Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO #10261 Roller Coaster

Comments

• Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 333
    Very excited about the coaster, but I think I will have to leave it a year or two and content myself with the pirate one. Not got space for the current fairground sets in my backlog let alone this beast. 
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 413
    Has anyone seen a video of both of the trains going around at the same time using a motor? I'm curious to see if one starts to catch up to the other.
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    They shouldn't, since they will always take the same amount of time to go around.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,421
    If you load them up with an equal amount of identically dressed minifigs, at least.. :-)
    BrickByBrick
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    In my opinion, the cars will eventually collide under any situation.  Even assuming that each car is EXACTLY the same in build and load, minor changes in friction and timing  between the wheel sets, mechanical accelerators and the  chain lift will cause one car to eventually catch the other at some point.

sid3windrtomahawkergmonkey76SamJmustang69
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,548
     ^ Ahh, but the very same effects may average out the same for both sets of cars over time. Somebody’s just going to have to test it :)
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ^ I had considered the "balancing out" theory but believe it to be highly improbable due to my belief that the wheel sets will be where the greatest variance in performance will be - specifically, how well each car rolls.
      I am looking forward to seeing the difference in performance and lap times when people start fooling around with the motorisation and gearing.and, for that matter, between stock standard individual sets.
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 405
    Man, this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeet

LEGO roller coaster is something I thought about making since I was a kid.  Actually, I thought about making an entire theme park.  And it's available today, right now?  I think I'm forced to buy at least a couple of them.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited May 2018
    Bought mine first thing today at the LEGO Store. I rarely go in the AM to buy new sets, but slow week at work, so why not. I have the other three fairground sets, but this is the first time I bought the battery box and motor to power it up. Excited to build it. No idea where I'm putting it!!! Deal with that later. 
    MooreFXAddicted2Oxygen
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,094
    ^ Don't you have plenty of room next to your Millennium Falcon?
    mithridate
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 914
    Bought mine yesterday afternoon and it was shipped this morning. I really wish I had express delivery, because I`m too impatient!! I`m just too excited to build/play with the set. Express delivery was 45 Swiss Francs (around 30 GBP) - the price of some sets on my wanted list so I couldn`t really justify paying that price. 

Hopefully the postal service will be quick. Unfortunately, I don`t think it will here in time for the Bank holiday Monday we have in Switzerland. 
    Went to the store yesterday to pick one up.  It's enormous.  I just finished building bag #1 and it looks like only about half the base is finished.  I'm going to take my time on this set.  It seems like a fun build.
    MooreFX
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,114
    Like many others, I have no idea where I am going to put this but, dammit, I'm going to get it! :-)
    SeanTheCollectorRonyarspepper
  • green_papergreen_paper VancouverMember Posts: 10
    My wife happened to walk past a LEGO store yesterday morning and she saw a lineup outside. After determining they were lined up for the Coaster, she asked if I wanted one. I replied "Want? Yes. Need? No. Have the space for it? Most definitely not!"

bandit778
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,485
    she asked if I wanted one. I replied "Want? Yes. Need? No. Have the space for it? Most definitely not!"
    She has you too well trained...
    PapaBearMuftak1gmonkey76spepperstluxSirBrickalotOfLegokiki180703
    The unique ways the support sections all interconnect creates a very sturdy structure.  Finishing this coaster and then adding to it is going to give me months of fun
    Lyichir
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    I want one, but just keep telling myself 'Wait until double points'... 'wait until double points'... Heck maybe wait til BF and hope for x3 VIP points
    gmonkey76Fizyx
    anyone have any idea on if/when the track pieces will be available @ PAB?  I count at least 6 new track pieces for the coaster
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 34
    So want but, so big, lol and can not add anymore space, still got the MF to build and put some where lol so can't complain! just seems to be a new set coming out every few weeks now!
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 837
    I went by the Lego store this morning and was pleased that it was on display - they were happy to stick the motor on and demo it for me and I have to say that this is an absolute delight of a set!  I really wasn't very convinced before seeing it in the flesh but seeing it there and all up and running - they've done a great job.  I can certainly see me picking it up at some point - just no idea where it's actually going to go... :-/
    PapaBear
  • windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 39
    I went by my local Lego store to have a look at the one they have on display - it's much bigger than it looks in the photos!

I don't really have space for it, but I could make a different track arrangement which could run alongside the edge of desk/wall.

Does anyone know if spare track packs are planned? Is anyone else planning to build it in a different arrangement?

• arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    It's funny how everyone whined for the past 2 years that there is no lego roller coaster.  And now that we have one noone has room for it ( myself included). 
    HugeYellowBricksid3windrJohnyk668
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,485
    PapaBear said:
    anyone have any idea on if/when the track pieces will be available @ PAB?  I count at least 6 new track pieces for the coaster
    I believe there's 7 track pieces and two coaster pieces.
    arathemis said:
    It's funny how everyone whined for the past 2 years that there is no lego roller coaster.  And now that we have one noone has room for it ( myself included). 
    One? At least 3 in a year including the Joker Manor and Pirate coaster.
    BumblepantsSumoLegogmonkey76OnebricktoomanymadforLEGOFizyxkiki180703
    PapaBear said:
    There's 7 pieces, but when will they be available at PAB?
    PapaBear said:
    PapaBear said:
    I believe it is something like 30-60 days as Im guessing they need to make enough for a production run, then you still may have to call them to get the pieces.
    PapaBear
    arathemis said:
    In those two years I've bought too much! Had it come out earlier, room would be plentiful!
    Fizyxsid3windr
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 802
    arathemis said:
    Don't forget the Unikitty coaster
    PapaBear said:
    PapaBear said:
    I believe it is something like 30-60 days as Im guessing they need to make enough for a production run, then you still may have to call them to get the pieces.
    Okay, cool.  Do you think that is 30-60 days from when it is available to VIP members or the public?
    Jern92 said:
    arathemis said:
    Perhaps, but I find it hard to use the same term for one that isn’t a full circuit.
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 266
    Jern92 said:
    And the friends coaster.
    Not exactly listing rollercoasters of quality...
    PapaBear said:
    PapaBear said:
    PapaBear said:
    Okay, cool.  Do you think that is 30-60 days from when it is available to VIP members or the public?
    Wide spread release I'm guessing. All speculation at this point though. I'm guessing if you can get 'chummy' with a CS rep they can probably confirm when parts should become available.
    I emailed them and got this response:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. It's all very exciting the new LEGO® set 10261 Roller Coaster and the new parts that are in this set! I am sure your LEGO building creative mind is working on what you are going to build with the new track pieces. We do not have a date when or if those new track elements will be available for purchase separate from the set.

I know many big LEGO fans are anxious to get the new track pieces and create! Just keep an eye out on the website shop.LEGO.com to see when those will be available for purchase.

If we can assist you with anything else please contact us at the number in this email. Have a bricktastic day!

• EDB157EDB157 Phila, PAMember Posts: 2
    Stupid question for those that have one already.....Are the base plates "bright green" or "green" ?   Looking to build out the surrounding area and want to match color...Thank you
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    EDB157 said:
    Stupid question for those that have one already.....Are the base plates "bright green" or "green" ?   Looking to build out the surrounding area and want to match color...Thank you
    They're Bright Green. :) That said, if you decide to make a layout for all the Fairground sets, then the Carousel is going to stand out because it has a Dark Green (classic green) base. I'd probably recommend a Bright Green base for the overall layout, since the Ferris Wheel's base layers Dark Green over Bright Green, so it won't stick out too much if you do the same with the Carousel.
    snowhitie
  • Pepster64Pepster64 Livonia, MIMember Posts: 17
    Aanchir said:
    EDB157 said:
    They're Bright Green. :) That said, if you decide to make a layout for all the Fairground sets, then the Carousel is going to stand out because it has a Dark Green (classic green) base. I'd probably recommend a Bright Green base for the overall layout, since the Ferris Wheel's base layers Dark Green over Bright Green, so it won't stick out too much if you do the same with the Carousel.
    Funny, you would think Lego would know better. The former color matcher in me just shakes my head in horror (joking), for I truly was a color matcher in my old job working for an automotive paint manufacturer. 
  • EDB157EDB157 Phila, PAMember Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Thank you for the quick reply
  • MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 72
    Just arrived in perfect box condition from [email protected] :) Very cute set. The 530 round white brick count  is intimidating. :) 
    Pumpkin_3CK5
    MooreFX said:
    Just arrived in perfect box condition from [email protected] :) Very cute set. The 530 round white brick count  is intimidating. :) 
    Mine is scheduled for delivery today! So excited! I know what I'll be building tonight after work! Well .....over a few nights!
    MooreFXsnowhitiePumpkin_3CK5
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 34
    Looks so good, must resist!!!
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 172
    Designer video is released. 

davetheoxygenmanAstrobricksMooreFXmsandersstluxomniumSeanTheCollectorkiki180703
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 201
    Interesting at the end where he picks the whole lot up and walks off? Is it really that stable?
    omnium
    gold682 said:
    Interesting at the end where he picks the whole lot up and walks off? Is it really that stable?
    The instructions show you which part of the model you can pick up first (a secure pillar) which enables you to put your hands underneath. With both hands underneath the model it is pretty stable. You have to be careful when putting it back down (but much like any model). The only thing is that sometimes you have to press down on pieces that may have come loose during transit. You will soon find out what came loose when you try and run the roller coaster!
    stluxeMJeeNLFizyxkiki180703
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 346
    I so want to get one but other than shows, I wouldn't be able to have it out.  I just don't have room for it.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 594
    Saw that over the weekend.  It's absolutely insane!!  The construction of the beams on that banked turn is just mind blowing.
    77ncaachamps
    I've been planning on adding to mine ever since I got my first one.  All I need is for Amazon to stock it and then I can use my points.