Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EXPIRED: [US] Target Clearance (In-Store / YMMV)

Comments

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    edited January 2012
    How would folks suggest handling series 5 minifigures that are ringing up at 1.19 when you can clearly see a higher 70% off clearance sticker underneath at 39 cents. Seems it was at 70% and is now at 50%. Do I just peel off the latest sticker and try to get 70%? Odd. Interested in the dwarves and gladiators.

You bring it up to the manager and haggle. If the price scanner scans it @ $1.19, you pay $1.19.

I myself was able to grab 9 of the series 5 MFC for $1.48 each. Someone had slash a few of these sets, I left those behind.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    what is YMMV and can you add it to the acronym list? :)
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Lulwut, it was 1.48 here as well not 1.19. My bad. Yeah, I didn't really understand the visibility of a 70% sticker below a lower 50%. I'll try to persuade.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    found an HP "the lab" today. A bit shocked, but a few have shown up at the registers in Miami. Anyway, the item is no longer listed in the system - ie, the holiday items that had been marked down 90% were no longer in the system tonight. A clear conversation with the checkout person, stating it was part of the Christmas items, and they punched the .39 cents in.

I'm only mentioning this find, though, because it looks like a portion of the holiday pricing is now off the books... and yet the advent calendars at my store are still only 15% off (shakes head and ask yoda santa to use the force on the pricing).
    What happened is Christmas merchandise is now "salvage" merchandise. It gets wiped completely from Target's register system and will ring up "Price + Tax." At that point, you will have wildly varying experiences. Some cashiers will type in 1 cent, and others will refuse to sell the item.

If you have previously purchased the same item and know what the price should be, tell the cashier that, and you will *usually* get the item.

Brent

• malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
    Is it possible that some of the items that are "salvaged" get sent so some Target warehouse and put back on Target.com? I recall that with the Toy Story Pizza Planet set, earlier in the year it was discounted both on-line and in-store. Eventually it disappeared it seemed from both. Then it reappeared at full price on the website. Only recently in December did it go back down and disappear again.
    I suppose it's possible. I would guess it's more likely that they just found stock of the item in the warehouse.

Generally, salvaged items are donated to charity (Goodwill) or sold to re-sellers for a fraction of the price. (Fun fact... part of the reason they drop out of Target's register system is because before the item is donated, it is marked back up to full price, so they can claim the highest tax deduction/amount of donation.)

Brent
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    I stopped by two local Targets this morning. There is still a healthy selection of clearance sets, mostly Ninjago, Atlantis, some Star Wars, and Pharoahs Quest. Most sets were between 15-30% off. Atlantis was at 50% off.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    what is YMMV and can you add it to the acronym list? :)
    I believe it's already there, Si. :o)

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,932
    Is YMMV= Your Market May Vary?
  • Little3piggiesLittle3piggies Member Posts: 40
    How would folks suggest handling series 5 minifigures that are ringing up at 1.19 when you can clearly see a higher 70% off clearance sticker underneath at 39 cents. Seems it was at 70% and is now at 50%. Do I just peel off the latest sticker and try to get 70%? Odd. Interested in the dwarves and gladiators.

For an item to be $.39 at 70% off, it would have originally cost around $1.32 full price, which would not lead it to be $1.19 at ANY discount... Those minifigs were $2.99 full price, then went to (15% off) $2.54, then most likely (30% off) $2.09, then finally $1.49... There is never ever a 90% red clearance tag put on any item, as only holiday goes to 90% and is not stickered. So even tho, for example, the HP poly bags were $.39, you would never find one marked $.39 with a clearance sticker.

And Brent, i'll send you a stash of Legos when you show me your 4 clearance stickers stacked over each other! ;-D
    If I manage to get these at the stickered .39 cents tomorrow I will post the pic of the stickers. ;)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Been scouting a lot of Targets over the past few weeks so I would know where to go this week. Only one target had much to choose from. Most were just Atlantis, Pharaoh, Cars, SW Advents and Wampas here and there.

