Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Tiles on walls?

ct13ct13 USAMember Posts: 2

I’ve been trying to find an answer or solution to this off and on for a few months and finally decided to ask for help, even though I suspect the answer to my question is “you can’t.”

My question is this: Is it possible to use tiles on a vertical surface in a manner like wallpaper so there are no gaps? Essentially, my goal is to try change the interior of a wall color without needing to have a wall that is two studs thick. 

I’ve looked at using parts like 1x1 side-stud bricks (87087), headlight bricks, 1x4 bricks with 4 studs on side (30414), technic 1x4 bricks with side holes & short pins (3701), etc. Ultimately, either the tiles don't fit or there are always gaps between the plates no matter if I try 1x4 tiles or 2x4 tiles.

My hunch is that it just isn’t possible but I’ll also state that I am no expert builder and am not 100% sure of the search terms I should even be using. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,565
    edited May 2018
    It is possible. You could use a lot of 2x2x1 brackets. That would keep your wall slightly below two studs thick and allow the tiles to fit without gaps. Or you could build your wall sideways.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    Using these

https://brickset.com/parts/6123809/brick-1x2x1-2-3-w-4-knobs

Can give you a tiled wall, I believe it’s how the brickwork is done on #10260
    madforLEGOFizyxMr_Cross
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,565
    That would work too. Those pieces are so versatile.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    If your looking to use the bricks 87087, 11211 or 30414 to mount tiles you can do this with 2 plates in between the bricks which will give the desired effect for placing tiles without gaps.
    (Please excuse the shoddy photos, taken in bad light with a kindle camera).

madforLEGO77ncaachampsMr_Crossmafon
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    Shib said:
    Using these

https://brickset.com/parts/6123809/brick-1x2x1-2-3-w-4-knobs

Can give you a tiled wall, I believe it’s how the brickwork is done on #10260
    Just realised I got modulars muddled, I meant #10251

The other benefit with those parts is that every BrickHeadz has around a dozen in and are often on clearance so it’s eaey to get a decent stock relatively cheap
    Astrobricks
  • ct13ct13 USAMember Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone!
    A couple of those ideas might be cost (and color) prohibitive for what I was imagining (house w/tan exterior and colored inside walls) but I'm definitely going to give a couple of them a try and keep the ideas for other projects.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    ct13 said:
    Thanks everyone!
    A couple of those ideas might be cost (and color) prohibitive for what I was imagining (house w/tan exterior and colored inside walls) but I'm definitely going to give a couple of them a try and keep the ideas for other projects.
    You would be surprised with PaB online IMO. Some tiles are fairly cheap per piece. PaB walls are a great source for tile, but remember to get there early for it as many people grab as much 1x2 and 2x2 earth colored tile as they can. The 1x4 with studs on side have been found at PaB walls, same with the 1x2 with 2 studs on side many a lot of colors, same with 1x4 plate.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    edited May 2018
    Interesting way to build out a wall. Also can help if you want to build a smaller space saving apt in a building IMO
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    How many colors do inverted tiles like that come in though?
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,376
    ^Inverted 2x2 tiles are found in 10 colors
    madforLEGOFowlerBrickssid3windrCyberdragon