Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Promote?

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,472
I did a quick search, but had no luck, so pardon me if this is an old question.
 When I look at my profile there is a big "Promote 0" next to my "Like 832", or whatever. Does this imply some users have to ability to "promote" a comment? I don't see a way to do that.
BumblepantsSumoLego

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,834
    It is leftover from several years ago when likes and other buttons were added to the forum. I think it originally allowed you to push a comment to Facebook or Twitter or something.

The real fun was the Spam button as people got into spam fights and would use it as a disagree/I don't like you button. It got quite hilarious in the Predictions thread but the mods took it away pretty quickly. (Which was the right decision for sure)
    AstrobricksKerresnowhitiePitfall69SumoLego
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,472
    Maybe it was like an upvote on reddit.
    I’m glad this place has been relatively civilized since I joined. :)
    SumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    It is leftover from several years ago when likes and other buttons were added to the forum. I think it originally allowed you to push a comment to Facebook or Twitter or something.

I think it was just a "super-like" from a mod, nothing to do with twitter or facebook.

Of course, the dislike button went a bit not-so-good.
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    I thought it was a feature for people to want to promote you to a higher level i.e. mod/admin
    I thought it was a feature for people to want to promote you to a higher level i.e. mod/admin
    I thought the same but I have never noticed any such stratification on here. 
    No, only admins could give them.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    It's equivalent to 5 likes and can be used by admins to emphasise a post as being something special :-)
    MatthewgratefulnatricecakePitfall69SumoLego
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 266
    The something special being that your promote avatar is now flipping everybody off :-)
    Astrobricksricecakestluxsid3windrBaby_YodaSprinkleOtterSumoLego
    Matthew said:
    It's equivalent to 5 likes and can be used by admins to emphasise a post as being something special :-)
    And you (as in an admin) can also promote your own posts too it seems, unlike mortals who cannot like their own.
    The something special being that your promote avatar is now flipping everybody off :-)
    That was my first thought once I saw it!
    Where is the demote button?
    Lego_Lord_MayorcaPitfall69davetheoxygenmanBrickByBrickSumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^It could have been worse....It could have been a meme ;)
    Baby_YodaSumoLego
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    Let's not beat around the bush here. "Likes" are childish and silly. "Promotes" are really what separate you from the crowd. 

Sorry, @SumoLego , always the padawan. Never the master.
    SumoLegosid3windr
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,933
    I've been waiting for you, @samiam391. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the Master.

And it's all about the likes to post ratio.  It's the equivalent of Wins Above Replacement, and the QB efficency rating.  (And this would be way more dramatic if I had 25k likes, but whatever.)
    Baby_Yodadatsunrobbiegmonkey76BrickByBricksnowhitie
    samiam391 said:
     "Promotes" are really what separate you from the crowd.
    Yep.

SumoLego
    SumoLego
    I would ask that those two promotes be stricken from the record.  As they surely involve memeish behaviour, which simply cannot be awarded in this Forum.
    davetheoxygenmangmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    ^ Memeish behaviour is rewarding in its own way.
    No memes in those promotes. Amazing.
    I know my memes are corny, but they are a-maze-ing ;)
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76sid3windrSumoLego
    A-maize-ing.

Unless you mean a cornfield maze.  But that doesn't make sense.
    ^I meant "maize" of course. I really need to proofread. Just for that; my post should be demoted.
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^I meant "maize" of course. I really need to proofread. Just for that; my post should be demoted.
    Or unpromoted.