Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

MOC newbies path

Hi All,

Since a couple of years I came back to the Lego world, and I would really learn/experiment to MOC something, especially micro scale buildings and everyday stuff.

I see lot of pages of techniques, instagram pages, etc. but I always end up being lost in front of my idea, don't know where to start from, and how to proceed.

Is there something to help the newbies to "ramp up" like a series of challenges, a good progressive tutorial or whatever?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,565
    I would say limit your parts count. It's amazing what you can do with twenty parts or less. If you want some ideas, check out this thread: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/27649/free-instructions-thread#latest
    Fizyx
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,167
    I don’t MOC much, but I do find that I start getting interesting ideas when I play around with a bunch of interesting parts, like tall roof slopes, or arches, or vehicle fenders. Also, start by trying to recreate something real, or someone else’s MOC that you admire. One of my first ones was just a copy of the first Architecture Willis Tower, but scaled up by a factor of two.

Finally, don’t worry about having a perfect plan to start with. Whatever you build, you will realize improvements you can make along the way, or you will have to move the goalposts due to limited parts.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    I’d suggest having a look at the various building contests in this part of the forum. Lots of ideas in various sizes and styles to inspire plus you can then join in when you feel confident enough.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 637
    Also, start by trying to recreate something real, or someone else’s MOC that you admire. One of my first ones was just a copy of the first Architecture Willis Tower, but scaled up by a factor of two.
    I absolutely love people who get 2 or even 3 or more copies of a set, and then build the original in a 'bigger and better' form out of the combined pieces.  Recently there was a really amazing 2x Destiny's Bounty that was quite spectacular.  I don't know if it counts as strictly MOCing, but it would certainly force you to be at least a little creative about how you build and to solve problems that MOCers often face.  I think it would be a great way to get a start on MOCing.
    Brixfan02
  • SalvoMalteseSalvoMaltese ItaliaMember Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedbacks so far, good way to reduce the entropy and starting a path!