The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hello Brickset, I need educated opinions

Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 464
Firstly, hi. I'm new to Brickset forums but not to Brickset itself. I'm from Tasmania, Australia, where Lego is both scarce and expensive. Fortunately the Internet is fine down here so I buy almost all of my Lego online. I can get some pretty good discounts if I wait long enough anyway, which makes being a TFOL a little more financially bearable.

...Which brings me to my second point. I collect Star Wars but I have never owned a single Hoth set (or a UCS set, for the record, but that's kind of irrelevant). I just found 75098 Assault on Hoth for less than half its RRP, putting it under 10c per part which is insanely good value for money in Australia. I'm aware of the poor quality of the set - the minifigures included are generally bad; the models are small, many, and not too great either; and the poor Imperials don't really have much of an Assault going for them. I've heard some pretty creative insults for this set. Nevertheless, I feel that it's good value for money at half price and fitting for someone like me that has absolutely nothing already included. I also don't personally mind the broken-up design. Is it really that bad? Does it cover all of the major Rebel stuff (there's f all Empire stuff) from the Battle of Hoth well enough? Would it even be worth investing in for the future at that price? I need the thoughts of experienced people who know what they're talking about.
MAGNINOMINISUMBRA

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,845
    edited April 5
    It is a fine set if you don't have any Hoth stuff. The major complaint about it was that it was a bunch of smaller sets/builds bundled into an expensive box and labeled UCS. If you want to get a Hoth Lego set up going from scratch a half-price deal on that set will be the best way you can start.

At the end of your post you seem to be switching gears and asking about investment values and that is a different question entirely. I have difficulty imagining that set ever exceeding RRP since it felt pretty high to begin with.

In summary, absolutely get it if you want it for yourself to build at half price, don't expect to make a bunch of money investing in it.
    akunthitagmonkey76
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    Im assuming your local Target?
    I echo @Bumblepants sentiments entirely.  I've picked up a single AOH in Qld for the same price (and only for completeness).  If they've also got the UCS Tie at 50% off, that's the one I'd grab a couple of.  I'm not familiar with posting from Tassie but it's EXTREMELY hard these days to make good after market profits in Oz unless you're buying at at least 50% off and are selling locally.  International postage these days on big sets like these is an absolute killer!
    Welcome aboard BTW!  Always nice to see more Aussies on the forum.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,347
    It is not a bad set, it is just a combination of small parts that many AFOLs have already, which lead to the complaints. There is nothing wrong with the minifigures, and snowtroopers are cheap and plentiful to supplement it.

I wouldn't invest in it though, simply because the future demand is likely to be low.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 464
    edited April 6
    It is a fine set if you don't have any Hoth stuff. The major complaint about it was that it was a bunch of smaller sets/builds bundled into an expensive box and labeled UCS.
    CCC said:
    It is not a bad set, it is just a combination of small parts that many AFOLs have already
    Thanks! I don't really care about the UCS label and while the idea of a bunch of older sets thrown in together isn't a good idea in general, I think you're correct in that it's a good idea for me.
    Im assuming your local Target?

I echo @Bumblepants sentiments entirely. I've picked up a single AOH in Qld for the same price (and only for completeness). If they've also got the UCS Tie at 50% off, that's the one I'd grab a couple of. I'm not familiar with posting from Tassie but it's EXTREMELY hard these days to make good after market profits in Oz unless you're buying at at least 50% off and are selling locally. International postage these days on big sets like these is an absolute killer!

Welcome aboard BTW! Always nice to see more Aussies on the forum.
    Yep, Target. I was considering the TIE but they sold out unfortunately and there's nothing online. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Looks like I'm getting it. Thank you for the responses!
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA