Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Bonus Ball 17 February 2018 - Luxembourg Edition

stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,130
For some of us it's already weekend, so time for a Bonus Ball!

For anybody new to this: it's simple. Answer the question below, and get a number based on your post in order between 1 and 59. If your number gets drawn on Saturday night for the UK national lottery bonus ball you win the prize. If you don't make the first 59 replies, well there's always next week to be a little quicker. 

What's the prize this week, you ask? Up for grabs is a choice between a #40308 Lester and #5005233 Hamleys Royal Guard. If the winner already has both or simply doesn't fancy either, I'm sure I can dig out something else!

So, on to this week's question:

As an AFOL, you sometimes have a chance to meet a Lego Designer (Inside Tour/set signing event/...). A designer for which theme would you like to meet most? And what would you ask them? 
Hoping to not see endless variations of  "When will TLG bring back Classic Castle/Space/a monorail?" ;)

Don't forget, we are always looking for draw hosts. So if you'd like to volunteer please drop @snowhitie a PM.
BumblepantsMr_CrossSirBenFowlerBricksvizzitorLego_StarkezSeijiAmasawaMrJ_NYricecakeSumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRAGothamConstructionCoBricklover18donutboykiki180703legomattIceCreamClone

Comments

• SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 404
    Definitely Jamie Berard, and I would ask him which modular building of his is his favourite.
    vizzitorSumoLegosnowhitie
  • sukhsukh Member Posts: 142
    I’d say Jamie as well and I would ask him what modular he would like to design but Lego wouldn’t approve 
    vizzitorLego_Stargmonkey76snowhitie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,592
    I would like to meet @LEGO_Nabii sometime. I like his designs even though the themes he works on are usually more favored by my kids. (Nexo, Chima etc) I would ask him how he works in the play features/functions into his designs. 
    stluxLego_Starcatwrangler
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,778
    I don't know the names, but someone who does the SW UCS line, and ask them when we'll get a UCS AT-AT.
    vizzitor
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 928
    edited February 2018
    I'd like to meet one of the Creator 3in1 designers over a beer and ask them who their favourite band is.
    Thanks for hosting!
    stluxvizzitorLego_Star
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 548
    Milan Reindl, I'd like to ask how much of Technic set designing is done hands-on with pieces and how much is done on a computer.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,579
    I honestly don't know the names of any of the designers, but I'd love to meet the designers of the Marvel stuff. I would ask how they choose which minifigures get made and how.
    vizzitor
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,388
    I'm in the know-no-names camp as well, but as the Winter Village theme is among my favorite, I'd be interested in having a conversation with one of those designers. I think I'd most like to know their process for going about creating a new set, how they draw their inspiration, and what sets have been considered in years past. 
    gmonkey76
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 216
    Thanks for organising this @stlux.

I don't know many of the names either but looking at Jamie Berard's list of sets, there's a lot in there I've marvelled at when building. Not being very talkative in real life, especially to people I don't know, I think I'd just say thanks and then apologise for bothering him.
    stluxMAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitieSalamalex
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 315
    I'd also pick Jamie Berard. I'd ask him to please design a building using a wide variety of Sand Red parts.
    pookieMAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitie
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Jamie,  I'd like to ask him his salary.
    Switchfoot55
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    Not sure if they've ever been named, but I would love to talk to the people behind the monster fighter range. The sets are amazing, especially the haunted house. I would love to ask them if there were any ideas they had that didn't make it into the final line up. :)
    gmonkey76catwrangler
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I would like to go back in time and meet the original designers/creators myself.  
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 254
    One of the 3 in 1 designers. I’d like to know how much work has to go into creating all 3 models from one pool of parts.
    stlux
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,025
    One of the Elves designers & ask them if they wanted to go more indepth on a subtheme
    Salamalex
  • toftof Member Posts: 147
    The LOTR designers to see if they were planning Minas Tirith and LEGO canned it.
    FowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 678
    Someone who works on the Batman line and ask about all of the characters we haven't seen, especially those who have been represented in a Lego format (Solomon Grundy, Scarface, Ventriloquist, Firefly, etc.).
    Bumblepants
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    I would love to have been able to meet David Lyall in the 70's or 80's and asked him what he thought Lego may build in the future.
    stluxMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    Mel Caddick, Creator (among other positions at TLG).  I Haven't seen Mel in nearly twenty years and it's always nice to catch up with someone who's gone on to land their dream job.  I'd also like to get the story behind the Aussie number plates on both the Mini and the Beetle (which includes plates from our home state) and what other Aussie centric 'Easter Eggs' I've missed in her work.
    Lego_Star
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 684
    edited February 2018
    Monster Fighter dude..to ask the Monster Fighter dude about possible future Monster Fighters....Duuuude
    FowlerBricksToc13
  • daniellelego82daniellelego82 Manchester, UKMember Posts: 37
    I would ask a technic designer when they are going to do a bigger plane than the cargo one 
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,161
    Anyone who would know why there hasn't been a lego historical theme I.e Roman theme with Roman buildings, characters, armies, etc..They have the figures in the cmf line but why not an entire theme based on it?
    Pebblessnowhitiecatwrangler
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    kwkw said:
    Anyone who would know why there hasn't been a lego historical theme I.e Roman theme with Roman buildings, characters, armies, etc..They have the figures in the cmf line but why not an entire theme based on it?
    Oww I like this question, can you imagine how amazing some of the historical landmarks would be in Lego form. I know Playmobil do a Roman Colosseum and even the Pyramids / Sphinx and these are quite sort after by students and adults alike. :)

