Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

UCS Death star

I've been saving for a good three months in order to acquire the "UCS death star" that came out in 2016.
you know...the one they want 100$ more for 20 more parts than the last one.
well...I got all set with the 500$ it's going to cost me and.......
I forgot all about sales tax.
I ALREADY don't want to pay 500$ (which is just the reality of it if you want one)
for this thing and I certainly, don't want to shell out another 30$.
there is nothing on eBay right now.
does anyone know of somewhere else I can get it without spending any more unnecessary money?
MegtheCat

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    I'd be happy to sell you a used 10188 complete for $350.00. PM me if interested. 
    Mr_CrossmadforLEGOBuriedinBricks
  • dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 133
    Im looking for a new copy.
    but thank you anyway. :) 
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    edited February 2018
    ecmo47 said:
    I'd be happy to sell you a used 10188 complete for $350.00. PM me if interested. 
    Im looking for a new copy.
    but thank you anyway. :) 
    @dragologer

I don't think it's going to get much better than that. 

Let me rephrase.

I know it's not going to get better than that. Not sure what other offers/advice you can possibly be looking to get beyond that good offer. Uncle Sam is going to get his portion.
    madforLEGOPitfall69SprinkleOtter
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    Get a target red debit card. Will save you 5% at checheck. Thats a $25 savings right there. Look for discounted gift cards to save as well. If you're not in a hurry I'm sure you can save at least some on the purchase.
    FizyxPitfall69
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    DS was 20% off just before christmas. If you can wait till december you might ne able to get it cheaper.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 366
    arathemis said:
    DS was 20% off just before christmas. If you can wait till december you might ne able to get it cheaper.
    That was outside the US. As someone that's also been waiting to get one, I've been looking for a deal too. I was bummed when they didn't extend those same Black Friday offers US customers, but oh well.  
    edited February 2018
    That said, I agree on waiting. If these Cloud City rumors are true, the Death Star *may* be on the way out. Possible they may drop the price a bit to move it out. I can always be wrong, but I don't see them having 3 $500+ UCS sets on the shelf at the same time. Wouldn't hurt to wait a bit to see what they do. 
  • JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,372
    Dirt Cheap, (Essex) Bargain Hunt. I haven't heard of anyone finding a new Death Star but a friend got a 10188 for $260 a good while ago.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 483
    A good way to buy this kind of set is to wait for double points and get it from [email protected], perhaps combined with a nice gift with purchase freebie. Buying online also allows you to use a Discover card (for example) and get 5% cash back.

That’s $50 for future purchase at Lego, $25 cash back from discover and a free set. Worth a bit more than the tax!
    MegtheCat
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 858
    I’m going to offer another opinion, which is that if the additional sales tax is that much of a burden, then perhaps there are more prudent ways to spend (or save) your hard-earned money. 
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76MegtheCatMugenPowerAstrobricks
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Go to the Lego store in Delaware. No sales tax there, but you would probably spend more traveling than sales tax would be depending on where you are coming from. 
    madforLEGO
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    Maybe wait until May 4th - always good deals on SW stuff around that time - if you get a 10% off then that'll negate the sales tax for you.
    mr_benn said:
    Maybe wait until May 4th - always good deals on SW stuff around that time - if you get a 10% off then that'll negate the sales tax for you.
    that's an idea. :)
    FowlerBrickswaynlewis
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,208
    edited February 2018
    mr_benn said:
    that's an idea. :)
    like @bluedragon says, wait for a VIP double points event, or like @HokieJoe99 says go to a state without Sales tax (if you are close enough to do so).

Bottom line for me is if you are ready to fork over 500 for a set, then sales tax should not bother you.
    BillyBricks84flord

Bottom line for me is if you are ready to fork over 500 for a set, then sales tax should not bother you.
    LOL! it will bother me if I don't actually have any extra for sales tax! :) 
    But thank you all anyway. I finally found one today for the price I needed.
    FowlerBricks
    Mind if I ask where?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    kbw said:
    ...the Death Star *may* be on the way out...
    No chance.
    Give or take a decade.  At what point can we consider the DS an 'evergreen' set?
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 647
    SumoLego said:
    kbw said:
    ...the Death Star *may* be on the way out...
    No chance.
    Give or take a decade.  At what point can we consider the DS an 'evergreen' set?

I think after this one sticks around for 8 or so years, and then gets a 'new' release with 15 more pieces and a $50 price hike, then it'll be safe to assign it the evergreen label.
    SumoLego
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Put a feeler out on Brickpicker.com  No doubt there are a few there that have multiples of the original 10188 who would like to get rid of it at cost.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 442
    kbw said:
    That said, I agree on waiting. If these Cloud City rumors are true, the Death Star *may* be on the way out.
    No chance.
    Agree there is very little chance of this, but I notice retiringsets.com have the Death Star as high risk of retirement in 2018?

https://retiringsets.com/lego-retiring-soon/

Dont think there is any info to back this up, but interesting ....
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    ^Poaaibly an algorithmic calculation? If it WASN'T the Death Star then it would have a high probability of retiring this year.  I see they also list Tower Bridge in the same category...
    madforLEGOstlux
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    There should probably be a 'zombie' factor in that algorithm.  VW Camper Van, Mini Cooper, Tower Bridge...

I get that the Ferrari didn't (probably) sell well, but it's the only vehicle to retire in the Creator line!
    Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    SumoLego said:
    VW Camper Van, Mini Cooper, Tower Bridge...

I get that the Ferrari didn't (probably) sell well, but it's the only vehicle to retire in the Creator line!
    The have all retired, but northern Europeans just go on working way past their retirement date. :-)

Fizyx
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    Lepin? :D
    FollowsClosely
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    my local retailer's website says they will have stock of #75159 coming next month. does this seem odd to anyone else?
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,720
    I'm willing to part with a 10188's for $400. Shipping would be decent unboxed, too.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    blokey9 said:
    my local retailer's website says they will have stock of #75159 coming next month. does this seem odd to anyone else?
    Not really. It is a current retail set that is not exclusive to [email protected]
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,338
    I'm curious why this thread was resurrected; did the OP ever buy his Death Star? It's been nearly a year since he posted.
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    Pitfall69 said:
    I'm curious why this thread was resurrected; did the OP ever buy his Death Star? It's been nearly a year since he posted.

i was looking for an appropriate thread to raise a question regarding this set.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,720
    Pitfall69 said:
    Ah, bugger, I didn't realize someone had kicked an old thread out of the grave...
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,227
    Pitfall69 said:
    Ah, bugger, I didn't realize someone had kicked an old thread out of the grave...
    Welcome to the Zombie Thread Resurrection Society :)