Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Displaying Speed Champion cars in frames?

Hi. So as we all know the Speed Champion series cars look great from the side, but terrible from the front as they are all way to narrow.

So I was wondering, perhaps it would be best to display them side on. Then I started thinking, how about in a frame, like a lot of people have done with the Minifigs and Ikea Riba frames.

Does anyone know of any box frames that would be deep enough to display a SC car on side on, while also being cheap enough to justify? Also, any ideas on how best to mount the cars?

Comments

• colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 497
    not sure how wide box frames come, but i looked at some for another project, my Spurs seat from white hart lane, and deepest noncustom was about 60mm.

worth doing a google search on box frames ad storing multiple in one, and id suggest putting longer pieces stuck to the under side of the car, going into the frame at the back would be my idea looking like most were floating
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,543
    Building on that idea, you could also take the back side wheels off and use the technic pin holes to connect to something holding the cars from behind.
    colay
  • Adman1020Adman1020 UKMember Posts: 8
    colay said:
    not sure how wide box frames come, but i looked at some for another project, my Spurs seat from white hart lane, and deepest noncustom was about 60mm.

worth doing a google search on box frames ad storing multiple in one, and id suggest putting longer pieces stuck to the under side of the car, going into the frame at the back would be my idea looking like most were floating
    I should probably figure out how wide the cars are. Going custom would make this too expensive for what would be a limited display, but its good to know there are off the shelf frames up to about 60mm. Thanks
  • PisceanPetPisceanPet UKMember Posts: 33
    I'm a picture framer, and yes, if you go bespoke you can get deeper frames but as you say they will be more expensive. 
    But the other place to look is Lidl.  From time to time in their random offerings they sell collector's display cabinets.  I've seen these vary in size from wall frames with 3 or 4 shelves to quite large cabinets with 8-10 shelves and they are often 15-20cm deep.  Generally only come in light wood or white from what I have seen but even the very largest ones have only been around £60.