Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Monthly Building Contest - February 18 - Not upright

MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
February has certainly come around quick!

I'd completely forgotten that I was in charge of February - so thanks @snowhitie for reminding me...

The challenge:
You can build anything (within reason!) that uses legitimate techniques that doesn't have bricks or pieces facing upright. That's right. Throw out your guide books and SNOT away!

The rules:
- Your model should be newly built for this contest.
- Please only post 1 or 2 pictures of your entry so as to keep the thread loading reasonably well.
- Your model should consist of no more than 50 parts (a plain minifig of legs/torso/head counts as 3)
- Entries accepted until midnight on 28th February, GMT time

The prize:
I have a range of items (including Lesters and Hamley's Royal Guard fig polys!) ... or you can opt for the special MYSTERY PRIZE! 

If you have any questions, please just ask.

Now, off you go!
snowhitiethe_creative_boxPebblesstluxFowlerBricksricecakeGothamConstructionCocatwranglerMynattmak0137SirBenvizzitor

Comments

• PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    This is probably a daft question but when you say

"doesn't have bricks or pieces facing upright."

Does this mean I can turn the model upside down? So if I got a regular base plate and turn it upside down I could build downwards?

Still fairly new to MOCing and I don't think i've ever built something the wrong way up before. :) I'm probably overthinking it and it's easier than it sounds :D
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    This is probably a daft question but when you say

"doesn't have bricks or pieces facing upright."

Does this mean I can turn the model upside down? So if I got a regular base plate and turn it upside down I could build downwards?

Still fairly new to MOCing and I don't think i've ever built something the wrong way up before. :) I'm probably overthinking it and it's easier than it sounds :D
    Theoretically you could just build a model with the pieces upside down, but you won't get points for creativity :)

I should point out that I'll allow some lee-way for a plate and maybe some tiles/plates/jumpers to enable snot (e.g. a plate for a headlight brick and a tile behind it) but obviously that reduces parts for other areas...
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173

Theoretically you could just build a model with the pieces upside down, but you won't get points for creativity :)

I should point out that I'll allow some lee-way for a plate and maybe some tiles/plates/jumpers to enable snot (e.g. a plate for a headlight brick and a tile behind it) but obviously that reduces parts for other areas...
    Thank you, I think this might be a bit of a tricky one. I can't wait to see what others come up with, hopefully it will inspire me to jump outside my comfort zone :D
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,566
    Ok, I'm confused. We can't have any pieces facing upright or we can't have studs facing upright? Even when building SNOT, you have to have at least one upright piece inside plus tiles on top to smooth it out.
    Bumblepantsmafon
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 404
    Colour me confused as well. Can we have some clarification please?
    BrickByBrickFowlerBricksmafon
    Well, I'm still a bit confused but an idea is brewing nonetheless! 
    BrickByBrick
    So what do we do when we want to use ball joints? They're never really upright or upside down.
    Here is my first attempt at an entry that fits my interpretation of the rules. Please correct me if I did something wrong. I wasn't sure if having a bracket sideways to get studs upright was allowed, so I just went ahead and did it. The little soldier needed a spot to stand on his fortress. The fortress features the aforementioned spot for the nano-soldier opening/closing doors and exactly 50 parts (including the nano-fig).

cmrt1014catwranglerBumblepantsTheOriginalSimonBricecakesid3windrMattDawsonvizzitor
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    edited February 2018
    I think FowlerBricks is disqualified for upright minifigs connected to upwards facing studs. 

I don't think upwards facing studs is a problem, but you connected to them, which probably is.
    I think FowlerBricks is disqualified for upright minifigs connected to upwards facing studs. 

I don't think upwards facing studs is a problem, but you connected to them, which probably is.
    Did @MattDawson want upside down/sideways minifigs too??
    Harrymattpotter
    I have an alternate way to attach the minifigure in the mech, so I'll do that just to fit the rules better.
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 216
    To solve any confusion, let me (mis)quote The Simpsons:
    The pieces must be forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
    catwranglersid3windrMattDawsonricecakeFowlerBricks
    Nah, I'll allow upright minifigs. They're not all drunk you know!

