
    stluxMr_CrossLittleLoriToc13gmonkey76bandit778snowhitievizzitor
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 133
    edited June 2018
    For my own birthday, I always have the same kind of cake - Black Forest. This has been true for more years Han forty years. The best part is eating it for breakfast the next day.

Hope you have wonderful birthday @Toc13
    Toc13vizzitorLego_Star
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,626
    Mine would be a firetruck when I was younger. I was obsessed with firetrucks back then and had to have one as a cake. :D

Happy Birthday @Toc13 !!
    LittleLoriToc13gmonkey76Bumblepantsbandit778snowhitievizzitor
  • daniellelego82daniellelego82 Manchester, UKMember Posts: 37
    I grew up with a nanna who was a cake maker and made some of the most wonderful birthday and wedding cakes...... for other people, i dont think she actually ever made me a birthday cake!!!! for me it was always a marks and spencers catapillar cake which at the age of 35 i still have.
    Toc13Lego_Star
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,002
    My mum made me an otter for my tenth birthday (or thereabouts). Otters were/are my favourite animal. Despite what my avatar might suggest!

Happy birthday and thanks for hosting!
    Toc13
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    My earliest memory for a cake - a cat, with eyes made from the round yellow licorice allsorts (Bertie Bassett's head, but in yellow) and a nose form the blue bobbly one (his feet). Whiskers made from licorice bootlaces.
    Toc13LittleLorivizzitor
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    I had a cowboy and Indian cake when I was little. Unfortunately my sister's bday is 4 days before mine so half the cake was Cinderella. 
    Toc13
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 372
    I don't really remember any of the birthday cakes as I grew up (aside from the ever-present Colin the Caterpillar from M&S), but we had great fun making a flamingo-themed one for my 2-year old this year, who loves "mingos".

Hope you have a good birthday @Toc13! Thanks for hosting :)
    LittleLoriToc13
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 216
    We had a Lego themed one for our two year old son only last month! My wife made it all by hand, no molds or anything, and it looked GREAT. Our son loved it!
    Toc13vizzitor
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 620
    My grandma made me a birthday cake to look like  Lightning McQueen one year
    Toc13
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 283
    A die cast vehicle construction site cake with all of my favorite Machines. 
    Toc13vizzitorFowlerBricks
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 532
    Every year I have the same cake. German chocolate with coconut pecan frosting. The one that stands out for me is the year that for some reason my wife decided to switch it up and got me an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen instead. 

Oh, man, relationships are hard. 
    Toc13
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 216
    Vanilla cake with passionfruit filling topped with coconut buttercream and shredded coconut...so amazing!
    Happy birthday! 
    Toc13
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    My mam made the same birthday cake for everyone - chocolate sponge with chocolate icing and walnuts/cherries on top. Pretty unexciting stuff, until my 9th birthday when she tripped over the dog on the way to putting it down on the table. It splattered all over the patio door into the conservatory.

I put all my mam's cakes straight in the bin now since I bit down on a piece of glass from a Christmas cake she made 3 years ago.
    Toc13vizzitor
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 289
    Chocolade cake with on top a picture of the M.A.S.K. Rhino truck.

Toc13vizzitoralldarkerricecake
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    A Lego minifigure cake.
    Toc13vizzitor
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 230
    edited June 2018
    I haven't had a cake in years but back when I was ickle, my mother would mostly make me one. Just about each year it was a chocolate cake with fresh cream, all smothered in chocolate stuff.

She knew me better than to spend any time making different shapes or decorations or even putting on any more than one or two candles. As soon as that last cake was free from a spatula or left unattended, a big section was cut out and on my plate in seconds!

Happy birthday @Toc13
    Toc13
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,943
    According to my mum she's made loads of different shaped cakes but I don't remember any of them except for one (which either means they weren't that memorable or with age, the memory banks have finally starting deleting old files my mind no longer has room for).
    The one cake I do remember was a chocolate cake shaped like a hedgehog with vast amounts of chocolate icing and sliced almonds which were half stuck in the icing as the hedgehogs spikes. Tasted bloomin good as well.
    snowhitieToc13
  • HarrymattpotterHarrymattpotter UKMember Posts: 46
    I had a cake made by one of my mum's friends themed around Harry Potter, it was complete with a realistic marauders  Map, wand and chocolate frog, it even had the memorable 'happee birthday' quote in the centre!
    Toc13
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,574
    My son's third birthday cake. It was a multi-tiered robot. My wife and I put it together (mind you, neither of us had complex cake building experience). It was a hit and will always go down in my mind as one of my favorites. 
    Toc13ricecake
  • kendalbrickskendalbricks Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2018
    My favourite cake was made by my Mum for my sixth birthday. It was a chocolate sponge, covered with grey sugar frosting shaped into ridges and craters to represent the moon. All over the top were Lego classic spacemen and little space vehicles! From memory it had #6702, #6805, #6807 and #6847 on it - my favourite theme and favourite cake. Still makes me smile thinking of it now. 
    Mr_CrossToc13560Heliport
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 710
    My daughter made me a Groot Cake a few years back which was unexpected and ace. She was nine I think, I was, ahem 40 something.

She also made the cat a birthday cake which was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Wishing you a very happy birthday @Toc13
    snowhitieToc13FowlerBricksbandit778Mr_CrossricecakeLittleLoristluxGothamConstructionCo
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 236
    My favorite was from when I was very young and it was a Thomas the train cake with track icing and a real toy on top.
    Toc13
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,835
    I really can't pick just one. My mom went to cake decorating classes, and had a ton of decorating stuff. All the cakes she did were great.
    Toc13
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 392
    A pirate ship, with rice paper sails and liqourice cannons!  
    Toc13
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    There’s a home video of me talking to one of my birthday cakes (I guess around 5th birthday)...my voice is too quiet to hear on the tape but I remember that I was reassuring the cake (shaped like a pig) that it wouldn’t feel a thing.

