Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Monorail motor issues

mmac2002mmac2002 DFWMember Posts: 17
I recently bought a lot of monorail parts. When I got it home and started sorting out the different parts, I was testing the motor and it seems to be dead.  I have switched the middle switch every way. I have tested the battery with a couple of lights that were also in the lot and they turned on.  Is there any way to determine the root of the problem or do I just need to replace the whole motor? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,192
    Sometimes the terminal cables or even the plates do not work right.
    I have found that if you take a 9V battery and place it right on the terminals on the electric brick of the motor in the right way you can get the motor to work (if the motor works).

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,380
    You might also try spinning the motor around by hand using the brass gear on the bottom of the motor. Sometimes if they sit without use for a couple of decades they can get a little oxidized or mechanically frozen. 
    madforLEGO
  • mmac2002mmac2002 DFWMember Posts: 17
    Thanks for the advice. Tried both of those and still nothing...
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    Never underestimate the tried-and-true NES cartridge method of "blowing on it"...

I had a used motor I happened upon a couple years back that took a lot of fiddling before I finally got it to work. It was a bit of a combination of the above mentioned techniques.

Fingers crossed for you that it starts working!
    dmcc0
  • darthlewis20darthlewis20 west sussexMember Posts: 4
    I accidently had my mono rail motor, left the battery in and it leaked. years later I returned to it to find this and thought I should of taken that battery out! 
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 308
    Glad to see it's working again. I was showing my monorail setup to my wife last night now that the city is built. It's total genius how they designed it, with the sliding switch as the directional control. Everything is mechanical. Seeing that thing go up and down inclines is really pretty cool. And the best part is it's designed to run above things so you're not burning valuable square footage on track. The 4-wide car does look a little dated, but in my opinion it works as a tram, and if your layout is strictly Town, not City or a blend, it's aged spectacularly. 
    sid3windrstluxgmonkey76
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 67
    Just out of curiousity, where did you happen to get this lot of monorail parts.
  • mmac2002mmac2002 DFWMember Posts: 17
    Locally through OfferUp
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 67
    Ah ok
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    Glad the NES method worked! Congrats on a running motor!