And the rules were towards parts not being upright - studs facing upwards is fine but I'm trying to make you innovate with parts... ;)
    catwranglerFowlerBricks
    So I'm not disqualified? 
    MattDawson
    It is probably obvious by now, but thanks to the December building contest and the small size of my random parts bin I've fallen in love with building in micro scale, especially building a micro versions of existing sets. Following that theme, I present the Mini-Claw Tank! (you can thank Jangbricks for the Mars Mission theme. I just recently watched all his Mars Mission reviews so it's on my mind). The Claw Tank is fully poseable (possibly even surpassing the large version) and can actually roll! The full album of renders can be found here.

ricecakecmrt1014BumblepantsvizzitorAstrobricksBrickByBrickthe_creative_boxcatwranglerGothamConstructionCo
    Apologies, but I’m still really lost? We can have studs facing upward, but parts can’t be upright?
    mafon
    Apologies, but I’m still really lost? We can have studs facing upward, but parts can’t be upright?
    Yes, so you can have a couple brackets turned awkward ways to get studs upright.
    10 more days (11 including today) to get your entries in!
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,244
    I have started on mine now!
    Hmm...another idea is brewing. Hopefully I can find time to make it a reality!
    @TheOriginalSimonB does that model consist of more than 50 pieces (rule 3)?
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,244
    Oh, I forgot about that rule! Oops. 
    snowhitie
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    Great. Now I’m thirsty.
    FowlerBricks
    Great. Now I’m thirsty.
    For no-sugar Lemonade?
    Ignore that dumb Freshly link. I don't know why it's there.
    What is that piece on the front? I’ve never seen it before.
    The pole/stud thing? It's a new piece. It comes on Ninjago city.
    Astrobricks
    The pole/stud thing? It's a new piece. It comes on Ninjago city.
    Ahh, this one then 
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=32828&in=S
    I have some of those sets, but haven’t built any of them yet.
    FowlerBricks
    Last 2 days folks! :)
    FowlerBricks
  • MiniBricks1MiniBricks1 USMember Posts: 96
    Here is my entry- a small space ship. It was a fun challenge building it upside down!

(it contains 49 pieces, cut it a bit close! ;) )

Bumblepantsricecakestluxcatwranglerthe_creative_boxsid3windrsnowhitieGothamConstructionComafon
    Well the entry period is over with, and with today off work (they're not opening) I should be able to review all of the entries and come up with a decision...
    BumblepantsFowlerBricksthe_creative_box
    No winner yet?
    I'd actually looked at them but forgot to post! /insert banging head into wall gif here/

@FowlerBricks ;is the winner with only 2 valid competitor entries into the competition from @MiniBricks and @Astrobricks. The caterpillar was an intriguing take on minimalistic parts variety and the space ship had some good parts use, such as the towball hinges for the wings.

Commiserations to @TheOriginalSimonB for a nice build, but invalid entry due to the parts count.

I presume the difficult nature (combined with the short time frame) meant few were willing to partake, so I know not to see the bar quite this high next time... ;)
    BumblepantssnowhitieFowlerBricksstluxricecakesid3windrGothamConstructionCo
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    Yeah I intended to make something but I was too busy with travel and work things to spend anytime on it
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,780
    Me too, but it was a good idea to think outside of the box!
    I'd actually looked at them but forgot to post! /insert banging head into wall gif here/

@FowlerBricks ;is the winner with only 2 valid competitor entries into the competition from @MiniBricks and @Astrobricks. The caterpillar was an intriguing take on minimalistic parts variety and the space ship had some good parts use, such as the towball hinges for the wings.

Commiserations to @TheOriginalSimonB for a nice build, but invalid entry due to the parts count.

I presume the difficult nature (combined with the short time frame) meant few were willing to partake, so I know not to see the bar quite this high next time... ;)
    So which of @FowlerBricks entries was the winner?
    BrickByBrickFowlerBricks
    I'd like to know that myself. :)
    @MattDawson: did you pick a specific one of my entries to win or did all of them win?
    @FowlerBricks it was actually the ship. Excellent shaping for the scale, and the 2 masts work really well. 

If I was going to nit pick there should be a mast at the front between the bow and the first mast, and maybe some more colour in places would help (that said, most ships would look quite dull in colour at that scale!)
    FowlerBricks
    ^I considered adding another mast, but it made the ship look too cramped.
    MattDawson
    Congratulations on the win @FowlerBricks.

Let’s hope you don’t try to sell the prize again..!
    FowlerBricks
    ^I'm not planning to as of right now. ;)
    The Mystery Prize has arrived and it was definitely the right choice! It consisted of #41600 Aquaman who has an amazing mustache and #60150 Pizza Van which I have heard a lot of good things about. Time to build! A big thanks to @MattDawson for hosting this unique and challenging contest!
    MattDawson