Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Medieval Market vs. Grand Emporium

50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
edited April 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Which should I buy? I'm really more of a city guy, but I really dig the market for some reason... any thoughts?

Comments

• korkor Member Posts: 392
    If you're more of a City person then I think you answered your own question. I will say the Medieval Market is a killer set, but then so is the Grand Emporium.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Both are great sets but I'll suggest the Medieval Market for two reasons. First, it's cheaper meaning you don't spend as much right now and will have that extra $50 for one of the upcoming summer releases you might fancy a lot. Second, the Medieval Market is slated to be discontinued meaning that if you decide at a later date that you do want the Medieval Market, you won't have to hock one of your kidneys on eBay to get it. The Grand Emporium will be around for a while longer so you still have time to buy that. The Medieval Market is a dead man walking.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    I'm leaning towards the market... how long do you think I have? I'm in chicago on business this weekend... and will probably buy on Friday... enough time?
    Yeah, that's enough time. It's only scheduled for discontinuation, not execution. :-D
    skeet318
    Good deal. I almost bought this summer and wish I had.. not going to be kicking myself about this one 2 years from now like the green grocer.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    The decision on which you should buy is a completely personal one, and that's specifically why we discourage threads like this.

However, since you picked two wildly popular sets that I'm sure fans of either will have a lot of praise to offer, I'm going to let it stand, and even offer my advice.

If at all possible, get both. They are such great sets that I think choosing either one and not the other will always leave you with some regret. Based on this, if you modify your plan and the question then becomes "Which one should I buy first?", then the answer would by Medieval Market Village since it has been available for 2.5 years and will likely be retired before the Grand Emporium.

You're killing me rocao.... my wife is about to leave me due to brick expenditures...

I realize how ultimately futile this thread is, but appreciate you keeping it going as I really do just want advice.

If they have the village on Friday at the Schaumburg, I'm buying it. Or do you guys think I should order online now?
    If you're at the mall in Schaumburg, buy it there and save yourself the shipping. It's not going to vanish by Friday. ;-)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited April 2011
    my wife is about to leave me due to brick expenditures...
    Well, you should have just come out and said that was the reason you couldn't get both.
    With the light now shed on this, I would say buy the Grand Emporium since a department store that says "SHOP" across the front is about as wife-friendly as a set gets. If you're lucky and she admits LEGO is cool, you might be able to get the MMV with her blessing.

Just kidding... kind of.

I must disagree. Get the Medieval Market and then spend half of the other $50 on roses now and the other half on roses when you buy the Grand Emporium months from now. ;-)
    edited April 2011
    I must disagree. Get the Medieval Market and then spend half of the other $50 on roses now and the other half on roses when you buy the Grand Emporium months from now. ;-)
    Good call :)

Thanks for the input boys. Think I'll go with the village...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380

Thanks for the input boys. Think I'll go with the village...
    Good choice. The Emporium is excellent, but MMV is outstanding and a future classic. IMHO, of course...
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    Buy 2 market villiages, enjoy one and save the other. When it retires soon then hock it on ebay, but the emporium and give the extra million (slight exaggeration I know) back to your wife and walla...Both sets, happy wife=happy lego collector!
    Got the village. Thanks all.
  • sinfantisinfanti Member Posts: 7
    @prof1515 - You make some great points (especially on how to keep a wife happy). Thanks for the notice that MMV is slated to be discontinued. I've been waiting to get it at some kind of discount, but now I think I'll just grab it on Amazon.