Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Am I entering a Dark Age or just losing interest in a theme?

2»

Comments

• weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    Not being a completionist is actually what has helped me survive--I am very OCD, so it goes against my usual habits. But once I got to the point where my distaste in certain sets overruled my "gotta have it all" mentality, it was much easier. Do I need a new police or firestation each couple of years? Nope. Kinda tired of the same cops and robbers City sets? Cool, don't buy 'em. Minifigs? I'll buy sealed packs until I get enough doubles to regret it, and then try trading for ones I wanted.

In short, it seems very much like common sense, but buy what you like and don't feel like you have to have everything.
    sonsofscevadmcc0AyliffeFizyxFowlerBricks
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    edited March 2018
    Although I do mainly stick to Star Wars, Im not crazy enough to think I can get every set - and I wouldn't want to either, I'm not even close to being a completionist.
    The self imposed restriction is over though, just bought a couple of technic sets and planning on clearing out a few of the random star wars sets too. Will still pick up any sets that I do really want in the theme, but done with buying it just because it's Star Wars. 
    FowlerBrickssonsofsceva
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 238
    @sonsofsceva-I never knew I wanted Lego Rivendell or Lothlorien until now. Barad-dur, Minas Tirith, and the Bridge of Khazad-dum, sure, but those two did not occur. Heck, can we get the Grey Havens with a white ship while we’re at it?
    sonsofsceva
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 924
    @sonsofsceva-I never knew I wanted Lego Rivendell or Lothlorien until now. Barad-dur, Minas Tirith, and the Bridge of Khazad-dum, sure, but those two did not occur. Heck, can we get the Grey Havens with a white ship while we’re at it?
    Oh man, I feel bad doing this to you now, but I have to.  There are two amazing LEGO Rivendell MOCs that I know of, and I'm going to link you to a video of one, and a Wired article about the other.  Please forgive me for putting these in your head...

Alice Finch (Of gigantic Hogwarts MOC fame) and David Frank's 200k+ piece 10'x5' MOC.

Ben Pitchford's 120k+ piece 50" tall MOC.

I don't think I can pick a favorite from the two, to be honest, as they are both absolutely amazing.  I love some of the detail of the first, like the Nazgûl being over run by the river (the water even has horse shapes!), but the more faithful recreation of the surrounding scenery, along with the inclusion of some wonderful easter egg sites (the ledge where Gandolf revealed the map's text by the light of the moon!) in the second make it hard to beat.

Either way... I don't know if there's an LotR location I want MORE than Rivendell after I saw those two MOCs.
    FowlerBrickssonsofsceva
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 238
    ^Truly epic-too epic, in fact, I think, for Lego to replicate in an actual set. Those are pretty amazing. Still, there's just some stuff that as a Lego fan you have to sigh and realize is never going to make it into physical form, except in the hands of MOCers.
    Fizyx
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,272
    edited March 2018
    I'm glad I haven't been drawn into the 'trap' of completionism at key opportunities last year for the sake of my space and money. I saw the initial wave of TLBM sets and bought the Batmobile/Scuttler/Joker Lowrider but forced myself not to try and complete the theme. Those three sets were adequate and all great in their own ways. When TLNM came out (ridiculously late in the UK in comparison to the USA) I initially felt the need to get all the Secret Ninja Force Mechs, but just settled for the Green Mech Dragon/Water Strider/Destiny's Bounty as I really liked the designs of those three. Perhaps there is power in threes to get a 'taster' without drawing you in?

More recently I very nearly purchased the Downtown Diner. I was initially frustrated that I wasn't buying a great set, but I'm growing to like the idea that if I don't buy any Modulars, I will never regret missing the earlier ones! Also, Star Wars ships that I don't want to put on display I can store in layers inside boxes - I wouldn't be able to do this quite so easily with modular buildings due to their scale. Not that the choice is only between these two themes.
    I meant to post this with my last comment but got timed out of editing it so sorry for the double post, and my mini rant:

...Also, what is it with people endlessly bashing any Star Wars film that isn't part of the OT? When the PT came out people derided the 'new, clean' look, overuse of CGI and the general feeling that they didn't need to know what happened before ANH (but perhaps quite rightly some of the character choices too). Then, when the producers deliberately make Star Wars films that hue much closer to the OT in terms of style and character choices but with an open story, people deride the fact that they're "too much like the old movies" or "making too much of a political statement". I guess you can't please everyone. I don't want to turn this into a SW thread but it is being brought up a strong factor in Lego set fatigue. I've bought very few SW sets at face value over the last year - I bought some of the January 2018 sets using TRU vouchers, bought three of the first wave of TLJ sets with 3 for 2 at Argos and even used £120 worth of VIP points to reduce the price of the UCS Falcon. At least I know that the Solo sets are on the whole looking pretty good!
    FizyxBumblepantsstluxbandit778MegtheCatAanchirdmcc0Onebricktoomanysid3windr
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,151
    ...I guess you can't please everyone...
    Hmm.  You're not trying hard enough.
    Bumblepantsdmcc0sonsofscevaOnebricktoomany
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,773
    gmonkey76 said:
    Did you just say sensible and LEGO in the same thread? No way can an adult collect LEGO, and be sensible. At least that what all my exes told me as they were leaving.
    And that's why they're exes.  ;)
    gmonkey76SumoLegosid3windr
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,151
    And I, for one, am independently unsensible.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    ^ Sensibly undependant?
    SumoLego
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,298
    I think I'll be moving away from Star Wars sets too, and partially that is because I didn't really enjoy The Last Jedi*, but it's mostly because I realised that I have an disproportionately large amount of grey LEGO compared with the colours I have, I also have a lot of black LEGO (from my pre-movie Batman sets), so I'd like to even things up a bit.
    I like making Mocs more than building sets when I have the time, but I do find building more relaxing so I can't see ever stopping buying sets to build.
    I'm trying not to be completist (simply because I can't afford to) or exclusive to a theme which is made easier as a consequence of stopping being completist, so, I've been picking up sets that are more colourful (or have a lot of a single colour in them) or are just nice looking sets.
    I have periods of set buying, then hold off, then do Bricklink binges, I'm always on the lookout for sets in charity shops and I'm rarely discerning about what I buy if the condition of the parts and price are good. Most notably this led to me owning 90% of #41037 (also without mini-dolls) and that was a really fun build as I had to deduce what set it was... my little girl liked it too!

* I mainly didn't want Luke to die, thought Rey was wasted and had been really looking forward to seeing both of them (and Kylo) show off impressive Jedi abilities.
    MegtheCatThe_RancorFizyx
    SumoLego said:
    ...I guess you can't please everyone...
    Hmm.  You're not trying hard enough.
    Heh, sometimes it's just worth phoning it in ;)

^ I definitely agree that Star Wars can get far too grey - and this was particularly obvious with the Last Jedi first wave. It's nice to see that some of the upcoming sets are looking far more colourful. I actually really like the idea of a white Falcon for the sake of colour variety.
    FizyxAanchir