The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hello!

SMClabbySMClabby PortsmouthMember Posts: 6
Hello, my name is Simon, I've returned to the world of Lego in the last few years, but I still have the sets from my childhood (well, the parts from them!)

I tend to prefer sets with a historical theme, although I do like the Star Wars sets, and even Friends has some nice builds. I generally stick to creator sets though, they're much more fun. 
BumblepantsBaby_YodasnowhitieThe_Rancoromniumgmonkey76

Comments

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,288
    Hi Simon! Welcome to the forum. Creator, Star Wars and Friends have lots of fans on here. By 'historical' I presume you're talking about Architecture, Castle/Viking/Western or MOCs by fan builders? Unless you mean Time Cruisers!
  • SMClabbySMClabby PortsmouthMember Posts: 6
    MaffyD said:
    Hi Simon! Welcome to the forum. Creator, Star Wars and Friends have lots of fans on here. By 'historical' I presume you're talking about Architecture, Castle/Viking/Western or MOCs by fan builders? Unless you mean Time Cruisers!
    Yeah, castle and pirates, mainly. There are some pretty amazing MOCs out there, way beyond what I can manage.
    MaffyD
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 568
    SMClabby said:
    I tend to prefer sets with a historical theme, although I do like the Star Wars sets
    Greetings! To be fair, Star Wars is set a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...). I too did often find Creator to have by far the best building experience, obviously due in part to its 3-in-1 rebuildability. I used to love those small canisters when I was younger, since it meant I could buy one whenever we went away and keep the pieces in it until we got home.
    MaffyDgmonkey76
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,590
    Welcome. Just start MOC-ing if you fancy it and your models will get more and more detailed I'm sure, plus try not to be too intimidated by people who've been doing it for decades, just have fun and be proud of what you accomplish anyway :)
    gmonkey76
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 375
    Welcome! I too am a fan of sets with a historical or 'adventure' theme. I'm hoping another original theme comes soon to address this slight gap but in the meantime I have my castles.

if you have the parts from some sets of your childhood but you're unsure what they are, I always find it really interesting (and often a challenge) to try to rebuild them as far as possible without needing to make a Bricklink order for extra parts.

Do you also like Creator Expert?
  • SMClabbySMClabby PortsmouthMember Posts: 6
    snowhitie said:
    Welcome. Just start MOC-ing if you fancy it and your models will get more and more detailed I'm sure, plus try not to be too intimidated by people who've been doing it for decades, just have fun and be proud of what you accomplish anyway :)
    I've done a fair bit of MOCing already, my main build is a museum which has become a bit sprawling, but in a confined way. Really need to dismantle it and start again, but hey ho.

I also had a go at building a ruined castle a year or so back when the ghost collectable minifigs came out, to give them somewhere to 'haunt', but I got carried away and built a visitor centre for it too! My background in museums getting the better of me...
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76