Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

007 Aston Martin official LEGO?

Comments

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 548
    2 in 1 Aston Martin - you choose whether you build a DB5 or DBS? Creator is nowadays the only System theme that consistently takes pride in its alternative model rebuilds but it's never done that with the cars before.

I still to some degree trust the DBS silhouette more than the quotes - just because they're classic lines from the DB5 era perhaps that's all they're meant to be - nostalgia. There was that cheeky joke when Bond suggested he might eject M from his (Skyfall) DB5 if he felt so inclined. But TLG doesn't exactly have a watertight track record when it comes to shrouding secrets - remember the translucent wrapping around the latest UCS Falcon reveal.
    Mr_Cross
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 419
    If people are still talking about a vehicle from the later films, then my vote (another long shot) is for this:

As a bonus for TLG, it'll be way easier to make a set out of than any of the other suggested vehicles. :)
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,019
    Mr_Cross said:
    There's another teaser up on instagram, it's not on LEGO's twitter feed and I haven't looked elsewhere so it might be a leak. It certainly muddies the water though, because it definitely and very strongly suggests a DB5!

The real leak in that post can be found in the tags. Who woulda thunk Lego would come out with a new "Sistem" theme?!
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,472
    ^Unrelated but I really loathe accounts that tag everything that exists that doesn't even come close to pertaining to the photo at hand. Lego Elves? How does that help anyone searching for Elves or interested in finding a Lego Aston Martin leak?
    dmcc0Baby_YodaMr_CrossAstrobricks
    ^ The hashtag is something I generally loathe. It's taken far too seriously, so that everything else is disregarded. You say "Stop bullying!" and nobody bats an eye. You say #StopBullying and everyone loses their minds.
    pharmjod
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    Slightly off-topic, but a car I'd really like to see in Speed Champions (or even better, as a Creator Expert set) is the Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak:

davetheoxygenmansklamb
    Perhaps we will get a Comic-Con reveal for this set. The 007 tie-in might be enough to warrant it and it would be a good opportunity for Lego to catch the eye of customers who might not normally be looking for Lego.
    LostInTranslation
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 264
    A prominent front spoiler - looking good to match the silhouette. But still a little odd if the next Bond film isn't out until next year. From a marketing perspective, why not wait?
    Mr_Cross
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 973
    They're normally a year or two too late to the zeitgeist.
     Why not shake it up and be a year too early...
    BumblepantsMaffyD
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,423
    I just don't trust the silhouette - I reckon it's a DB5. But I'll buy anything Aston Martin related.
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    edited June 2018
    They say it’s supposed to cost 280£. I reckon it’ll be in scale with the Porsche then...1:8. I am so hyped!

*and it’s definitely a db5
    ^Who is they? DB5 is welcome news although I would've bought whatever it is
    Mr_Cross
    edited June 2018
    In July there will be two VIP releases, on the 18th as well as on the 23rd. Which one do you think belongs to the Aston? Do you remember when the Beetle or the London bus got their VIP releases?
    Here's a couple of scenarios as to why we've seen the DBS silhouette, whilst all the other official teasers have been very much DB5 based:

1.) TLG were going to do the Aston Martin DBS as the Creator Expert model, in somewhat of a similar approach to the Ferrari F40 - as a coup with being able to produce Aston Martin models as a car brand - however talks progressed and licensing became available to tie into Bond - synonymous with Aston Martin - and neither TLG nor Aston Martin could refuse.
    2.) Simply a matter of what the leaked catalogue designer had to hand - perhaps when they were designing they were either provided with a silhouette that looked like a DBS or someone didn't quite know Aston Martin well enough as a brand - or the DBS was simply just a restriction whilst the actual product was finalised.

There is of course a third route that there is really a reason for the DBS silhouette to exist, but seems very unlikely at this point. After all, it wasn't officially revealed by TLG whereas the DB5 related quotes are all official!
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 346
    I’m just hoping at least one Aston Martin appears in 2019 Speed Champions, assuming there will be one, but I don’t see why there wouldn’t be. Gotta add more brands to keep the theme fresh, and Aston Martin’s a great choice.
    MaffyD
    Aight’ good news guys. Voltron just claimed the 23rd for himself, so our Aston is coming out on the 18th of July!
    Baby_Yoda
    ^ I anticipate another reveal from TLG very soon then, would rather Aston Martin was revealed before the Megazord but beggars can't be choosers. 
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,000
    Just seen another post- the quotes are from Skyfall & are about the DB5
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 875
    Looks like the release will be July 18th at a special event at the LEGO store in Leicester Square. from 10:07 until 13:00.

https://www.facebook.com/events/215037699137563/

omniumstlux
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 704
    edited July 2018
    Now to see if I can rearrange my work day.... I've run out of vacation this year :-O
    I'm guessing this will be busier than TRON, despite being during the working day...
    Mr_Cross
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 467
    Mr_Cross said:
    Looks like the release will be July 18th at a special event at the LEGO store in Leicester Square. from 10:07 until 13:00.

https://www.facebook.com/events/215037699137563/

I think all the stores are doing this. I know my local one has a special launch thing planned for 18th July at 10:07 too, although probably not to the same scale as Leicester Square!
    Mr_Cross
    ^^ 10:07? Really? That's incredibly specific!
    @Baby_Yoda presumably just a 007 gag to be cute.
    AstrobricksBaby_Yoda
  • SD449SD449 Norwich, EnglandMember Posts: 39
    Will this be the type of event where you have to sleep on the street to get in or is there a chance if you show up at 9/10am?
    I think the queue started a couple of hours ago, there's a bloke in a tux with a camp seat and a thermos there already.

