It is my pleasure to bring you the Bonusball Bonanza this week.
My son and I really like the 3in1 creator sets, and have enjoyed building a fair few of them. So, the idea for this week is very simply this: your job is to conceive of a 3in1 set. No limits, other than your imagination, the three models could also be from a theme other than creator.
As an example and to try to convey the concept, mine would be called #918
,918,918! Classic Space Mania (and would be known by AFOLs worldwide as 'the (neo?) classic space, trans yellow, blue and light bluish grey parts pack').
- Main model: one man spaceship (but with a buggy) slightly updating #918 and featuring a dark red classic spaceman, a dark bluish grey classic spaceman and a minifig scale robot.
- Second model: a moon rover and lab kind of updating #6927
- Third model: a Lamborghini Countach, just because I used to try to build a blue one using parts from #918 & #6927 when I was a boy. It was pretty poor if I recall correctly.
Hopefully that makes sense.
In keeping with the three in one theme, there will be three prizes and three winners.
As usual, post your comment, first 59 answers get a number. If your number is then drawn this weekend as the UK national lottery bonus ball, then you win. Open worldwide.
- Matching the Bonusball will win #30051 mini X-wing
- My son's favourite idea will win #7799 cargo copter
- My favourite idea will win # 30003 road roller
1st model: standard G-wagen
2nd model: G500 4x4^2
3rd model: G63 AMG 6x6
Or maybe reverse the order since the "coolest" model is usually the main model.
1. Steam Locomotive with tender
2. Passenger Wagon/Caboose
3. Freight Wagon
AKA the Train Parts Pack in green and brown
1. Great Wall of China segment
2. Taj Mahal (a portion of ?)
Thank you very much @Mr_Cross for hosting a wonderful thought provoking contest.
1. Red post box
2. Red phone box
3. Red double decker bus
Makar/top of Great Deku Tree
1 - Batmobile
2 - Avengers Quinjet
3 - TIE Fighter
Black, dark blue and Grey pieces.
I would go for 3 classic children’s vehicles:
1) Postman Pat’s van
2) Fireman Sam’s fire engine
3) Thomas the Tank Engine (maybe James to continue the red theme)
1. A van, to take home the hoard
2. A post box, to post the sold sets
3. A money box, to store the $$$$$ from Little Timmy's parents
1. Boxcar with some sort of freight to load and functioning doors.
2. Flat car with the other parts making a crane or loading platform
3. Freight locomotive with additional instructions to add power functions if desired.
1. A lego shop with enclosed back (Not the silly models they have at the moment) and detailed interior with shelves/boxes/a small display.
2. A collector`s lego room, with full details of a small lego setup, lego boxes storage, Lego display cabinets etc.
3. A lego exposition event: again with a lot of small displays arranged on tables/shelves in a large open back room. There could also be a small lego selling booth where the lego boxes could be displayed.
1. Formula-1/IndyCar type race car
2. Prototype type race car (think IMSA DPi or LMP1 or LMP2)
3. NASCAR type race car
I know there have been sets in the past based around race cars, but I don't recall one being able to capture all three distinctly in a single set.
1. Lovely flower
2. A thorny rose
3. A venus flytrap
Should be feasible in practice (greens reds and browns, claws/horns can be used for 2/3 or maybe all three)
The main model would be a classic rhomboid WW1 British Mark IV tank.
Then the other builds would be a WW2 Cromwell tank, and a modern Challenger 2. There's plenty of scope to reuse the tracks and wheels across builds, and most of the other parts can be dark green. Size would be dictated by the tracks, so it would probably end up being about £90-£120.
But above all, it's an excuse to include lots of track parts :)
2. College/professional team logos
3. Local landmarks
Main model is an Imperial Outpost.
Second is a small Imperial war ship.
Third is a small Pirate vessel.
