Problem with Mindstorm ev3 programming

TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
Hi all. I am currently working on a 4 motor mindstorm tank. The build went near perfect, but when it comes to programming, I’m not that good. I used the two large motors that came with my ev3 kit along with 2 of the original NXT motors. The older ones work fine with the newer software so that’s not the problem. I’m having trouble getting all the motors to run simultaneously to make it for forward or backwards. I’ll post the current program that I tried to use once I power up my laptop. Below are photos of the wiring and the general layout. I’d appreciate any and all help. 
Thanks

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,782
    Do they all run, but at different speeds or is it that only some of the motors run? Motors often run at very slightly different speeds (even if they are the "same" motor) and so vehicles with individually powered wheels often don't go straight, without some sort of feedback such as a driver correcting steering, or more useful here a gyro to change the left / right  speed.

I've only ever done something similar with 3 wheeled cars - two powered wheels and a front "dolly" wheel. I guess you will also need to make sure you match the front wheel and back wheel speeds, but I'm not sure how you would notice the effect of that.
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    CCC said:
    Do they all run, but at different speeds or is it that only some of the motors run? Motors often run at very slightly different speeds (even if they are the "same" motor) and so vehicles with individually powered wheels often don't go straight, without some sort of feedback such as a driver correcting steering, or more useful here a gyro to change the left / right  speed.

I've only ever done something similar with 3 wheeled cars - two powered wheels and a front "dolly" wheel. I guess you will also need to make sure you match the front wheel and back wheel speeds, but I'm not sure how you would notice the effect of that.
    they go about the same speed. I put one on each side to help negate that effect. its the fact that something in the program I did wrong that wont let them go all at once. It'll only let 2 go at the same time despite me putting in two parallel tank movement blocks with all the used motors.

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,225
    So, is it a random pair that doesn't go, is it always the same pair, or is it specifically NXT/EV3 motors that won't go? I can't look too deeply right now, but straight away I can see that in that first clause for that switch block you've got two identical blocks that stop motors B and C but nothing for A and D. Is there a particular reason for that?
    Mods @drdavewatford @Huw @Matthew @CapnRex101 problem solved. Please close