I have found some HP and PotC sets here and there already discounted last few weeks but none of the Targets have them as part of the clearance otherwise. Most Targets here still have The Mill and other smaller PotC sets at full price.

So now I've been to I don't know how many Targets and Walmarts from LA to San Diego these past few weeks -- never been bothered by my purchases. Really never even raises an eyebrow when I walk out with full baskets. Then I go into this Target today and picked up a bunch of Wampas. I pull up to the cashier and all of a sudden she just disappears. I see her talking to a manager but didn't think it had anything to do with me. Then the manager walks up and says:

"You can only have 8"
    I said "There's a limit on clearance purchases?"
    She says "Yes"
    I said "I didn't see any sign or anything."
    She says "We don't have to"

And that was it. She then walked away. Never had any experience like that before. I know Lego does it, I know TRU does this, but never heard of it happening at a chain discount store before -- let alone on clearance stuff. So anyway, went back later today and picked the rest back up. Every single one was still there -- along with the 50+ boxes of SW Advents, Atlantis, Cars and Pharaoh sets.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    ^ They showed you.
  • vedder1029vedder1029 Member Posts: 78
    Found a lone Portal of Atlantis at Target yesterday - no clearance sticker on it. Rang up 50% off, finally pulled the trigger!
  • darktremeredarktremere Member Posts: 42
    Went out today hitting Target stores, one store had Whitecap Bay, back at full price. One other Target has about 40 of the big pyramid sets and about a dozen of the Portal of Atlantis all half off. Other than that not much left anymore. I did find one series 5 minifig for $1.48.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    My local Target store (Phoenix, AZ) and the SW advent calendars were finally 50% off. One was ripped on the side, and the other 2 were fine. They also had the Portal of Atlantis and Red box Ninjago. They also had Lord Garmadon and sensei wu spinners and Hero factory. The rest of the clearance toys were 70% off.
    Anyone know when the 50% will jump to 70% and if it will include all these slow-moving sets?
    Anyone know when the 50% will jump to 70% and if it will include all these slow-moving sets?
    They wont. They'll be salvaged. Boooooo target.
    edited January 2012
    Booooo indeed.

I thought salvage was sold off at 75%.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I went to my local Target tonight. As usual, their pricing was nothing like what many of you reported. I ended up with nine of the Pharaoh's Quest set Golden Staff Guardians at $5 each. I took 18 photos and posted commentary to them on my blog:

http://brickupdate.com/lego-50-sale-at-target/
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    They wont. They'll be salvaged. Boooooo target.
    Plenty of reports of people seeing sets at 70% off. They will go to 70% next week, most likely.
    edited January 2012
    Sigh. It's just no use.

Who has verifiably reported 70% for LEGO at target??

Legos do not go to 70% clearance at target. When they do the next set of markdowns after 50%, they will be salvaged.

Don't wait for 70% or you'll miss it.
    Booooo indeed.

I thought salvage was sold off at 75%.
    For other toys, yes (but now 70)
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited January 2012
    Sigh. It's just no use.

Legos do not go to 70% clearance at target. When they do the next set of markdowns after 50%, they will be salvaged.

So I guess that the Pyramid and Atlantis that I picked up at $29.98 each today were not 70% off?

Not to mention people on this very thread finding others at 70% off.
    Yeah, but the funny thing is the supposed 70% off sets aren't even the "usual suspects." Whitecap Bay (the one I'm really after) for $26??? And that has been confirmed by various stores in my area when I ask them to look up the DPCI number. Alas, the clearance left them with no stock though. At one Target I had a conversation with a store manager as to why his were ringing up at full price. I mentioned to him that it looked like it was Target-wide. He said he would look into it but I'm not holding my breath so it's off to Walmart to hopefully locate one at $30 tomorrow. Earlier in the week they were all full price at 3 different stores. The lowest I've seen one was $59 a couple of weeks ago in NH.
    Ok so that's the usual suspects at 70% too then.
    Sigh. It's just no use.

So I guess that the Pyramid and Atlantis that I picked up at $29.98 each today were not 70% off?

Not to mention people on this very thread finding others at 70% off.
    Uh, you mean the ONE person who said they got those 2 sets at 70% off? While everyone else is seeing those sets at regular price? Hm.

And forgive me because i am not trying to be rude, but i just simply don't believe that you got those sets at 70% off. I believe what i see with my own eyes, not what people claim.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Receipt pic retort incoming
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,967
    While my local Target only had Lego sets at 50% yesterday, a different Target I went to in July had Lego sets discounted to 70%. I arrived late, and missed out on most of the stock that had been there the previous day, but I did get an small Atlantis and HP set discounted by 70% then. I was quite surprised at the time, because I had not previously seen Lego sets discounted that low.

As for "everyone else seeing those sets at regular price", I can say I also saw city of Atlantis and the Pyramid discounted. The City of Atlantis was 50% off at my Target yesterday. I bought if from Walmart already, though, so I did not need another. A friend of mine saw the pyramid for 50% off at Target. Early this week I saw the Pyramid at 30% off.

Tammy
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Sometimes, it's hard to believe when you visit several stores and none have the same deals as others, but at the same time, we've seen how inconsistent the stores are. Also, this just doesn't seem like the type of thing to lie about. If anything, someone would say things are more expensive to hoard them for themselves. :p

I've been checking on the Atlantis Portal about every other day and it's remained at $69.99. Today it was finally $49.99, so I picked one up. The Pharaoh pyramid was also 50% off (49.99). If it indeed has hit 70% in other locations, that gives hope it'll reach that price for others if they don't sell out by then. Oh, and the Star Wars advent calendar was $19.99 today (was $27 or so 2 days ago).

It's tempting to pick up a 2nd set for $50 to sell, but I personally don't know if PQ or Atlantis sets will be worth much (or sought after) on eBay. I don't want to invest in a larger set that would eventually break even after shipping/fees.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,967
    By me, the differences in price seem to vary a bit. The small variation seems to correlate to demographics, and I have always wondered how much leeway individual stores have. I have seen differences between prices of Lego sets between individual stores. One store does not have a discount, and another store has the same set at a discount. (this is during non-clearance times of tear). I have seen similar with non-Lego clearance items. One store will have a set clearanced and another store does not.

It isn't that the differences are happening at a huge scale, but it has happened enough for me to notice there is some amount of fluctuation of things between stores.
    Tammy
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Target is completely YMMV with some sets. I haven't heard anyone mention the creator lighthouse but I was able to get one for 50% off. Caught off guard completely.

Anyone else able to pick up something odd?
  • darktremeredarktremere Member Posts: 42
    I did find the Police Boat 7287 for half price at one Target.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 797
    I have been waiting PATIENTLY for the discounts to improve at Target but it is like waiting for Walmart every year except this year. I live by 6 Targets and they vary on clearance prices, which sets are reduced and when they make price adjustments. One store is at 15% still. Target did poorly this last quarter compared to previous year sales so I guess this is why the markdowns haven't been so great this year.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I live near 2 Targets. One is always REALLY picked over. They discount slowly, and even at 15% or 30% the stuff moves. The other Target has a much better selection (newer store in a not-as-easy-to-get-to location) and that is the store that I saw 50% stuff yesterday. But I was there for maybe 30 minutes, and the toy sale aisle constantly had people in it picking through stuff and filling up their carts. A store like that likely won't need to go to 70% because what what will be left by Monday will be a lot of destroyed boxes and an oddball selection of probably 1/2 an aisle of stuff. My guess is they will just clear it out to make room for yet another aisle of spring stuff.

