Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Getting started w/motor help

I have never worked with any of the motorized lego components and want to know where to begin.  I have scanned this forum back a year or so and didn't see anything that stood out.  

My goal is to place my death star(75159) on a "carousel" type platform so it spins.  Any suggestions on where to start or if someone has a link to someone else's build would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    I think you can get motorised things to put dinner plates on. Use one of those :)
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 514
    I believe it's called a "Lazy Susan"
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    The death star weighs a ton, might be difficult to get enough power geared up to make it work smoothly. The non Lego ideas suggested are probably the better option.
    Fizyx
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    If you're ok with sawing up pieces and using other materials for the platform (maybe gluing lego to it), something like this might work:

• FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 640
    If you're ok with sawing up pieces and using other materials for the platform (maybe gluing lego to it), something like this might work:

It should be pointed out that he's also not using a LEGO motor.  I think that using an actual LEGO motor to drive such a large system could be difficult, as I'm not sure that even the PF XL motor would have enough power to drive something that heavy.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,371
    How about using a drive system such as found on the 10196 Grand Carousel?  Look on page 31.  http://www.brickfactory.info/set/index.html
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,320
    I wouldn't motorize it. Things like that are fun for five minutes then often get annoying. Stick it on a (non-motorized) lazy susan so you can rotate it easily to show a different vignette each day.
    NeilCrosby
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    I see a great value in wanting to have the Death Star rotate = allows one to display the full diorama for guests. I hope this video helps you out:   If you do not have a woodworking space, you should be able to purchase the components prepared for you.

Personally, I need to look at possibly purchasing one of them spinner toys the kids love: