Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

June Building Contest - 2x4 Celebration

BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,833
For June I thought it would be fun to base a model around the classic 2x4 brick. That doesn't mean only 2x4s, but rather having a MOC that features one in a prominent way. No restrictions to certain themes or sizes just that at least one 2x4 brick is integral. How that works is up to your imagination. Below is a sample I built while playing with my kids.

bandit778ricecakeGothamConstructionCostluxMynattmsandersdavetheoxygenmanvizzitorLostInTranslationgmonkey76mak0137Mr_CrossmafonTheOriginalSimonBLittleLoriFowlerBricksDoktorLvanvonfullsnowhitieSeijiAmasawaBaby_Yodathe_creative_box

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,833
    @stlux has generously offered to supply a prize as I cannot given my location so thanks for that! Contest will run until the last day of June.
    stluxLostInTranslationTheOriginalSimonB
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 378
    So it does not have to be attached properly apparently (or is it)?
    ^are you referring to what I built? It is attached via a bracket one row of studs behind the facade. As a general rule, entries with things attached properly will likely be judged more favorably than those where they are not.
    stluxTheOriginalSimonB
  • mafonmafon TushinoMember Posts: 48
    I got slight quake vibes from your temple.

So I perceived 2 by 4 as 64 by 128 for that matter.
    Bumblepants
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,626
    Fun! I need to wrap up some of my other MOC projects so I can get building!
    Bumblepants
    It is now June so get building! Bonus points* for using your favorite color as the 2x4 and pointing out that it is your favorite.

*Bonus points are completely worthless and not calculated into the judging.**

**Unless you also pick sand green as I will be biased toward my own favorite brick color.
    560HeliportLostInTranslationFowlerBrickssnowhitiestluxGothamConstructionComafonMr_CrossLittleLori
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,471
    So, Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate 2x4 Brick :)
    BumblepantsLostInTranslationLittleLori
    Does it have to be a plain 2×4 piece, or can it be a special 2×4? As in can it be printed, have extra patterns or appendages on it, or have something in it like a 2×4 lamp?
    Does it have to be an actual 2x4 or an up-scaled representation?
    Either of those ideas are fine. I'm not too picky as long as you are keeping in the spirit of things.
    FowlerBricksLittleLori
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    Can I use a mangled 2x4 I found on the side of the road? I probably won't. Just curious.
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Can I use a mangled 2x4 I found on the side of the road? I probably won't. Just curious.
    A post-apacalyptic thing? Maybe with more broken pieces (assuming enough of them left to attach)?
    Baby_Yoda
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Sure if it makes sense to.
    ^ Great! You've got me thinking now, @Cyberdragon.
    Oh dear, the point where the build is becoming way bigger than expected just to get the relative scale I want. My potato PC hates moving a 48x48 baseplate in Stud.io. I'll use more 2x4s as greebling to fill in the massive spaces.

I'm sure fans of

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

can guess what special color of 2x4 will be featured.

Baby_Yoda
    I'm actually in the middle of reading Life, the Universe and Everything. I'm not sure whether to feel excited or scared.
    edited June 2018
    Shhh! *Hissss* Spoilers! Now everyone's gonna steal my brick color! :P
    I've just had an amazing idea for an entry. Now I just need to find time to build it...
    My MOC is getting so massive that I wonder if it would even do justice entering the whole thing as just featuring 2x4s (It's a whole diorama/scene at this point at 48x48x about 22).

Could I only enter the sub-assemblies with the featured 2x4s and post the rest of the build that sprung up around them to the MOC thread?
    Sure, whatever you think works best.
    Well, my amazing idea didn't work as planned. :( A new idea is brewing though!
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Too late to edit my post, but I think it’s pretty obvious which color is my favorite. 
    edited June 2018
    After fumbling around with Stud.io I finally managed to get a good render angle.

Starship Heart of Gold engine room (improbability drive) diorama/shadowbox featuring gold bricks. The top of the core lights up with a 2x4 lamp hidden in the column. There is a top to it, but I had to remove it for rendering.

More pics of the details coming soon in the MOC thread.

P.S. The center crystal is yellow not black.
    TheOriginalSimonBBumblepantsBaby_YodaricecakeAstrobricks
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    ^Now you’ve got me thinking about how to model the effects of drinking a pan-galactic gargle blaster.
    Good entries so far! Keep them coming. Five days left!
    Last call for entries, about a day or so left!
    I've got one more coming^ :D
  • the_creative_boxthe_creative_box SwedenMember Posts: 90
    ^I love it when people make floating islands! Nice photo editing, too. 
    FowlerBricks
    ^I love it when people make floating islands! Nice photo editing, too. 
    Thanks! It was pretty quick editing, since I rendered my pics without a background. XD
    the_creative_box
    Ok tomorrow I will review the entries with my panelists AKA my kids and post the results!
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    Whilst @Bumblepants deliberates, you can get creative for the July contest here!
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    Wow!  Thanks for that...
    snowhitieGothamConstructionCoFowlerBricksBumblepants
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    Congrats @TheOriginalSimonB! PM me your address whilst I go check out your wanted list to find you a prize!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,295
    Bumblepants said: 

Vurp and Gl'hurg by @TheOriginalSimonB Won out with the creative use of parts and attention to details. Really fun to imagine goofy aliens discovering Lego for the first time and giving it a probe etc. with their equipment.
    and then they realize their spaceship is actually made of those weird blocks  :o
    BumblepantsTheOriginalSimonB
    I was thinking more of along the lines of them being in the Lego Movie world and they happened to find an out of place and really old red 2x4 lying unconnected out in a sand brick desert somewhere on a supposedly uninhabited planet.
    FowlerBricks