The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

My Building Quirk - Does Anyone Else Do This?

nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 30
So, when building I find myself making sure the LEGO logo on bricks, plates, etc. will appear aligned as much as possible. By this I mean if they can, I make sure in the final build has the logo upright or reading left to right.

Sometimes, this involves looking forward in the instructions several steps to see how that particular section goes into the final build.

Of course, many times this doesn't work out, as some pieces can only be applied in one direction. But for plates, bricks, etc. this can often be accomplished.

I mostly follow this "rule" of mine when pieces will have the stud exposed, but I also find myself doing it more and more with pieces that get buried in the build. It does add to the build time, but I still enjoy it.

Does anyone else do this?
kezsnowhitieThe_RancorDoktorL

Comments

• kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 791
    Yes I do this too, you might find responses in this thread helpful :-D
    nmualumni
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,478
    I do remember another similar thread a good while ago and when I'm on my computer tomorrow I'll try and look it up unless someone remembers the name.

I personally don't do this, but I applaud your patience and I'm sure it will make the building last longer, so more bang for your buck!
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 791
    edited May 12
    snowhitie said:
    I do remember another similar thread a good while ago and when I'm on my computer tomorrow I'll try and look it up unless someone remembers the name.

I personally don't do this, but I applaud your patience and I'm sure it will make the building last longer, so more bang for your buck!
    @snowhitie No need to bother searching, the thread is here ;-D

I managed to Ninja you on this occasion haha.
    snowhitiemadforLEGOBumblepants
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,478
    edited May 12
    @kez hihi - what goes around comes around!

Edit: ah it was your thread, I was just going to applaud your searching skills!
    kez
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 299
    I do this, but I usually exercise restraint and make sure it's only really for clear exposed areas where symmetry is best
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 66
    @nmualumni you are not alone! Not entirely sure why I do this but I do have a preference for symmetry in other things as well. Not sure it’s doing my eyesight any good though. 
    nmualumni
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited May 13
    I sometimes do it, depending on the size of the build. The pesky ones are getting round 1x1 plates lined up. Sometimes I even try to make the logos on the 1x2 tiles face the right way, even though they are completely hidden on the underside of the piece!
    Polyphemus
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 354
    I only ever do it for accessories, where it actually has significant aesthetic influence. Mind you, accessories rarely use bricks and plates. The only time I ever tried to do it big-scale was with #7965 as that was my first big set and I wanted it to look perfect. Emphasis on the "tried".
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I do this. The logo must point forwards or up, hiding as many mould marks as I can. If I can't get the piece to do that then meh
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 896
    ...I didn't even know this was a think until a few months back (the thought had never crossed my mind). Then I saw someone post about it in the Lego Old Fishing Store thread and now I have a hard time not doing it!

My brain attaches quickly to odd quirks like this, so I have to be careful to avoid them as much as possible. Luckily, I'm able to give them up pretty quickly if I feel they are taking away from my building experience. 

As someone who doesn't have the opportunity to buy/build as often as I'd like, I don't mind taking the extra time in my builds currently. 

I've managed to not be too strict on myself with this particular quirk. One of my biggest deals is alignment of tiles though. I've finally found a way to align them quickly that doesn't require hair pulling!
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 44
    Yep!! I do this all the time while building. I don't worry as much about the logos all facing the same way for pieces I know are going to be completely hidden, but I absolutely do for exposed studs.

And it frustrates me when I can't align two pieces in the way I want to get the logos right! haha
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    I only care about the orientation for round stud or tile pieces used as headlights on cars. Old sealed beam headlights had the brand moulded into the lense, and if it wasn't oriented correctly your lights wouldn't be quite right!
    DoktorL
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 299
    edited May 15
    Kind of different to the original topic suggestion - BUT I definitely have a fixation with moulding marks on pieces. I always subconsciously feel that leaving moulding marks exposed, when it can be avoided, can always be amended. It's also easier to do than the Lego logo On studs because you often know where you can hide the mould marks without looking ahead. It's not something that can be done 100% of the time but I find that it makes the lines cleaner, particularly on the edges of tiles and technic lever arm beams.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,021
    I try to hide moulding marks too. I think of 1x1 cylinders in particular. the only time I've aligned lego logos was when placing the ingots on the facade of brick bank.
    Another one I do which is a bit overkill is to make sure that when I insert Technic pins, the slots on them are aligned in the same orientation as they're shown in the manual.
    pxchrisDoktorLJohnyk668
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 44
    ricecake said:
    Another one I do which is a bit overkill is to make sure that when I insert Technic pins, the slots on them are aligned in the same orientation as they're shown in the manual.
    Haha... SAME!!
  • DoktorLDoktorL Member Posts: 39
    I am doing the same with trying to align LEGO logos. And totally agree that the round 1x1 plates are a pain ... Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone.

• CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 251
    ricecake said:
    What if they're in moving joints?
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 354
    ^ Then just never move the joints!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,671
    rdflego said:
    I do this. The logo must point forwards or up, hiding as many mould marks as I can. If I can't get the piece to do that then meh
    I don't care about the logo alignment but the mould makings I do try to hide with some pieces - the newer 1x1 with upward clips are a prime example, the obvious divet in the side of the plate section annoys me
    gmonkey76rdflego
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,261

^ Me too. I also try to hide the numbers on some of the axle things. I forget the part number. Hang on...

Technic axle connectors - https://brickset.com/parts?query=32034 is a good example.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,211
    You mean you don't use those numbers for hidden messages in your builds?

560Heliport
    What if they're in moving joints?
    If it's a moving joint, then I'm satisfied as long as the orientation is correct at the time of assembly. After that, I realize I can't control the orientation easily, so I let it go.

Another one I do is make sure that the tires are facing a consistent way in cars that I build. For example, if the tires have any molding differences (logos, part identification numbers, etc.) that appear on one side of the tire but not the other, then I make sure that they are either all facing out or all facing in.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 333
    Fauch said:
    I try to hide moulding marks too. I think of 1x1 cylinders in particular. the only time I've aligned lego logos was when placing the ingots on the facade of brick bank.
    My wife did this too when she built the bank (after I had pointed it out to her on the box - just to be clear - I did not ask her to do that!)
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 37
    I'm one for hiding the moulding marks too, trying to be a bit less obsessive about it though.
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 124
    i've thought about this, but I never do it. Not that patient XD
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 824
    My wife bought me #8169 Lamborghini Gallardo AND the ability to drive a real one on a race track for my 40th birthday. I left it on the shelf as a trophy for a year... then opened it when I turned 41. I'm 44 now and NOT done building it because of this quirk... Nevertheless, I haven't received any 'big' sets since. 
    Fizyx