On another note: I was surprised at how many opened boxes I saw yesterday. Target is FILLED with cameras and security guards. I just can't believe someone would risk that for a minifig.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    I've been around to 4-5 Targets in my area and had been unimpressed with the clearance...usually stuffed full of Ninjago, Atlantis, and PQ (already got my fill of those from Wal-Mart). Most of them had Hoth Wampas as well, but again Wal-Mart got me stocked up on those.

Last night however, I went to an out of the way Target and their clearance looked untouched. Ended up with:
    Black Pearl (only 1)
    King's Carriage Ambush
    Space Center
    Lego City Truck
    Cad Bane's Speeder
    That was in addition to all of the "usual suspects".

Also hit a TJ Maxx and found a mint MVR for $50.

I've not been hitting this clearance as hard as I normally do (my knee has been acting up and I can't run around to 10+ Targets in a day like I did last year)...I know I missed on some PotC by not being more vigilant, but I already have some of those sets from last summer's clearance and am running out of room in the house to store multiples (need to sell some for sure!).
  • 1brickshyofcrazy1brickshyofcrazy Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012
    Went to one Target this morning it had a few sets at 50% off.
    Star Wars Advent calendar and Pharaoh's Quest Scorpion Pyramid and Some Cars sets and some Atlantis sets.
    Not a huge selection today in Medford, NY but the price sure was right... picked up a dozen or so sets.
    Were the LEGO still 50%?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    They had the same sign at my Target yesterday, and a pile of LEGO sets there, but they all rang up 50%. I asked a manager and he said the employees would be flogged for placing them in the wrong spot, but he would not be able to honor 70% off no matter how many I purchased. My guess is they are still there today. I've seen this happen in every Target I've been to - either 15% off but advertised in the 30% off section, or 30% off but advertised in the 50% off section. Either Target is trying to pull a fast one on lazy people, or the LEGO clearance stepping is off from the rest of the items and the employees don't want to bother getting it right.
    Yeah, I've seen the same thing, that's why I was wondering. Maybe this Wednesday or Thursday>?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    The other thing which is confusing is that the sign in @pcirone's pic says "Price as marked" at the bottom. The sign I saw said something like "Discount applied at register." That made me think the registers would ring them up different than how they are stickered and how they are scanned - but the manager told me that was not the case.
    edited January 2012
    I had no trouble, they did ring at 50% so I showed the cashier my pic, the manager came over and did an override.
    May try that tonight. You probably got lucky but it's worth a shot. Thanks.
    The priced as marked signs are used for non-holiday clearance, and the discount applied at register signs should only be used for holiday since they dont individually ticket the holiday clearance.

Brent
    Not a huge selection today in Medford, NY but the price sure was right... picked up a dozen or so sets.
    Hmmm, sure is funny how the few straggling random toys at the bottom were more picked over than those neatly-arranged lego boxes... And since they did not ring @ 70% it is obvious a shopper put them there.
    edited January 2012
    It's funny? The whole aisle was in disarray. No shopper put them there, there were about 10 of the Atlantis sets, about 20 SW advent calendars, a bunch of the cars sets, and random other sets all in the 70% aisle. I stood them up and arranged them to take the picture. I also got some $45 nerf guns from that shelf that rang up at 50% for $13.50 each. One of my receipts.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    May try that tonight. You probably got lucky but it's worth a shot. Thanks.
    Anyone who got the override to 70% got lucky. I talked with several Target employees about this very issue and they each kept saying that whatever price the set rang up as was the price that they would have to charge. The reason they do it this way is to prevent someone from taking an item, sticking it behind the 70% off sign, and then saying "well...it says 70% off, so give me 70% off."

Makes sense, but this is a little different being that the clearance items are following a schedule. You can clearly see each sticker from the previous cycle. Now that I think about it, its been a pain in the ass having to go through those disorderly aisles at some stores, but I really feel for the employees going through and slapping on adjustment stickers and repricing- through that madness. Ugh. No wonder the going is slow. This is my first year following these so I'm hoping next week we'll see the elusive 70% (and 90% on other toys? There were a couple of Leapster 2 games I was looking at).