What's more economical? Buying set or parts?

JarakinJarakin Member Posts: 81
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi guys, apologies if this is the wrong forum, it's my first time here so please go easy!

I've been setting up my brickset account of late with sets I have/want, and the sets I'd like are estimated to come to the princely sum of £2000, ouch! This got me to thinking, is it possible to just purchase pieces for models from a site like spareblocks cheaper than it'd be to buy the set itself? I'd imagine this'd be the case for discontinued/harder to find models, but not so much current kits... Alternatively, are there any larger sets that are worth buying purely for pieces to use in creating other sets/MoC's?

So, has anyone done this and made good savings? I'm pretty much purely interested in Star Wars, are there any sets that'd be worth using this method for in particular?

Thanks guys!

-J

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Hi Jarakin, welcome to the forum! It is very scary when you see that wishlist total isn't it?

I haven't ever bought parts for a set separately but the place to go is bricklink.com. They have inventories of the parts that are included in sets, you can add the parts you want to a shopping list, and then find sellers who have some/all the parts you need. As I said, I haven't done this so no idea if it's cheaper. I guess it depends on the set, its status (available/discontinued) and the parts in question. Lots of folk on here have their own bricklink stores and many people buy from there, so someone far more knowledgeable than me will be able to give you a more detailed answer. But hopefully this will give you a place to start.

As for buying sets for MOC parts, well that will depend on what you want to MOC. If you want to do Star Wars MOCs then you probably wouldn't be buying Friends sets :-)
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Another option is to look on Bricklink for incomplete sets. If you truly only want the building/vehicle/parts in a set and not the minifigs, then look for sellers (like me btw) that sell sets without minifigs. Or buy a set and sell the minifigs yourself. This is a great way to get parts for cheap.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Bricklink is definitely the place to go. I have pieced together a few sets, and it ends up being as expensive or more expensive than buying a new or used set.

A big chunk of the cost is in the shipping costs. If you're in the States, that shouldn't be a problem, but I'm in New Zealand and ended up costing a bomb. If you can get all the parts you need from 1 or 2 sellers, then you might be able to piece together the set cheaper.

While I don't own many, the Creator sets are great value for MOC parts. Just take a look at what kind of colours you need and find a set that suits. eg - the Hillside house has quite a few white bricks for the walls, tan windows and red slopes for the roof. Also has some very large light grey and green plates, which would be handy for floors or landscaping.