Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Getting Needed Pieces to Build

DarlaHSDarlaHS KentuckyMember Posts: 7
I am an AFOL and just getting my collection of Legos built up again. Who knew when I was 20 something that I would still be wanting to build in my 50`s. I am asking for advice. I have purchased some creative boxes and the architecture studio. I am finding that even though I seem to have many pieces, I don`t have the right ones to finish a build. How does one go about growing their Lego supply so that it includes needed pieces? Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    www.bricklink.com
    madforLEGO
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 309
    Also Brickowl.com. Or Bricks and Pieces directly from Lego, choose the "Buy bricks" option. You'll need to know part numbers or the number of the set that the parts come from. And once your adding bricks don't press back on your browser, always use the I want to add bricks from another set option.
    madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    Tkatt said:
    Also Brickowl.com. Or Bricks and Pieces directly from Lego, choose the "Buy bricks" option. You'll need to know part numbers or the number of the set that the parts come from. And once your adding bricks don't press back on your browser, always use the I want to add bricks from another set option.
    Or PaB online at shop.lego.com for that matter, they have a lot of brick and plate in the PaB and sometimes the brick found in the PaB will be cheaper than what is in the bricks and pieces section.
  • DarlaHSDarlaHS KentuckyMember Posts: 7
    How do you go about continously building your amount of Legos? Do you purchase certain sets? Do you purchase only certain bricks? I am really needing to know what other AFOL`s do.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    I little of everything. nowadays it is hard to get a huge lot of LEGO second hand without having to pay dearly for them. I typically buy the Creator houses when on sale, I also have just bought pieces from LEGO directly, bought sets that I wanted the figures for, so parted the rest of the set out, etc.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    I will often browse this site for sets containing a high number of parts and colors I am interested in and then wait for a good sale or clearance to come. 
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    The frontpage of Brickset lists a "best deals" section and I'll often look through sets that are deeply discounted to see if they fit with anything on my future project list...
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    edited March 2018
    Amazon, Target, and Walmart sales. When shopping for parts only, I try to wait for sales that bring the per-piece price down to 5 cents or less on sets with interesting pieces. Walmart has been the best bet lately for this, since they seem to do aggressive clearance sales. Also, keep an eye out in thrift stores, and even antique stores. I bought a huge amount of used parts (over a couple years) at a local antique store.

Oh, and you can try the Toys r Us liquidation, but so far they haven’t had great LEGO deals.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 723
    @Astrobricks Are you talking about the antique mall in Burnsville, on Highway 13? Their annual sale is this weekend; last year it was 20% off pretty much everything. There's not much LEGO left, but lots of random minifigures for a buck each- $.80 this weekend.
    This Saturday going to Indianapolis, IN for Brickworld/Lego annual convention. This will be my first time. Next year will attend the convention in Louisville, KY. Has anyone been to one of these conventions?
    @Astrobricks Are you talking about the antique mall in Burnsville, on Highway 13? Their annual sale is this weekend; last year it was 20% off pretty much everything. There's not much LEGO left, but lots of random minifigures for a buck each- $.80 this weekend.
    Yup, that's the one. I was a regular there for a couple years. Unfortunately, Lance has gotten out of the LEGO business mostly, so there isn't much left and nothing coming in.  He says it's because he can't find them cheap anymore. I picked up over 30 one gallon ziplock bags for $4 each there during his big selloff. I'm finally down to one bag of used LEGO left to sort. It's got most of an Avengers tower in it.
    @AstrobricksWWhat type of items can you purchase at these conventions? Would love to pick up a shirt.
    edited March 2018
    DarlaHS said:
    @Astrobricks What type of items can you purchase at these conventions? Would love to pick up a shirt.
    Sorry, I’ve never actually been to a convention.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 612
    @DarlaHS:  If Brickworld Indy is anything like Brickworld Chicago in June, the area will be divided into two sections: AFOL displaying their exhibits, and independent vendors selling their LEGO.  If there is any exclusive merchandise available it will likely be among the vendors.  Exhibitors might get some special swag as part of their participation fee, but since I've never done this I wouldn't know.  Have fun at the show!