Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricklinking 10179 UCS Millenium Falcon

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

LFT: With parts prices seen now, there was no need to buy UCS MFs to make a mint, just a huge stockpile of dishes, levers and rigging - 100-fold profit margin.

For me the only ceiling the MF has is how much you can bricklink it yourself if you're willing to forego the box and manual. Take away the ability to finish a bricklinked example and who knows how much some would pay for a complete boxed example, used or new? Right now there are people who can live with black levers, black rigging and a plain dish to save £250.

I wonder if the MF would look better with all black levers (as per Jabbas pipe piece on the new palace set) as opposed to the bley/black common one?

Since I am building the Falcon right now, allow me to offer an opinion... The bley rigging is needed,maybe black looks silly. The all bley levers are not needed, the bley on black would look just fine. The dish is 50/50, it looks really nice, but I can see it both ways.

If you recall, I had tossed out the idea of having a plastics company produce copies of the bley boat rigging, the printed dish, and maybe the levers. One of the concerns I posted about was that if I made it easy to bricklink the rest of the set by selling 500 copies of those rare parts, then a bunch of other "not quite rare" parts would then become rare.

So then it becomes a problem of what is the next rare part, and so on?

Then the question becomes, could I have the whole set reproduced, without the box and manual of course, for less than a used set or bricklinked set costs?

I think the answer is yes, but if I made a thouand reproduction copies of this set and tried to sell them for $999 each, TLG would then sue me. :). So I'm not going to do that. :)
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ I BrickLinked my MF quite a while ago so I don't know the availability of all parts currently, but I'll let you know some of the issues that I ran into.

I used Peeron's inventory to keep track of parts, and that was a big mistake. They have quite a few wrong parts/colors that made things more difficult or expensive for me to get. BrickLink's inventory for 10179 is much better. Make sure you look at the alternate type items near the bottom of the inventory, since those are the ones that are most likely still in production (ie, the pin joiners with slots vs. ones without).

The 1x16 dark bluish gray technic bricks will be expensive to buy, even from LEGO. Most of them are in the interior support of the ship so you can buy cheaper colors, but there are a few that can be seen from the exterior. Since you don't seem too worried about buying exact colors, you buy most of them in whichever color is cheapest for you to find, but buy about 10 of them in the dark bluish gray for the ones that are visible.

You've probably already come across the problem with light bluish gray levers. I've seen people substitute in black ones, but to me it stands out quite a bit (especially for someone who knows that they're supposed to be gray). A cheap solution is to sub it out with the old gray levers. I've used light bluish gray bases with old gray levers and the difference can only been seen in the right lighting, and only for someone who knows what they're looking for.

All of the yellow technic pieces are used in the internal support, so you can sub in cheaper colors if you want. I went ahead and ordered them direct from LEGO, since they are still in production and much much cheaper than BL.

I was able to buy the boat riggings and radar dish for a fairly reasonable price, so I can't really help you out there.

I hope that some of these tidbits helps. Good luck with the project and let me know if you need any other help.
  • Mad_DogMad_Dog SpainMember Posts: 71
    This may sound silly...but I have another motivation, I really like the "parts hunt", finding a missing part cheap, or getting first to a rare part...

Rgrds
    Mad_Dog said:

This may sound silly...but I have another motivation, I really like the "parts hunt", finding a missing part cheap, or getting first to a rare part...

Rgrds

That isn't silly at all. If you enjoy the hunt, go for it.

All I am saying is the hunt is getting more expensive and will become impossible at some point without making a lot of compromises.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    Yup, I would always want an exact model. No compromises. I'm pretty anal though.
    That's true, sooner or later, probably sooner, BLing a UCS life MF or SNP will be impossible.

Rgrds
    The sticker, if anyone cares and wants it, is over $100 now.

The bley boat riggings are $250 for a set.

The dark bley 16x technic parts are not bad, but the only seller to have them in qty (you need 47 of them) are near $2 a part.