Build one would be the clock tower and the Delorean which can be switched into the second movie version just like the existing #21103, but the hood is redesigned to look smoother
Build 2 would be the 1885 clock tower and 1885 Delorean
Build 3 would be the Twin/Lone Pines mall and Doc Brown's Van
I'd buy 6 of them...
How about a Marvel 3-in-1
Main build - Hulkbuster mech
2nd build - Lola
3rd Build - Hawkeye's 1970 Dodge Challenger
World rally car (subaru Sti styled)
Baja 1000 trophy truck / open wheel
Main build - European Badger
2nd build - Honey Badger
3rd build - Marsh Badger
Prof. Pat Pending's car from Wacky Races with the variations being models B & C
(My other thought was a red & blue set- a bird, a plane......)
I too love the 3 in 1 sets and I think it would be well cool to make three very different things, with very different set-up and techniques.
First, A modular building, a school, the outside could have quite dark colour-scheme, like earth red so you can use the pieces to make a big Old Jaguar, preferably the one that Morse drives.
And to conclude a beautiful red panda.
3. Chicken omelette
I would go for something that would suit all ages / bring families together so
1) Telephone box
2) Rotary phone
3) Mobile phone
I think a set like that would be fun and a great nod to history. :)
I'd like to see a 3 in 1 set with:
1. A hotdog suit mech.
2. A kind of sausagemobile with two domes; one for the driver, the other for passengers. Like the car Homer designed.
3. With the round and curved pieces, there should be enough to make two old fashioned, one-seater, cartoonish UFOs. Hopefully one tan and one red so there can be a 50's B movie style battle.
1. Siege Engine(Trebuchet or Mangonel)
2. Small Keep
2. High castle wall
3. Lookout tower
Make them modular and you could keep buying them to bulk up and customize your own castle or town.
2. Pirate fort
3. Ship wreck
1. A dragon with red and yellow wings
2. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
3. A fairground ride of own design (must include dragon wings and wheels)
2. Minas Tirith
I know you need to be very imaginative on whether this is even possible :)
1. The letter Z.
2. The number 4.
3. The letter Q (which should be built, taken apart, and built again, then taken apart, then built again).
4. BONUS! MOC option is a Batman symbol.
"Realistically", I'd like to see:
1. Mr. Freeze bust. (My favorite Batman villain.)
2. Small scale robot shooting laser beams out of hands or something neat like that.
3. Kitty cat with a mouse hanging from it's paw.
(Apparently I'm a little slaphappy from being overtired.)
2. A carriage
3. Something to ram the castle gates
2. Fighter Plane
1. Tesla model S
2. Tesla model X
3. Tesla model 3
bonus Tesla roadster
1. Classic OT TIE from ANH
2. TIE Bomber from ESB
3. TIE Interceptor from RTJ
That would be my dream set, especially since it would have 1 option from each movie!
1 tie interceptor
2 some kind of mech or walker
3. Imperial speeder
1. Dean's Impala from Supernatural
2. K.I.T.T from Knight Rider
3. B.A's Van from the A-Team
Classic space model with space mini figure
Castle model with castle mini figure
City model with city mini figure
Brick colors will be predominantly grey, black, blue, brown and red for models. Mini figures will be unique.
5-in 3-in-1 Grail Quest
* Castle Aargh (with French knights and cow-tapult) MoooOOOOOoooo!!!
* Siege Rabbit/Badger
* Mysterious Dragon ship (with camera crew and police van)
* Forest Which NONE SHALL PASS (with fish to fell largest tree - play feature!)
* Cave monster (with rabbit, enchanted exploding rocks, and holy grenade)
I would like a 2001: A Space Odyssey themed set.
1. Apes gathering around the Black Obelisk discovering tools.
2. The EVA Pod with Bowman at the controls, remonstrating with HAL to open the pod bay doors.
3. The Star Child floating above the earth.
I could easily think of many iconic scenes from the film so narrowing it down to just 3 is next to impossible for me.