Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Great Ball Contraptions

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,482
    Oh and for anyone wanting to know which adaptor you need to power the 9v train controller, you'll need one with a plug size of 5.5mm x 2.1mm. For the power output, it depends on the controller you have. Some are 9v - 10v, and some are 9v - 12v. It'll say which one it is next to the plug socket on it.

I have four of the 9v - 12v controllers, and two of the 9v - 10v.
    77ncaachamps
  • greatballpitgreatballpit Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 84
    Hey guys, I have 4 train controllers and 1 of them only accepts 9-10v, where the other 3 accept 9-12v.  Make sure you check the input on your controllers before you order your power adapters.

I bought my adapters at a local electronics store for around $15CDN each.
    77ncaachamps
    My latest video is a simple re-skin of the GBCRamps module.

77ncaachampsPaperballparkJudgeChuckBumblepantsstluxCCCsid3windr
    Nice. I might build a version of that - I've had some Minecraft figures for ages, but never found anything to do with them.
    edited January 2018
    'Might' turned to 'did'. I only need to order eight pieces to swap some colours in it, which is the kind of inexpensive GBC module I like!
    Fizyx77ncaachamps
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,486
    ^ It sounds as if you are hooked ;)

I'm encouraged to make some videos of my recent designs and post here. I'll do so tomorrow...
    ShibPaperballparksid3windr
    Huw said:
    ^ It sounds as if you are hooked ;)
    Well I currently have five modules which work perfectly, one (the loop-the-loop one which you've seen) which generally seems to be about 80-90% reliable, and one which is pretty much finished, but just needs a PF switch and some extension cables.

So, seven modules in total. A week ago I had five. A month ago I had two...

I'd say hooked is probably about right! :)
    Fizyx77ncaachampsLittleLorisid3windrCalvsnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,016
    Hmm I wonder if you can get USB adaptors for them? I doubt it though...
    A quick look on Amazon confirms that you can get them. There's one on there (from China) for just over a pound, including postage. BUT, because it's USB it only outputs 5v, which is obviously no good.

There are cables on there which claim to take a 5v input and output 12v (how?), but they're over £5 each, and by the time you've bought a USB plug as well, you might as well just get a normal DC adaptor.

Oh and all of those cables are less than 1m long, which isn't exactly great.

Back to the drawing board...

You can use a DC-DC boost converter. You can get a variable one for about a quid on aliexpress. If you have a USB input that can provide 1 A (like many tablet chargers), the output at 9V is up to about 0.55 A, so just about OK for continuously running a PF XL motor under load. You can also reduce the voltage slightly (which will slow the motor) to increase the output current if necessary. If your USB input is only 500 mA (like some phone chargers), it won't work though especially for a PF XL motor.

^ Thanks. think I might just stick to normal adaptors though! :P

I found one today in a cheap shop for £6.50, but the size was 5.5 x 2.5, rather than 2.1. I believe it would probably fit, but I'm not certain, and I'd prefer to have the exact size.
    You can get adapters for changing the plug sizes, but I normally just cut the 'wrong' end off and wire up the right size.
  • Brickster7Brickster7 MD, USAMember Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    There is a module that used 2 separators in the Brickworld Virginia 2017 GBC layout video on Beyond the Bricks channel, that's where I got the inspiration to build Tri-Sep.
    The "2 separator" module from BrickFair VA last year was my son's.  Those who haven't seen it can view it here (about 13 minutes in): 

It worked pretty well, but the structure was a bit fragile and needs to be reworked.

We saw your Tri-Sep module recently and like it.  Your modules have nice style to them!  And I loved the Roadwork Remix mini module - like the PV Productions modules but on a smaller scale.

If you're at BrickFair VA again this year stop by and say hi at the GBC table.  We're planning to be there again.
    stluxgreatballpitsid3windrmafon
    Those planets at 21:50 onwards are brilliant.

32:00 has a technique for slowing down balls in the curly slides.
    Fizyx
    What kind of modules are you guys currently building?  I'm finishing off my "mine loader remix" using parts from set 42049, as well I'm going to work on another star wars GBC to go beside my BB-8.

I need to order some more M-Motors from Lego but I'm waiting for the replacement parts section to re-open so I can get some more GBC balls with them.
    I need a polarity switch and extension cables to finish off my current module, which is a 'balldozer' on rails - moving back and forth, pushing balls up a ramp made from train track.

I'm curious to see what @Huw is currently making - videos were promised earlier this week ;)
    greatballpit
    I'm working on a 'slider lift' which is probably better videoed when done than try and attempt to explain how it works :)

I have a couple of modules finished that I consider original enough to warrant documenting so I'll try and get them videoed tomorrow!
    greatballpitsid3windr
    Very nice!
    Very nice! I don't think I've seen one like that before.
    Very cool Huw!  I have seen a single angled pusher mechanism similar to this before, but never a triple built from all technic!!  I like it a lot, I also like the stepper module at the front, nice clean builds!
  • Brickster7Brickster7 MD, USAMember Posts: 8
    Huw, I really like your Tipping Point module!  Do the plates get scratched sliding back and forth?  Any chance of posting build instructions on Rebrickable?
    edited January 2018
    Thanks!

