LEGO in the news again ...

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    That guy is a clown. LEGO is in the news because he was fighting to stay in his parents house. The guy is the ultimate deadbeat
    drdavewatfordgmonkey76SumoLegoPumpkin_3CK5
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,625
    *Sighs* The things that are newsworthy these days.
    SprinkleOtter
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    edited June 2018
    *Sighs* The things that are newsworthy these days.
    I'm afraid dumb news stories are far from new. Just the intertubes makes it all too accessible.
    FizyxFowlerBricks
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    ok, and the point of sharing it in the newspapers? kinda sounds like no one's business, except for the family involved.
    SprinkleOtter
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    edited June 2018
    Fauch said:
    ok, and the point of sharing it in the newspapers? kinda sounds like no one's business, except for the family involved.
    The guy was in court because, if I recall, he was trying to sue his parents to keep living there. Once it is in the courts, it often winds up in the news
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907
    He thought he should have been entitled to reside at their house for 'atleast' six months.

This is why New York has an ejectment action - to eject people from dwellings that they have no legal right to stay in.

It's only news because of the recent trend of pseudo-adults residing with their parents until their mid-thirties.  (But still engaging in adult activities like making babies, recreational drug use and habitual unemployment.)

Yay!

(I'll eagerly await those LEGO to listed on Craigslist!)
    pharmjodgmonkey76BumblepantsBaby_YodadatsunrobbieSprinkleOtter
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 93
    What about pseudo-children living on their own in their late thirties but still engaging in childhood activities like playing with LEGO and consuming a diet consisting entirely of cookies and milkshakes... oh wait... damn... (spots self in mirror, wipes crumbs off shirt, hangs head in shame...)
    Bumblepantsdmcc0SumoLegoAddicted2OxygenAstrobricksworkshybumOldfan
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,225
    I feel sorry for the kid. He just wanted his Lego. Don't we all?
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 893
    Is it against the law if son/daughter continues to stay with parents in their house in US?

We don't have such complications here, at least the parents would not go to such extend to kick the son/daughter out. 
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907
    After the age of emancipation, the familial relationship becomes irrelevant.  Normally, if the individual had no legal right to stay (i.e. a lease or ownership of the premises) the police would remove the individual.

If there is a dispute to the individual's legal rights, the owner may file for forcible ejectment from the premises.

Fun stuff!  These are pretty unusual circumstances - thus why it is newsworthy.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 768
    Lmao I like how the reporter points out the bum's car needed a jumpstart from a pick up truck. This belongs in barshens' sharticles.
    Addicted2Oxygen
    I thought I was bad not leaving home until I was 24! And I'd worked full time since 18. And paid rent/board. And kept my willy in my pants (most of the time...). This dude's just an irresponsible knob jockey. Pretty funny.
    gmonkey76
    irresponsible knob jockey
    I thought we had weird terminology down here in Tasmania...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,782
    Is there really need for the homophobic language?
    edited June 2018
    CCC said:
    homophobic language
    Really?

I suppose if you want to read homophobia into it...

If I called somebody a twat would you read misogyny into it? It is, after all, a colloquial term for a particular part of the female anatomy.

In my part of the world (but clearly not Tassie!) 'knob jockey' is just an amusing sounding insult that's commonly used as a synonym for idiot, moron or jerk. Frankly, I rarely put much thought into the literal meaning of the term when I use it, much as when I use a term like 'douche' or 'ass hat'. I regularly use it to address good friends. Hell, I even use it on my dad from time to time. He usually responds by throwing something small and non-lethal at my head.

It's always been my view that it's not my responsibility to tip-toe around the sensibilities of others. If you want to read meaning into something that wasn't intended then there's not really much I can do about it. However in this case, for the purposes of keeping the peace and maintaining the jovial spirit of this forum, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies to any and all who took offence at my previous comment. It was not my intent.
    BrickByBrickMAGNINOMINISUMBRAgmonkey76oldtodd33Pumpkin_3CK5Johnyk668LittleLorimustang69
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    In @Polyphemus defence, as a fellow antipode, I read it exactly as he intended.  In general usage 'knob jockey' only becomes homophobic with a slur prefacing it.  For example, calling your Dad a 'turd burgalling knob jockey' will get an ENTIRELY different reaction.
      A good example (which ties back to our British heritage better than twat in my opinion) would be the use of the word 'Bugger'.  It could be considered to be homophobic by meaning alone but is in common usage with zero intended or implied undertones and is considered in nearly every instance to be a more polite word to use than another (the best example probably being f$ck).
    Dont want to do something?
    Bugger that!
    Did you make a mistake?
    Buggered it up!
    Acting the fool?
    Silly Bugger!

All said with nothing intended.
    And also, apologies to those who are!
    Words eh...

To get back on topic, the guys definitely a f$ckwit of the highest order!
    gmonkey76Polyphemusoldtodd33
    Polyphemus said:
    I regularly use it to address good friends.
    That is a strange aspect of Australian culture I've never really thought about before. I come up with much more creative insults for my friends than I do for my enemies.
    PolyphemusLittleLoriMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    Holy crap! We like to joke that Mega Bloks turns you to the dark side, but Lego's where the real satanic acts are at.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 734
    Well, if the love of money is the root of all evil, and Lego basically equals money today...

Holy crap.

I need to reevaluate my life.