Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Kickstarter: Leguino- Merging Lego with Arduino

Hi,

I found this interesting KickStarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leguinofan/leguino-merging-lego-with-arduinotm-you-are-the-in

It might be intesting for others as well :) I am backing this one :)
tomerbichuelo

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    It's a nice idea but they seem incredibly expensive. For example, those small servo motors cost about £1.25 each on ebay and aliexpress and it is easy to glue a lego brick or join an axle to them. Similarly, LEDs are pennies, temperature and potentiometers under £1 each. Of course, these are not put inside a brick, just the bare sensors.

For example, their ultrasonic proximity sensor:

is this (at a cost 70p delivered from ali).

If people are willing to do a bit of drilling / cutting and more hands on stuff, you can have very similar kit for a lot, lot less. And there are loads of demo programs and guides how to use the basic sensors.

Whereas if you want the convenience of being ready to go out the box, wouldn't you go for a genuine LEGO system - WeDo, Boost, Mindstorms, etc. The kickstarter kit prices are similar to those for genuine LEGO kit.

Maybe there is an inbetween market, but at prices similar to LEGO's I cannot see them filling it.
    akunthitaFowlerBricksomniumFizyx
  • tomertomer munichMember Posts: 2
    Its of course not the price whcih makes it different - even it is a good price - it is the smooth approach to merge Lego with Arduino Stuff. There is a article here from today. Check it out https://mikeshouts.com/leguino-arduino-lego-compatible-bricks/

Anyways - i love this! Thanks Daniella for the post!

tomer said:
    Its of course not the price whcih makes it different - even it is a good price - it is the smooth approach to merge Lego with Arduino Stuff. There is a article here from today. Check it out https://mikeshouts.com/leguino-arduino-lego-compatible-bricks/

Anyways - i love this! Thanks Daniella for the post!

How many people are into LEGO and arduino and not already combining the two? Most makers I know that play about with arduinos tend to be quite hands on at adapting things anyway. After all, arduino is essentially a barebones system that requires some tinkering. And people have been building cases and so on for r-pis and arduinos out of lego parts since they first came out.

I think the price is important. Prices are similar to mindstorms, and if anyone wants the convenience of not having to "look under the hood" in terms of programming, what incentive is there to go for the arduino one rather than the official LEGO one, the uses genuine LEGO parts? Especially when you consider that it appears none of the parts are genuine. That mug is not LEGO, the parts are not LEGO. This line "Leguino is essentially LEGO-compatible brick with Arduino and Raspberry compatible electronics in it" makes it sound like the insides are not genuine arduino boards either, so probably the cheap Chinese knock-offs.
  • tomertomer munichMember Posts: 2
    doesn´t matter. It is exactly what i want! No fuzz, no hassle while making stuff! Yeah!
    OK, go for it. Luckily they set a very, very low threshold so it will be funded with just a few backers.