The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

3450 vs 21042

DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 598
For anyone interested, here's a size comparison between the new Architecture #21042 and old Sculptures #3450 Statue of Liberty sets.  I was hoping that 21042 would be a bit taller considering its 1600 pieces.  I like the design of the base, but I think the statue is slightly smaller scale, so the proportions are just a little off.  By itself, 21042 is nice, but next to the big one, it looks pretty tiny.

The 21042 build gets a little tedious doing the corners of the base, and the mix of parts 87087, 47905, and 26604 all in sand green (and multiple times in the same build step) was tough.

(Note: please ignore the substituted face.  I'm still tinkering with how to eliminate the pentagon tile.  Anyone solve this yet?)
AleyditadrdavewatfordLittleLoristluxSprinkleOtterricecake

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,231
    What you've done with the "face" is far better than what Lego has done to it. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,902
    oldtodd33 said:
    What you've done with the "face" is far better than what Lego has done to it. 
    I'm guessing a lot of people are trying to figure out how to replace the flat piece. Kinda of surprised that LEGO did not do a better job with it
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 723
    28220 in sand green would have been much better. Not perfect, but better.
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 397
    Another pic of 3450 with Cameron Bethel's amazing 6700+ piece custom base (formerly my set, now resides somewhere in Singapore).

madforLEGOLittleLoriPapaBearFowlerBricksricecake
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 240
    l hope the big one gets a re-release like the taj mahal. OP can you post a closer picture of the custom face on the small one?
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 598
    @leetshoe this version is too cartoonish but I haven't figured out yet how to get the nose to stick out 1/2 plate.  The dimensions are 2 studs wide, or 5 plates on edge wide.  The 5 plates should allow for a center element to protrude, but getting the protrusion and a stud reversal in the same small area has me stumped at the moment.

• msandersmsanders Member Posts: 839
    DadsAFOL said:
    @leetshoe this version is too cartoonish but I haven't figured out yet how to get the nose to stick out 1/2 plate.  The dimensions are 2 studs wide, or 5 plates on edge wide.  The 5 plates should allow for a center element to protrude, but getting the protrusion and a stud reversal in the same small area has me stumped at the moment.

Yeah, its a difficult one. I have to admit that at first sight I thought it looked like Jar Jar!!!
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 683
    ToddMyers said:
    Another pic of 3450 with Cameron Bethel's amazing 6700+ piece custom base (formerly my set, now resides somewhere in Singapore).

I wasn't aware this set was a UCS!
    PapaBearFizyxFowlerBricks
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 390
    Honestly, I couldn't be more disappointed with the Statue of Liberty.  The base looks great, but I don't like how it's the majority of the build.  I'm sure it's not the designer's fault because it would be hard to include the base and an appropriate amount of bricks to detail the statue.

This is a case where I will still be much more interested in getting the original.  I'm sort of glad I don't like it because I won't be spending any unnecessary cash on it.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 683
    PapaBear said:
    This is a case where I will still be much more interested in getting the original.  I'm sort of glad I don't like it because I won't be spending any unnecessary cash on it.

I don't own the set but I'm guessing it's deliberately a scale they haven't really done before in order to add something more than a remake to the line-up. This isn't like Star Wars where we expect to see a new batch of fans every few years - it's a line for adults where people are far more prepared to go through Bricklink etc. to get retired sets. You're not going to randomly walk into a store, see this on the shelf for the first time and impulse-buy it.
    But yeah, sets that disappoint you are always good for your wallet :)
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 397
    Baby_Yoda said:

I wasn't aware this set was a UCS!
    The custom UCS plate came courtesy of Cameron along with his custom base. 
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 839
    DadsAFOL said:

Yeah, its a difficult one. I have to admit that at first sight I thought it looked like Jar Jar!!!
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 197
    [May not be the right place but I didn't want to start a new thread]

How do you verify that a built #3450 is complete. Any particular parts to look at? Any particular section to take apart? No box or original instructions are available.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,691
    mak0137 said:
    [May not be the right place but I didn't want to start a new thread]

How do you verify that a built #3450 is complete. Any particular parts to look at? Any particular section to take apart? No box or original instructions are available.
    Original instructions are there on the Brickset page for it #3450.
    I believe I wasn't clear, I meant that what is being offered is without original instructions hence could be bricklinked with potential substitutes.

In this case, how can I quickly verify that it is substantially complete and the most important pieces are present? 
    edited December 4
    Let's state the obvious here and say all pieces except the torch and baseplate are sand green. The macaroni bricks are the big deal here I think. Cheapest on BL are 25.00 EACH and there are 4 in this set. 
    mak0137
    The next would be the sg 2 x 6 bricks. There are 191 and cost a buck each. 
    mak0137
    oldtodd33 said:
    The next would be the sg 2 x 6 bricks. There are 191 and cost a buck each. 
    Thanks. That's a big help. I can find where these are based on instructions and check for them (4 curved and a bunch of 2x6s).
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,110
    The sand green macaroni was reintroduced with the new Mac mold a year or two ago in Elves. So if you care a lot about 100% authentic you will want the old style macaroni without the extra lines of plastic support underneath.
    oldtodd33mak0137