Yes I was just as weird as a kid as I am now :-P
    Toc13bandit778snowhitiedmcc0
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 708
    A blue frosted cake with some sort of ice crystal sugar decoration.  Was supposed to be a Mr. Freeze cake.  The real surprise was the addition of some Batman and Robin Microverse figures on it.  Good ol' 1997 (or 1998).
    Toc13
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    I haven't had a birthday cake in so long, it's hard to remember. So I'll have to go with one of the few I can remember, a Darth Vader cake for my 10th birthday.
    Toc13
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    I had 2 x 4 brick LEGO Sugar cookies one year.
    Toc13
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited June 2018
    I honestly can not remember any of my birthday cakes. In fact I rarely had birthday parties growing up as the weather around here made travel dangerous around my birthday. 

My wedding cake however was brick styled with a custom lego topper I had made special for the big day.
    Toc13snowhitie
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,133
    edited June 2018
    Any birthday cake I have ever had that was made by Harry Gow with double cream and jam fillings. Mmm, yum! A closely run second is Costco's giant carrot cake. Both of these taste absolutely delicious but it's rare I get either of them for my birthday so it's extra special when I do, regardless of my age.

Honourable mention to Babycakes @BOBJACK_JACKBOB who has made some deeelicious cakes for the Glasgow LEGO brand store (see below) to enjoy which I have partaken of a slice or two. To be fair they taste as awesome as my favourites above, only I've not had one as a birthday cake.

Mmmm cake! Now I fancy a big slice and a cup of tea. :o)
    Thanks for hosting @Toc13
    FowlerBricks560HeliportdonutboyToc13snowhitiericecakeLittleLoristluxBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 447
    I prefer ice cream cakes, and I've had some pretty crazy/fancy/delicious custom combos from Coldstone, but nothing will beat the memories of a standard Carvel ice cream cake I had as a kid.
    Toc13snowhitieLego_Star
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,298
    When I was about 7 or 8 my mum made me an F1 car cake, complete with licorice whirl wheels. She was forever making cool cakes. My brother was into electronics and she made a PCB cake. There were magazine front cover cakes and more. Now my mother in law makes a cake for me. Chocolate sponge, chocolate filling, chocolate icing with chocolates stuck on top!

My wife had a cake nightmare when she was 3. A teddy cake with coconut frosting on it. Mid party, surrounded by her friends, the summer sun melted the icing and the head slid off and onto her plate. 37yrs later she is still traumatised by it.

Thanks for hosting and Happy Birthday @Toc13
    Mr_CrossToc13snowhitiericecake
  • janscjansc The Netherlands Member Posts: 56
    Not so long ago I got a Minecraft cake which looked excellent.
    FowlerBricksToc13
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 285
    For my 50th (already a fading memory) I had a splendid Tardis cake and although it was substantial, unfortunately it wasn’t bigger on the inside. 
    Have a super birthday @Toc13
    Toc13snowhitieBumblepants
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 711
    I currently receive a sponge cake with strawberry jam on top..with desiccated coconut on top of that and drowned in custard..mmmmm!
    Toc13Lego_Star
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    The only birthday cake that I remember was shaped like a pair of breasts when I was 18.
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    I remember that my mom always cooked my birthday cakes. I remember an towering cake decorated with orange slices and chocolate frosting. It was delicious
    Lego_StarToc13
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 260
    I had a cake shaped like the CMF Lizard Man for my 30th a few years ago
    Toc13
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,510
    edited June 2018
    I had a cool cake with a screen and keyboard when I was younger. Liked that one.

Happy Birthday.
    Toc13
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 193
    I never really had big cakes because my birthday is in the summer holidays and everyone was always away, but my brother did have an amazing 3rd birthday cake once - Mums friend made it - it was a dragon and had smarties for eyes, red liquorice tongue, chocolate spikes, it was fab!
    Toc13
  • toftof Member Posts: 147
    One of my most recent ones was a very tasty homemade almond cake. Yummy!
    Toc13
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    Apparently my mum once spent hours shaping and icing a rocket cake, and I walked in to say “ooh, a clown’s hat”...
    Toc13
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,942
    edited June 2018
    Can't say as I have a favorite cake.  Maybe ice cream cake?  Cookiepuss!

snowhitieToc13
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 263
    A He-man cake for my 4th birthday. I ate his head. :)
    Toc13
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,346
    edited June 2018
    Happy birthday @Toc13 ;     
    So you were not born on 23th of December, but on the polar opposite exactly 6 months later. On anti-festivus day (perhaps)?! Good for you! Besides 23 is a good number, I think.
    As any and all Seinfeld aficionados know, on the 23rd of December people celebrate a Festivus for the rest of us! So no unadorned aluminium festivus pole for you! No airing of grievances, and no feats of strength. You were not born on this most miraculous day, therefore may thou instead receive and eat lots of cake, and I do not mean Beefcake (unless that happens to be your thing)! But such lovely delights such as Schwartswalderkirsch, or a many layered champagne flavoured cake with raspberry filling etc. Or lemon meringue pie with champagne for breakfast, or/and macarons. Any time of the day is a good time for cake (or/and champagne), well at least if it is a delicious cake, and cake ought to be delicious!
    May your birthday cake be as exquisite in both taste and looks as the ones from this documentary:

That is how I like my cake! And with a glass of champagne or two, or three.
    Toc13