Slightly more seriously though, you probably need to be there before 7.00!
    SD449
  • SD449SD449 Norwich, EnglandMember Posts: 39
    Mr_Cross said:
    I think the queue started a couple of hours ago, there's a bloke in a tux with a camp seat and a thermos there already.

Slightly more seriously though, you probably need to be there before 7.00!
    Thank you

I’ve never done anything like this before so think I’ll stay over night and get up early 

Is it a friendly enjoyable event or quite overwhelming?
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 704
    SD449 said:

Is it a friendly enjoyable event or quite overwhelming?
    These events have been friendly, and generally quite orderly. At the MilF launch, it was quite a jovial affair. The TRON launch was quite muted, with not many people mingling or interacting. But then, the falcon queue stretched over more hours, so people had even more time to get to know each other!
    SD449
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    They really should have done the launch at 00:07...
    omniumMuftak1MAGNINOMINISUMBRABaby_Yoda
    edited July 2018
    SD449 said:
    Will this be the type of event where you have to sleep on the street to get in or is there a chance if you show up at 9/10am?
    ITS BOND BABY!

Jump a dirt bike sideways through the front door at 10.06, drown the pimply git in the LEGO shirt in one of the tubs in the pick a brick wall and the first set is yours.  Leave the store shaking the set above your head triumphantly while making a "LEGO - shaken, not stirred" quip!

Note: should you or any of your force be killed or captured, the author of this comment will disavow any knowledge of your actions...

Hold on... Wrong franchise
    Mr_CrossomniumAstrobricksobi_gBaby_YodaSumoLegoFowlerBricks
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    Great, how the hell am I going to get a license to build in 16 days
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRALittleLori
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,102
    edited July 2018
    Confirmed as a DB5 on the Facebook page of the Lego Certified Store in Budapest.

HUF 49.000, which converts to approx EUR150/USD175/GBP135. (Keep in mind that Hungary has 25% VAT)
    AstrobricksMr_CrossomniumThe_RancormadforLEGO
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 346
    edited July 2018
    While I won’t be able to afford this one, I still hope we get a DB5 or any Aston Martin in Speed Champions.

Yes, I know I keep bringing that up, but Aston is a perfect fit for the SC line, so I’m hoping they capitalize on this new license.
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76
    So the release is 18th July but we might get official pics before that date? I hope so. Coincidentally, I AM on holiday on that day - but many many miles away in Spain with no Lego Stores in sight. Still, it would've been unlikely that I'd have travelled to London for that on a weekday though. I wish these reveals were on weekends, or at least Fridays. I very nearly headed off for the MilF event (with an overnight stay in London) but as I didn't go to that one, I'm unlikely to go to any of them now. At least we can see a report from someone more conveniently situated ;)
    Mr_Cross
    At £135, for me at least, it will need to be made mostly from flat silver (metallic grey or whatever) bricks... I honestly don't need much more grey LEGO. I'd like to see pics before the launch and I'd be surprised if there weren't, they will want to create a buzz in the press.
    The pics of the MilF were out long enough beforehand to get the fans drooling.
    Mr_Cross said:
    At £135, for me at least, it will need to be made mostly from flat silver (metallic grey or whatever) bricks... I honestly don't need much more grey LEGO. I'd like to see pics before the launch and I'd be surprised if there weren't, they will want to create a buzz in the press.
    The pics of the MilF were out long enough beforehand to get the fans drooling.
    I think they would have to mold way too many parts to pull off a full silver model. I am just hoping the bumpers and detailing like door handles, wheels, trim etc. in flat silver. If I could pick any one car for a Creator Expert this would've been it so I am super excited.
    LostInTranslationMr_CrossMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    I'm hoping for a smaller version to accompany this, like the other Creator vehicles.
    BumblepantsMr_CrossMynattsklamb
    How about removing the questionmark guys? Lol
    Bumblepants said:
    I think they would have to mold way too many parts to pull off a full silver model.
    I think you're right. I wasn't considering the available parts. Dammit! I can still have my crazy pipedreams though can't I? I might change my mind about getting it when the pics are leaked/released, especially if there's any chrome, which I guess is also a pipedream.
    Still, 007 LEGO is an exciting development!
    Bumblepants
    I'm still a bit perplexed by the whole tie in.  They won't make sets based on real modern military equipment, or for that matter stuff like Thunderbirds F-16's or Red Arrow's Hawks.  But they will make fictional versions of real life vehicles, driven by fictional members of real life espionage agencies that do real life incredibly shady Shit...
    From my perspective there's some INCREDIBLY blurry lines here...
    Mr_Cross
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,548
    ^ Welcome to Lego
    gmonkey76Mr_CrossSumoLegoJern92Baby_Yoda

^ I imagine there's some kind of ethics/corporate responsibility governance committee that deals with all these kinds of decisions. If their committees are anything like our committees, and their corporate responsibility policies and guidelines are as woolly as ours are, I can easily envisage how we get the sets we do and don't get the others...

Mr_Crossgmonkey76Bumblepants
    ^ I read the above as 'milkshake hooters' and had to check both my eyesight and my political correctness!
    bandit778Mr_Crossobi_gTheOriginalSimonBAstrobricksSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    Almost there:

Mr_Cross
    That is hilarious!
    LostInTranslationMr_CrossSumoLegoJern92
    Hah they definitely learned for the MilF Fiasco regarding the levels adjustment. Hoping the big reveal happens by the end of this week - perhaps a Friday treat?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,067
    MaffyD said:
    ^ I read the above as 'milkshake hooters' and had to check both my eyesight and my political correctness!
    Machine gun jumblies? How did I miss that!?
    gmonkey76SumoLegoMaffyD