The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

The New 42083 Bugatti Chiron and the TECHNIC "Ultimate" Line

Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 456
So, the countdown is on!
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/technic/bugatti-chiron

You can even see some of the engine block details in the looping background video. My anticipation for this set has been growing, and I am amazed at how under-wraps it has been (though I suspect a leak will be forthcoming ahead of June 1st)!

I was sold on the then-newborn "Ultimate" line on the second 2016 Inside Tour, where the TECHNIC Marketing Manager did a presentation for us about TECHNIC in general and then pulled out one of the Porsches for us to all gape at it. I was aware of it, but my old, stogy self had long ago surmised TECHNIC peaked in car design with the #8880 Super Car. But man, was I blown away by that Porsche when it was rolled in front of me. When I got home, I went to the Lego Store the next day and purchased it. Even then, however, I was excited for whatever was coming next, as the marketing guy definitely suggested that the new, premium packaging was the new standard for a continuing line of TECHNIC super cars. Two years later, and I hope it is going to pay off after a lackluster 2017!

I don't know much about Bugattis, so I will be doing more reading on other sites, but what kind of functions will be featured? Does the car have some kind of funky gearing control like the Porsche did? Will there be another custom serial number plate with each car? As hyped as I am, I understand this thing will likely be more looks than function, as seems to be the trend with TECHNIC nowadays. The Bugatti has some killer curves to it, though. If the designers can pull that off, I'll be impressed enough to buy it still in spite of reduced functionality.

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,761
    I believe it has a W-16 engine which is based off of two VW V-8s combined somehow. That ought to make for an exciting bit of Lego engineering.
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    I wonder if they will need a new style of engine block piece if they intend to the W engine. Maybe longer connecting rods, too.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 558
    I'm expecting a reveal by next Monday at the absolute latest, since it will be going on sale to VIP members on the 16th.  I actually expected a reveal today, but I think the introduction of that countdown makes that less likely...  I am pretty excited about it.  Haven't gotten the Porsche yet, although it's on my list, but the Bugatti I will likely get without waiting for a sale, especially since I don't think we've seen significant sales on the Porsche over here in the US yet.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 389
    edited May 7
    ^Only sale I can recall is seeing it for $200 at a closing TRU. Didn't grab one because I'd already blown my Lego budget for the month and it wasn't a must-have. Seemed like a good deal though
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 548
    The Porsche was probably one of my favorite builds from 2016. I know that some had complaints about the exterior of the car and how there were some odd gaps but I can't say that it bothered me as the end model still got the point across. Seeing the gearing mechanism come together on the inside was probably one of my favorite parts of the build.

That said, one complaint that I had with the Porsche was that once built, you could no longer see any of the mechanisms on the inside. I hope for the Bugatti, this will change with either some kind of clear or removable paneling. 
    MaffyD
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 456
    I believe it has a W-16 engine which is based off of two VW V-8s combined somehow. That ought to make for an exciting bit of Lego engineering.
    I think you can actually see the engine as it will appear in the set on that countdown page I linked to! It does look impressive in spite of being shown completely removed from the car.

Also: was this supposed to be the second set released to VIPs today? I strongly suspect it was, and somehow, marketing decided last minute to do a more formal, "exclusive" launch set for June 1st only.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 389
    ^was there a second set released or did we only get the one?
    ^Apparently, there was not. I feel like not enough people are making a fuss about it, considering the single launch of the roller coaster was so botched. Maybe the Bugatti brand didn't want to risk TLG botching the release and having to share the limelight with another, unrelated set. But geez, I wish LEGO could've at least mentioned they were removing the second set from release today.
    What was botched about the rollercoaster release?
    Read the comments.
    https://brickset.com/article/36096/creator-expert-roller-coaster-available-now

I wasn't even trying to get in on that parade, but apparently, people had issues (first world problems?) with purchasing the set.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,211
    That seems to be more of an IT issue than anything to do with the set (instore sales were fine). But yes, the impression is bad.
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 261
    Still won't let me purchase it 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 354
    Strange. Australia's fine now.
    From the leak thread, but spotted on the normie Lego fan hub, r/lego by me earlier today, is the first image of the upcoming super car.  I must say, I am quite pleased with the initial look of it! If that curve along the side of the car looks as good head-on as the picture suggests, it will definitely be a first-day purchase for me!

• Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 617
    Is it just me, or is it really ugly? Sorry if I offend any fans here.
    Jern92 said:
    I mean, that picture quality and posing is a bit cruddy, but the color scheme is fantastic and there are some cool parts in there. Real-world Bugattis weren't particularly aesthetically pleasing to me at first sight, but they grew on me, and this Technic model captures the look of it quite well. Of course, more, official pictures are necessary to pass final judgement, but I am optimistic.
    MynattpharmjodBumblepantsstluxPate5346sid3windr
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 55
    Jern92 said:

it's not just you, but the real car isn't that much better. even the technic 911 looks horrible from some angles.
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 261
    By the looks of it I would rather have the 911
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I posted this in the "leaks" thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

I don't have the Porsche, but one of the complaints I've heard about it is that the mechanics of it get hidden once built. I hope they figured out a way to see them in this model, possibly with some removable panels at the least.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,261
    ^ Agreed. I've not built mine yet but when I do I'd like to show it to my dad - who likes the mechanical focus of Technic, and who bought me more than a few Technic sets back in the day. When I do I suppose I will have to remove a few pieces to show him the cool stuff! For me, the cool stuff is the panels, but YMMV.
    ricecake
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 824
    I will reserve full judgment for when we get better pictures. The angle could be better but it still looks good. 
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 570
    Looks better than the Porsche!
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 538
    I'm not a fan of the build but I'm not a fan of the car either. :)
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 31
    Will still get this expect, 911 is still in box at home, lol need to build more faster and create more space like a another whole room for lego! 
    Lego_Lord_Mayorca
    lee1980 said:
    Will still get this expect, 911 is still in box at home, lol need to build more faster and create more space like a another whole room for lego! 

Kind of in the same boat...my 911 is also still in the box. And the display cabinet I bought, while big enough to hold Ningajo City and a Space MOC, is not sufficiently large enough to also house the Porsche 911.

I hope the reveal of the Chiron a week from now is more than just a reveal...I hope sets become available that day, at least to VIPs! I don't want to have to wait until August like with Ninjago City Dock.
    Looks like some Lego Store employees have already built the display models of the Chiron for this Friday and snapped some pictures already. The leak thread has them, but oh boy, I think it looks really sweet. A lot of System parts in that thing, so my last concern is the presence of actual "Technic" functions! Soon, however!
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 31
    Now seeing more on its a must but I think will wait until after launch etc.  To many other sets coming out to.
    Seven hours and 30 minutes from now...sheesh, I'll still be asleep, as that will be 4:30 AM central standard time! Oh well, I'll make sure to log on once I wake up at 6 AM.

Lego Store opens at 10 AM. Is anyone going to try to be there at opening to get one of these bad boys? I am attending a conference until 10 AM, so I plan to hoof it over there. I remember the Porsche 911 release two years ago wasn't as publicized, but right at store opening, several people appeared, seemingly from nowhere, and made a beeline for the Porsche sets! I don't know if my store in the Galleria ran out on that day, but I was glad to be there early!
    Bumblepants
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 950
    I wonder if they've sorted the box issues that hampered the 911 set being shipped. I ordered mine on the day of release but I had to cancel the order and pick it up in store three weeks later. The matt finish box with the heavy manual on top was causing damage in transit. Seeing leaked pics of the packaging makes it a very similar set up to the 911 box layout.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 955
    ^ I began reading that sentence thinking you were going to tak about an entirely different "box issue" with the Porsche!  It will be interesting to see if TLG has looked back and learnt to double check their instructions and packaging this time around.  Premium, flagship products deserve likewise QA.
    sid3windr
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 950
    Well the pictures on the website show the tops of the boxes of pieces and the wheels. I guess the manual is located at the bottom of the box which is much better.
    I wonder if they've sorted the box issues that hampered the 911 set being shipped. I ordered mine on the day of release but I had to cancel the order and pick it up in store three weeks later. The matt finish box with the heavy manual on top was causing damage in transit. Seeing leaked pics of the packaging makes it a very similar set up to the 911 box layout.

I'm not taking any chances. The major reason I bought the Porsche in person back in 2016 was because I had seen in Bilund the box and how premium it was. I thought about ordering it, and feeling aghast if the box showed up dented due to shipping or punctures on the outer box. That's why I'm buying again today from the Lego Store.

Basically, the Bugatti may be packaged better on the inside, but I am not taking any chances whatsoever.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,761
    It looks great and I really want one but then I would also need the Porsche and then whatever comes out in two years. I just can't afford another expensive series to collect.
    Baby_YodaMorkManFizyxSamJbluedragon
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 178
    That 'over night bag' will fetch stupid prices on eBay. 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 354
    ^^ Exactly why I don't get Technic as often in general. Or Winter Village, Fairground, Architecture...
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 366
    It looks great and I really want one but then I would also need the Porsche and then whatever comes out in two years. I just can't afford another expensive series to collect.
    I know those completionist feels, although I've been meaning to get the Porsche somewhere down the line.

Although the Bugatti set still looks weird, it actually looks a lot more like the real vehicle than the Porsche does.  The front half is still really off like the Porsche, though.
    Fizyx
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,266
    Gotta admit that although the bendy tubes still bug me, that W16 engine looks hard to resist. But $350?...
    I'm a bit disappinted the engine cheats by having three crankshafts. Just makes it more of the same unexciting engine building we've had for years.