The printed dish is $50, a single seller has 8 of them.

The light bley levers are $3.15 each from the only seller with 60 of them.

The dark bley cones are nearing $2 each, but you can sub out the newer parts I would imagine.
    Wow, there are not two copies of the instructions on BL, $400!!!
    About the sticker, I got it from a "side" source...original manual would be great, but the price is a "no-go" for me...printed dish new 45€, now is a bit more expensive...levers, got them new at about 2'8€, expensive but cheaper than now...anyway sometimes it is just pure luck.

Rgrds
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    All this extra info is great, some of it I had suspected as much e.g. 1x16 Technic beams and yellow technic angles are 1/4 of the bricklinked price going direct to TLG. I probably have another couple of BL orders to make until i'm down to probably 400-500ish parts that aren't economical to source through bricklink and getting hammered on the postage for small orders.

It's a pity I can't really get started on it just yet as it's the fundamental frame pieces i'm mainly missing now.

I printed out the manual from the 130mb PDF file and bound it using (ahem!) employer resources - much better than running off the computer screen or feeding it into the TV.
    ^ The original manual is a sight to behold, shame it is so expensive... Building from the iPad just isn't the same. :)

It is the same oversize, spiral bound manual that 10188 Death Star comes with, very nice and detailed.

But no, it isn't worth $400. :) At least in my humble opinion.
    LFT: Yes, I have one of those for my Deathstar - now that's a set I cannot see being viable to bricklink in the future. The colour laser printed crimp bound manuals I have made for myself will do just as good a job in helping me construct the MF, but a manual for $400 does seem crazy (but so does the rigging and dish prices)
    ^ Why on Earth do you not see the Death Star as being viable to Bricklink?

Time is really the only issue, I don't see anything rare in that set, the bulk items are made up of very common parts, the few semi-rare parts are easy to sub out for alts.

Besides the best selling nature of 10188, the other thing that is going to hold the price down is the common parts I would think.
    LFT: Lots of minifigs (admittedly none of them unique to that set apart from the luke/han stormtroopers that can be made up from combining luke/han/stormy elements). I suppose it's hard seeing it viable to do for double retail price right now. If it went 3 or 4 times retail or more, like MF then it would be financially viable, but with the number out there having been opened and displayed or played with and also the number being stockpiled in anticipation of it going EOL long before now, I can't see it shooting up that fast or that high to make it worth anyones while.

It is predominantly a kids toy rather than AFOL display set (in intended market, lots of AFOLs have one, me included), so from an AFOL point of view it's not so much of a "must have" as the true UCS sets and kids won't be bothered to bricklink it so I think demand (or lack of) will keep the prices low for a good couple of years after EOL.

I can't see Bricklink being the cheap option to acquire this for years after EOL for most unless they have an extensive spare parts inventory to have 1/2 of the parts up front.
    ^ Ahh, I see what you mean now... I do agree that this one is not going to shoot up in price as quickly as I once thought it did. Besides it sticking around a year too long for that, it indeed isn't a UCS set, just a huge playset.

I still think it will double a year or so after retirement, maybe less, but 5x retail? That will be a long time in coming...
    About 650 pieces left and bricklinking is now uneconomical. The parts I have left are either much cheaper with TLG, or the price difference is so small that i'll not recoup the shipping charges on the small bricklinked orders. Time to put an order in with LEGO.

For all the parts featuring on pickabrick, biggest part savings were on the:-

1x16 technic beams @ 64p each
    2x2 tiles of all colours @ 6p each (they're very scarce on bricklink)
    8x8 plates @ 44p each
    4x1 plate wing @ 13p each
    2x1 block with ratchet fingers @ 22p each
    2 x1 plate with single open stud on top centre @ 6p each in all colours
    Yellow technic angles @ 48p each

Could be handy info for anyone about to bricklink.

I had about 2000 parts in the correct colours to start with (and about another 1800 in the wrong colour), have spent about £180 on bricklink ( new parts only), anticipating spending another £120 with Lego, then will have to spend another £100 to acquire a single rigging piece and the printed dish.

£400 total project spend, not too bad, but I can only see it getting dearer to do from this point
    Flump: Did you ever get that rigging that was ordered for way back in April?
    £400? That is about $650, a very good price to put that set together. Of course, it helps that you had 2,000 of the 5,197 parts to begin with, do you have an estimate of what those would cost?

I ask, because from searching it myself and talking to another forum member who also recently did this, I no longer think it is possible to bricklink the whole set from scratch for under $1,000 with everything being the proper parts. It might be getting closer to $1,500 if we are talking about 100% correct parts, ignoring the manual, but counting the proper sticker.

Glad to hear it is working out for you. I considered it seriously, but buying a complete set for just a bit more was worth it to me personally, but that of course is a personal choice.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769

Flump: Did you ever get that rigging that was ordered for way back in April?

I didn't mate. Completely forgot and moved house a month or so afterwards. I'll have to find time to chase that up.
    edited September 2012
    So...my question to everyone who didn't buy the UCS MF. Why didn't you buy this at retail or when it was on sale?

• hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    I wasn't really collecting LEGO at the time -- well, not Star Wars stuff. Just the Modulars. I definitely remember seeing it but $500 seemed like far too much to spend on a piece of LEGO, especially at a time when I was getting married, buying a house, etc.
    Ok, that is my point. Although most of us have purchased the Death Star, a lot of people haven't for a bunch of reasons. I feel those same people will want the Death Star and it will be too expensive to buy in the secondary market.
    ...Bricklinking will be their only option.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    ^ And then you're back to the question about the minifigs. Is it really a set that can be as easily justified as the Falcon?
    I think the minifigures are not unique to either set other than the black proticol Droid right?
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 787
    edited September 2012
    ^But it's just a black Protocol Droid right? I understand 3PO being expensive just because he is who he is, but what of the others?

Having read through this thread, I can't help but have the urge to start the Bricklinking process. I can hold my self back, but I wonder for how long?
    Are people Bricklinking the minifigures as well as the Falcon?
    ^To be honest, I would, just to have the set complete.

I also have to ask: Which pieces in #10179 would be smart to Bricklink now as opposed to later when there is barely any to meet demand? (think like bley mast riggings as opposed to black technic pins)
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    The black protocol droid and Obi-Wan are the only two minifigs that are exclusive to 10188 (not including brick built droids and Han and Luke stormies), but it's the sheer number of minifigures that drive up the price.

I bought a used 10188 without minfigures a while ago, and replacing all the minifigs cost over $150 and took several different sellers. I can definitely see this number going way up after the set discontinues.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    flump said:

^ And then you're back to the question about the minifigs. Is it really a set that can be as easily justified as the Falcon?

I haven't built the Death Star yet so I can't speak to the build experience or to the parts. I do think the sheer number of "all at once" minifigs is part of the charm. You get basically every main character in A New Hope, all in one set. With the Emperor, two Royal Guards, and ROTJ Luke as a kicker. That said, looking at the ANH figs, I think I have just about every single one in some form. The heroes all came with my two Falcons (albeit slightly different versions in each one). You can pick up R2 in every other set, and even Threepio is relatively common these days. I have an Imperial Trooper and Stormies from other sets, and as discussed I have extra yellow and brown hair lying around to make Han and Luke Stormies. I can create Tarkin in a pinch (old Ben's hair on an Imperial officer). I really don't care about the droids (and have a black astromech from the latest TIE Fighter anyway.

So the minifigs, while nice, aren't what sell this set. I bought it mainly for the "build" experience and plan to save the set for a rainy day with kids, who will particularly appreciate the "playset" aspect.
    Pitfall69 said:

So...my question to everyone who didn't buy the UCS MF. Why didn't you buy this at retail or when it was on sale?

Well, to be honest I was not into Lego in those days, my life was going through a lot of changes and was trying to readapt to normal schedules, I had been working in shifts for 4.5 years (8 hours day, evening and night during the week and 12 hours in the weekend, sometimes 14 days in a row) and had lost a lot of friends and family contact, I got promoted to a normal office hours job and was trying to get a "normal" life.

Sadly I had the money then, but I do not remember seeing it in the shops, because most probably I would have bought it.

Rgrds
    edited September 2012
    Pitfall69 said:

Are people Bricklinking the minifigures as well as the Falcon?

Nope, my interest is the ship itself.

Rgrds
    I think we all have an "inner child" within us. Playset or not, I think all of us would enjoy the build :)
    Pitfall69 said:

I think we all have an "inner child" within us. Playset or not, I think all of us would enjoy the build :)

Amen... :-D

I was building the UCS IS and my girlfriend said that I had a smile from ear to ear while building it.

Rgrds
    Fantastic. I love it :)
    "I see you have constructed a new light saber" I know the scenes were going through your head while building the IS
    Pitfall69 said:

"I see you have constructed a new light saber" I know the scenes were going through your head while building the IS

To be true, I do not know how may times I have seen Ep IV through VI, probably too may as I know most of the dialogues by memory, both in english and spanish, although I usually watch it in english, Darth Vader's spanish voice is fantastic, but James Earl Jones' voice is...Vader

Rgrds
    Pitfall69 said:

I was too young to afford it. I may be making some money now, but still not enough to purchase it at today's rate.
    Penkid11 said:

I also have to ask: Which pieces in #10179 would be smart to Bricklink now as opposed to later when there is barely any to meet demand? (think like bley mast riggings as opposed to black technic pins)

Well? Any thoughts?
    I didn't bricklink the figs, I bought the new Falcon when it could be got for £70, i'm happy to use those figs and you get Darth as well (incase you wanted to recreate the Hangar scene on the Death Star where Obiwan sacrifices himself.

@LFT. Most of the bits I already had were wing plates and common stuff, mostly large singular pieces. The Box of bits I already had dwarves my Bricklinked box which contains more parts. As it is I would estimate I would have spent another £300 to bricklink the other stuff I already had. For my £400 total spend I will only have substituted the black long technic pins for cheap blue ones and the levers for the common bley/black ones.

As to the question "why didn't you buy this when it was cheap?" - I suppose everyone who wants one now has asked themselves that a hundred times. Back in 2009 I pretty much only had Vaders Tie and the motorised AT-AT, and wasn't really back into Lego, I just really wanted those vehicles and they were got for a bargain price. I scoffed at paying £350 for a Lego set, no matter how big. Now the stuff is taking over my man-cave.
    ^ Thanks for the details, it is very en-lighting.

I wasn't back into Lego when Falcon retired, I bought my first "new" Lego set in Dec 2010, so Falcon was gone then. I did make up for it by buying a brand new copy in Feb 2011, but then never opened it. :) Kept thinking I'd get around to it. I thought the $1,100 I paid then was just nuts, but that turns out to be a bargain price for a new in sealed box copy now, doesn't it?

What REALLY sucks is that I waited so long to get CC and GG, those could have been had 18 months ago for very reasonable prices, but they were just not on the radar screen. Ditto with Taj Mahal and Grand Carousel.

Oh well, such is life... I've made up for it, buying the back catalog, but my pocketbook sure feels it.

Back to the Falcon, it sounds like it is even worse than I suspected. You had £300 of parts already, and your copy isn't complete, swapping out the very expensive light bley levers for the black ones. This tells me that the Falcon is only going to continue to rise in price, abit slowly since fewer and fewer people are interested in spending $2K plus on a Lego set.

Boy, $500 sure seems cheap now, doesn't it? :)

As to the question "why didn't you buy this when it was cheap?" - I suppose everyone who wants one now has asked themselves that a hundred times. Back in 2009 I pretty much only had Vaders Tie and the motorised AT-AT, and wasn't really back into Lego, I just really wanted those vehicles and they were got for a bargain price. I scoffed at paying £350 for a Lego set, no matter how big. Now the stuff is taking over my man-cave.

Yeah, I was asking because I did the same thing prior to buying some larger ticket Lego sets. "No way am I going to spend $250 for a Lego set". I eventually did and they kept getting more expensive. Had I not gotten the UCS MF on sale, I probably wouldn't have gotten it at all. I'm sure that people who are coming out of their "Dark Ages" are saying the same thing to themselves. Then people come into a little money and now will spend over rrp to obtain a set they could have had for much less. The Death Star will not go up in price like the UCS MF, but I think it will do very well after it's retired.

^ What is so amazing is that once a $500 Lego set sounded like the most absurd thing in the world...

Today, TLG could release a 10,000 part UCS Sandcrawler or UCS AT-AT for $999 and I'd buy both without thinking twice about either.

Shocking, isn't it? :)
    LFT: I draw the line at a $1000/£650 UCS AT-AT (unless I could buy it in a sale for about £500). Hopefully the big ticket items come with a bit of a price per part discount over the likes of Jabba's palace. 8-10p a piece is more than enough for a 2000+ piece set. I think that right now £500 is my ceiling on anything Lego related (it was probably about £200 when the UCS MF was in circulation).
    ^ If they put both out at the same time, we could all just wait for a TRU BOGO50! :)

The days of 8-10 cents a part are drawing to a close, most of the summer SW sets are in the 13-17 cent per part range (don't really know the UK prices, these are US prices).

Keep in mind that while it might be a little less expensive to do a large, bulk set, it more matters what is in the set. Look at 10221 - SSD. It is 3,100 parts for $400, that is about 13 cents a part, that is really expensive for a box of gray parts, but it is a large finished model once built. Look at the price of the B-Wing... same thing there...

So for large sets going forward, I expect 13-15 cents per part to be the new normal, sadly enough...
    I don't like the SSD enough to find a place (that I don't have) to display it or pay more than about £200 for it, so I doubt i'd ever miss it when it's gone (I would much prefer a regular UCS ISD, but they've done that already and I hear it's none too sturdy). It's hard to put a part price on some UCS sets. Some said that R2 was a bargain, but most of the pieces that make it are tiny. The SSD is £350 in the UK (about $560). Sometimes TLG emply a fair exchange rate (such as £350/$500 for UCS MF, or £275/$400 for DS), and others they clearly dont. If I could get a SSD for just about $400/£250 i'd have a think about it.

UCS AT-AT in mnifig scale at around 5000 parts for no more than £500 is something I would go for.
    Interesting that Death Star is £275 and Super Star Destroyer is £350. In the US, both are $400, same price. If the SSD were any higher, that would just be nuts. As it is, I only bought a copy because it was 20% off. That put it right around 10 cents per part, still expensive, but not crazy so.

Today, if a UCS AT-AT had over 5,000 parts, I would not be shocked if it was a $700 set. Oh well...
    edited September 2012
    Heads up on the printed dish for anyone bricklinking: "simply bricks" in the UK has a new one left for £27.50 (I just bought the other one!). Cheapest i've seen one.
    Anyone here have a single Bley rigging piece for sale? It's annoying to have one but need two.

Heads up on the printed dish for anyone bricklinking: "simply bricks" in the UK has a new one left for £27.50 (I just bought the other one!). Cheapest i've seen one.

This happens sometimes, you find a "bargain" and it is quite nice.

Rgrds
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^^^ it's interesting to check the price guide - they've been selling them one by one at that price for a few weeks... there were also a few of the bley riggings on at slightly less than the usual current rate a week or s back (different seller)