catwrangler
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 347
    Modular buildings - how do you decide which building to design next? Will the series keep designing more and more modern style buildings? 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    I'd like to meet whoever designed Good Guy and give 'em the biggest hug possible
    Lego_Starstlux
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,410
    The designer for the UCS MF. My question. .... can I have all your lego!!
    FowlerBricks
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    Any of the technic flagship designers. I'd ask them how they go about managing to pack so much complexity into such a small space!
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,394
    Alexandre Boudon and does he feel he had lived up to the potential of all those great CMF he designed as pat of his application.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 818
    Marcos Bessa, I would ask him for an insight into his personal design techniques and an autograph :-D
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 229
    Jamie Berard and where does he draw inspiration from. How does he come up new creative ways of using parts?
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 209
    I’ve always liked Marcos Bessa’s sets quite a bit; he seems to enjoy combining both looks and play features without compromising one for the other.
  • MextenMexten MexicoMember Posts: 58
    He is not a designer, but I would like to meet Jørgen Vig Knudstorp and ask him about his favorite Lego sets.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 212
    My main Lego themes right now are Architecture and Technic. I’d ask how they decide what vehicle/structure gets a set. And if they ever get tired of designing helicopters. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    I would like to ask the designer of culinary arts if there are plans to release a UCS Sausage or Build-a-Sausage set
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 341
    As mentioned earlier, I'd like to pick the brain of someone working on the 3-in-1 line and find out how the process begins for designing those sets. I don't really collect those as much as other themes, but the ones I have (like Blue Power Jet) are just fantastic. 
    snowhitiestlux
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I would like to ask the designers of the Ninjago mechs if they considered making a big combiner mech, like the upcoming Voltron set.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    edited February 2018
    Jamie Berard - if anything - to find out if he drinks 23 cups of coffee a day or mainlines Red Bull to have such energy in all of the things he does.  That can't be natural.

Are there such things as Enthusiasm Pills?
    stluxsnowhitieSalamalexGothamConstructionCo
  • khopewosinkhopewosin Member Posts: 86
    Mel Caddick. Why are you guys always on holiday? 
    Lego_Star
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 664
    I'd ask Marcos Bessa about all the things that were designed but never put into production.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 441
    Whoever is responsible for licensed Creator vehicles - what's next???
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    Don't know any designers (expect Jamie) but here are some questions I'd ask:

1. What will be the first 10k piece/$1000.00 Lego set?
    2. Can we break out of the 32x32 baseplate size for the Modular line? 
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,921
    Great question @stlux and thanks for hosting.

I would have liked to have met Daniel Krentz, designer of Yellow Castle and the original AFOL. I'd have thanked him for all the joy he brought (and somehow still brings to me) with his design of yellow castle and then I'd have asked him to tell me any LEGO story or stories he wanted to tell. :o)

I've been incredibly lucky to meet a fair few designers and also Kjeld last year. I found that listening to them tell stories about their LEGO experiences unprompted is a magical, wonderful thing. I learned that whilst I would often wish I'd asked this question or that question that really many of the interesting, insightful things I have heard them say are when I didn't ask a thing! :o)

It's a fun thing too to meet a group of designers together especially since the camaraderie between them is very strong. :o)
    snowhitiestluxricecakecatwrangler
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 285
    I would like to meet the designer which was responsible for the Model Team range and I would ask him which vehicle he wants to do again and why (because of new molds, or colors, or technique).
    Lego_Starcatwrangler
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 279
    Maybe a city designer and ask them why they don't have a better variety of buildings that you actually find in a city.
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 331
    Pirates!!! Please do a proper, multiple wave, pirates theme. With 3 ships, red coats, blue coats and pirates.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    @stlux thanks for hosting!

I'd like to meet any designer involved with either the Architecture line, or the designer involved with the store grand opening exclusive models from years ago.

I don't have a specific question to ask, but would love to sit and have a cup of coffee with them.
    snowhitie
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 586
    I would like to meet a designer for the toy story theme and ask them where its been.
    Also I'd beg them to stay away from Juniors for the fourth movie
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 475
    I'd ask the minifig designers when the dual-molding is coming to the Star Wars theme!
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    Thanks for hosting @stlux. Good question about questions!

I think I'd mostly just want to listen to their story and see if they've got some good tips for out-of-the box MOCing. I'd like to know from designers in general what their favourite set is that another person has designed.

And my son next to me wants their autograph.
    stluxLego_Star
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 273
    Whoever I met I’d be too toungtied to ask anything.