^ Not that I've noticed yet, and, yes, maybe when I get a round tuit :)

^^ The stepper is based on Maico Arts' one, but with a bigger reservoir.
    Hmm, late night tonight, as I've been working on yet another module... It has a couple of issues, but I've thought of a way to solve them, which I'll do tomorrow.

Not counting the pins, it should only have about 100 pieces...
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 555
    edited January 2018
    Such a troublesome thread as I’ve been inspired to build a couple modules this week, powered by a single motor: 

Which makes me wonder, if they share a motor are they separate modules or a 2-stage module? 
    Paperballparkcatwranglersnowhitie
    @SirBen, I'm glad you've been encouraged to do so! They are addictive, aren't they!

I think we can count them as two :)
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    Does anyone know if the footballs in the German Minifig series are the correct size for GBC's or are they too small?
    Yes they are exactly the right size.
    theLEGOmanMynatt
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    Cheers, that will give me a few to get going with to practise next month.
    77ncaachamps
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 555
    Huw said:
    They are addictive, aren't they!
    Indeed! I think this brings me up to 8 functioning modules. I should pull them all out and get a current video of them together. I have 2 more in the works. Once “Buy a part” ordering resumes on Feb 1 I can finally use one for my Christmas gift cards to order the parts I need. 
    The module I've finished today has 47 different elements with a total of 228 pieces (of which 97 are Technic pins), and can be connected together in a line so that one motor will drive multiple copies of the same module.
    SirBen
    Can't wait to see it!

I have a new one to show you tomorrow, too :)
    Oh, looks-wise it's nothing special, being a simple bare skeleton of Technic elements, but the challenge was to build a reliable module with as few elements as I could, able to connect to each other, and yet still be as simple to construct as possible.

I'm moderately happy with the result, but I think a simpler module could probably be built.

I also taught myself how to do basic instructions today as well.

Looking forward to seeing your new one!
    Perhaps that could be a challenge -- build a functioning module with as few pieces as possible. I have an idea...
    Fizyx
    Wow, that jumps up quite a bit! Works well though :)
    HuwFizyxM_Boss
    Here's another of my shocking videos: my smallest module with fewest pieces: 9 holes long and c.130 pieces.

You could connect multiple ones together easily enough.
    stluxcatwranglerPaperballparkLittleLorigreatballpitSirBenBumblepantsdmcc0stevecook132
    Very nice! Although it's actually shorter than the required input tray size ;)

I suppose you could argue that any module passing balls to it right at the far end would simply pass them to the next module instead... :)
    Yes for this kind of module where balls are passed onwards as quickly as they are received I don't think a big input tray is needed.

Be interesting to see how it performs when dumped with a large batch of balls from my lifter...
    edited January 2018
    I've reworked it to adhere to all standards, and built it somewhat unconventionally. It's still around 130-140 parts. 

dmcc0sid3windrFizyxPaperballparkMynattstluxGothamConstructionCostevecook132
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 210
    I shall not read this thread.
    I shall...
    77ncaachampsFizyxdmcc0
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    edited February 2018
    No BGC thread is complete without the mention of akiyuky. This guy is a creative genius. I have built his ball factory and zig zag. I would say that of the 10 ten GBC creations out in the wild, he would have built 9 of them!

FizyxJenni
    Yes he certainly is. And Nico71.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 855
    ^^
    Wow! The ball factory is superb.
    Nice photography Huw, I'm going to build a copy of your module and see how it goes.  I'm primarily a system brick GBC builder so working on technic modules like this helps me grow my building skill.
    Thanks, and good luck. I'm the opposite, I try and use as little System as I can :)
    I tend to use a mix. I find Technic and System bricks useful for constructing the structure, and then tie it all together with Technic beams to make it sturdy.
    edited February 2018
    I'll try to remember to take some photos tomorrow of a few modules I've done over the past few weeks - one almost entirely System, one entirely Technic, and the others are a mix.
    edited February 2018
    Awesome!

I have a 'sweeper' module that uses 2 skate ramps, you may recall from Swindon, and yes, they can jam should balls arrive just as the sweeper is descending. Not much can be done...

The train module looks great and should make a good spectacle which is what's it's all about...
    Wow Paperball, nice modules!  They all look great and I like the smaller ones that can be chained together on one motor.  As for the long one with the train, I'm inspired to try something similar with a bunch of the Lego "racers" track I have coming in the mail.

Any chance for a video of some of these in action?  I'd love to link them on my blog!