Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to remove red stains from LEGO pieces?

LeGoMaNiAc02LeGoMaNiAc02 USAMember Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Everything else LEGO
Hello everyone!

So, in my youth, I was very much into using red food coloring and red Sharpies to make "blood" for my minifigures. Well, now that I'm older, I realize how stupid I was a child and am wondering if there are any proven or known ways to remove specifically red food coloring/red Sharpie stains from Lego minifigures?

I know about using Expo markers to remove Sharpies, or using Hydrogen Peroxide and sunlight to whiten up yellowed bricks, but I haven't found much information about red food coloring stains on minifigures.

I would really appreciate some ideas that could possibly correct my foolish mistakes from the past!

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,680
    Sharpie can usually be wiped off with a soapy rag and hard scrubbing. I tried to customize some clones awhile back and even Sharpie kept rubbing off.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 990
    If you colour over sharpie with a whiteboard pen, it’ll lift the ‘permanent’ ink when you wipe it away.

That or it’ll ruin the piece even more...

I think the food colouring will be very hard to tackle, particularly if bleach has been unsuccessful.
  • LeGoMaNiAc02LeGoMaNiAc02 USAMember Posts: 4
    edited February 2018
    LuLego said:
    If you colour over sharpie with a whiteboard pen, it’ll lift the ‘permanent’ ink when you wipe it away.

That or it’ll ruin the piece even more...

I think the food colouring will be very hard to tackle, particularly if bleach has been unsuccessful.
    I ended up trying a combo of baking soda, dishwasher soap and hydrogen peroxide. I let it soak in there for a few hours, and I then scrubbed a little at it, and it seems to have been working, at least for my white beards.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,445
    The classic remover for “permanent“ marker like Sharpie is rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. I had a piece in a used lot recently that someone had written on. I rubbed most of it off with the alcohol, but couldn’t get it all out as some had sunk in too deep. I didn’t notice any harm to the part from the alcohol. It doesn’t have the risk of dissolving the plastic like acetone (nail polish remover).

Now, I cant say what isopropyl alcohol will do to the printing on minifigs. It might very well remove that too.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,090
    Alcohol will remove print. If they are blank figures, use it but it will make the surface feel different, but if old figures this may not be too bad.

The best thing to do is buy new figures!
    Astrobricks
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,191
    I used to use alcohol (we call it "rubbing alcohol"... and rubbing works!).  I needed some minifig heads in the pinnacles of a historic building I was making... and rubbing alcohol wiped that smile right off of Timmy's little solid stud head with some repeated rubbing!  :-O
    Astrobricks
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 403
    Unfortunately there's no good way to remove anything. The Expo-on-Sharpie only works on a white board, as the finish is designed to be wipable, and in my experience it really doesn't work very well at all anyway. There's nothing you can wipe a minifigure with that will remove sharpie and paint that won't also take off the printing. Best best is hop on Bricklink and hope the minifigs aren't too expensive.