Custom Figures From .ldr Files

ProfistoryProfistory Bethel, MEMember Posts: 4
can anyone take a .ldr file and work to make actual LEGO products?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796
    I can open ldr files on ldraw linux just fine.

Maybe you could say what you are trying to do, what software you are using and what the problem is.
  • ProfistoryProfistory Bethel, MEMember Posts: 4
    no, i mean like 3D printing them
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796
    Shapeways has always had lots of LEGO parts on it from when it first started. You can buy 3D prints there but they are expensive. And there are lots of wierd and wonderful lego style bricks and creations on thingiverse to download and 3D print yourself. I don't know if either can take ldr files though.
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 737
    @winchymatt makes some decent looking LEGO parts:)

check out his thread(s) in the photo/video section of the forum:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/28500/giant-lego-bulldozer-kit-856-3d-printed

no idea what file types he uses though.  Can't remember if he mentions it in any of the YouTube vids he's done though.
    edited June 2018
    dmcc0 said:
    @winchymatt makes some decent looking LEGO parts:)

check out his thread(s) in the photo/video section of the forum:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/28500/giant-lego-bulldozer-kit-856-3d-printed

no idea what file types he uses though.  Can't remember if he mentions it in any of the YouTube vids he's done though.
    could he make them in scale with actual minifigs?
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 737
    While I don't doubt it is possible, I can't imaging it is cost effective producing your own parts. Maybe for one-off customs that lego doesn't produce perhaps or maybe custom colours, but churning out 2x4 bricks or 3d printing your own USC Falcon probably not.

Not sure how tight the tolerances on 3d printing compare with actual LEGO parts either. 

Do you have a use in mind, on just a hypothetical scenario?
    use in mind.