Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Getting started w/motor help

I have never worked with any of the motorized lego components and want to know where to begin.  I have scanned this forum back a year or so and didn't see anything that stood out.  

My goal is to place my death star(75159) on a "carousel" type platform so it spins.  Any suggestions on where to start or if someone has a link to someone else's build would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,452
    I think you can get motorised things to put dinner plates on. Use one of those :)
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 545
    I believe it's called a "Lazy Susan"
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,833
    The death star weighs a ton, might be difficult to get enough power geared up to make it work smoothly. The non Lego ideas suggested are probably the better option.
    Fizyx
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 378
    If you're ok with sawing up pieces and using other materials for the platform (maybe gluing lego to it), something like this might work:

• FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 781
    If you're ok with sawing up pieces and using other materials for the platform (maybe gluing lego to it), something like this might work:

It should be pointed out that he's also not using a LEGO motor.  I think that using an actual LEGO motor to drive such a large system could be difficult, as I'm not sure that even the PF XL motor would have enough power to drive something that heavy.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    How about using a drive system such as found on the 10196 Grand Carousel?  Look on page 31.  http://www.brickfactory.info/set/index.html
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    I wouldn't motorize it. Things like that are fun for five minutes then often get annoying. Stick it on a (non-motorized) lazy susan so you can rotate it easily to show a different vignette each day.
    NeilCrosby
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    I see a great value in wanting to have the Death Star rotate = allows one to display the full diorama for guests. I hope this video helps you out:   If you do not have a woodworking space, you should be able to purchase the components prepared for you.

Personally, I need to look at possibly purchasing one of them spinner toys the kids love: