Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Speed Champions Cartoon

Hey S.C. Fans! Don't you think that it's time for LEGO to create a cartoon adaptation of the highly successful Speed Champions toy line series?

Comments

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Member Posts: 2,533
    This would be cool but if there are races involved, imagine the seething between brands when one wins over another. If you've ever seen the Racers 4D movie they used to screen at Legoland parks, that had a simple and decent enough story to get you backing the main driver. I have a feeling that tv properties will only get passed if they have strong, named and distinguishable characters. TLG obviously don't seem to have taken this route when developing the Speed Champions line but I kind of wish they did.
    VBaskin2008
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    I Think they would but it would also need some stories, some plots, some cliffhangers, you know the whole nine!
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    Definitely not. These are sets based on real franchises. As noted above, the brands are unlikely to agree if their car loses in the storyline. If they want a car racing cartoon, they will need to go in-house.
    VBaskin2008gmonkey76stlux
    Uh not exactly CCC, like NinjaGo, Legends of Chima, HERO Factory, Mixels, NEXO Knights, Elves, Friends of Heartlake City, Unikitty, and Bionicle Speed Champions needs to be set in LEGO City as well every corner of the earth.

But not only that, the show needs to have the good racers and the bad racers too.
  • MaffyDMaffyD Member Posts: 3,500
    Why do I feel like I'm squinting when I'm reading this thread? Anyway, while I think they could probably think of a storyline that over the course of a season allows all the marques to shine without ending up with one 'winning' I don't think Lego should do one. They're spreading themselves a bit thin as it is, and I think the SC line is selling well enough without one.
    gmonkey76BumblepantsVBaskin2008Fizyx
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,538
    The real life race cars are plenty of promo for Lego and they don't have to pay for it.
    VBaskin2008
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    It is a successful line now, presumably because fans of the real thing like the sets.

But make it into a cartoon, aimed at kids, a fake sport with scripted story lines, and what will happen? It will be a distraction for the current fans of the real sport and probably kill the sales.

If it is already successful they don't need to spoil it by adding in a completely different style of media.
    VBaskin2008CaptainLegoAstrobricks
  • AyliffeAyliffe Member Posts: 323
    I doubt it'd outright kill the sales, but I don't really think that out of all TLG's current themes Speed Champions is the one that needs a TV show to be honest? The theme's motoring along (heh) on it's own without one, so there's no real need for TLG to force one into existence innit.

There's, uh, also the fact that TLG's telly shows (with the exceptions of Netflix!Elves, Unikitty and Ninjago on a good day) usually aren't very good when it comes to writing. So there's that.
    VBaskin2008
    IDK The Speed Champions toy line has almost got a Speed Racer and Top Gear themed to it, so it couldn't hurt to let Speed Champions to be in the animated world.

I Mean who knows?

It just might take TLG to a whole new level just NinjaGo did in 2014.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Member Posts: 744
    edited March 2018
    I don't know , but I thought it was the Lego movie that brought TLG to a whole new level in 2014?

Ninjago was already really successful in its initial 2 season plus pilot run, it was originally supposed to end in 2013, but it sold so well the decided to keep it going for a season 3 and on
    VBaskin2008
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU Member Posts: 644
    There really is no need for an animated theme around it. The cars are stylized replicas of existing cars. While there is a race aspect for the theme there are no wacky powers in the cars, no hero/villains, no plot in the sets. 

If a animation were developed it would require a total rework of a theme that doesn' need it. Sets would become less realistic than they are just to push the plot along. I for one don' want heros or saw blades in my cars especially those meant to represent modern super cars.
    BumblepantsCaptainLegostluxVBaskin2008Speedman29
    Actually, they should.

I Mean the cartoon adaptation of Speed Champions has the same spirit and vibe as Speed Racer, but only with a LEGO twist.

And besides it would take the Speed Champions to a whole new world.
    I don't know , but I thought it was the Lego movie that brought TLG to a whole new level in 2014?

Ninjago was already really successful in its initial 2 season plus pilot run, it was originally supposed to end in 2013, but it sold so well the decided to keep it going for a season 3 and on
    Well NinjaGo did came back in 2014 and that was way before The LEGO Movie came in, and at that time Legends Of Chima a LEGO version of the ThunderCats and Mixels LEGO's 1st teamup with WBA and Cartoon Network has already becoming household names for themselves.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Member Posts: 744

Well NinjaGo did came back in 2014 and that was way before The LEGO Movie came in, and at that time Legends Of Chima a LEGO version of the ThunderCats and Mixels LEGO's 1st teamup with WBA and Cartoon Network has already becoming household names for themselves.
    Ninjago was big in 2012 and it's success warranted its return. It wasn't any more successful in it's 2014 than it had been before, in fact from what I remember, that first 2014 wave didn't do that well. The Lego Movie came out at the beginning of 2014 and was VERY successful. Ninjago had very little to do with Lego's success in 2014...

The annual report from 2014 doesn't even mention Ninjago AT ALL.
    In 2012 Ninjago was the 4th best selling theme. It was also in the top five in 2015 and 2016 I believe. Ninjago 2014 didn't perform any better than average and it had no bearing on Lego's 2014 success. That was the Lego Movie...
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2015/february/lego-group-2014-annual-results
    VBaskin2008
    True, but still if other LEGO themes can become cartoons so can Speed Champions.

And besides, no one didn't do a LEGO City cartoon series yet.
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Member Posts: 243
    The main reason why there are no cartoons for the themes mentioned, is that they do not need a cartoon. It could even hurt the themes products and sales. Lego does enough product researsch to know what is good and bad.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Member Posts: 861
    Hey S.C. Fans! Don't you think that it's time for LEGO to create a cartoon adaptation of the highly successful Speed Champions toy line series?
    No.