The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Wet damage - wrinkled box - how to fix?

Hi, I bought back some OTE sets, and the 4504 box was wet damaged- wrinkled, the top lifted part, any way to fix the wrinkles, I checked on youtube, did not find.   Thank you!

Comments

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 687
    It depends on how badly the card is warped or distorted.

You can iron it if it’s not awfully damaged.

You have to go careful, use grease-proof paper and a tea towel but you can help improve the look a little using a steam iron. You'll want someone to help hold the box and don't hold the iron over for too long on each pass. The grease proof paper is there to protect the print, so put that on top of the box lid first, then the tea towel laid out flat (a towelling one if you have it), press lightly at first and check often to see if it’s doing anything. Try from both sides too.

I have done this a couple of times previously, most successfully on a #924 box, it improved quite a bit, but it is still a little bit warped. I can’t remember if I dampened the tea towel or just relied on the steam (probably the latter). I've never heard of anyone else doing this, so I'm cautious to advise this as a “tried and tested” solution.

Paper and card are usually “hot-pressed”, if you've ever done any watercolour painting, you'll understand about the need to “stretch” the paper by dampening it first. Most paper buckles when you apply watercolour if you haven’t stretched it first. By soaking the paper uniformly and sticking it down in a taught position using gummed tape and then allowing it to dry again you eliminate the buckling. It's these sorts of principles sort of in reverse we are using to try to improve the water damaged card.

You are trying to force the card back to it's original state by applying heat and moisture, but the print will have distorted too and so the best you can hope for is an improvement and never a total return to a “near-mint” condition.

If I recall correctly, I put some heavy books on the flap with the box hung over the side of a table when I was done. Over night should be enough.

4504 is a big box, so you could be fighting a losing a battle from the outset, apply caution at first, you'll get a feel for if it’s making any difference quite quickly, you'll need to improvise “the heavy book” and I don’t have any suggestions for that.

Also, the card will get quite hot, so mind you don't burn yourself on it!

Finally, as a caveat, I've never had it go wrong, make it worse and lift the print off, but I think that is a possibility.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,110
    I bought an entire pallet of Lego from Walmart that was stored in one of those old semi truck trailers on the back. When they went to get it out the manager noticed that the trailer roof leaked and a fair amount of the boxes were wet. He called me and asked if I was still interested . I said sure and got them super cheap. I ended up opening most of them up and selling them without the box. I feared that the boxes would start growing mold inside and start attracting bugs.
  • blue2003avalancheblue2003avalanche CanadaMember Posts: 5
    I will try the iron and paper this week, will post my try out, thank you!
    You might want a second sheet of grease-proof paper underneath when you’re ironing too.
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 150
    Thanos75 said:
    I bought an entire pallet of Lego from Walmart that was stored in one of those old semi truck trailers on the back. When they went to get it out the manager noticed that the trailer roof leaked and a fair amount of the boxes were wet. He called me and asked if I was still interested . I said sure and got them super cheap. I ended up opening most of them up and selling them without the box. I feared that the boxes would start growing mold inside and start attracting bugs.
    So the instruction books and stickers escaped the water damage? 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,280

@Mr_Cross - that was quite the informative essay. Kudos to your explanatory skills!