The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Greetings from Leeds (UK)

LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 176

I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks now but only just getting round to posting and saying hello. I’m not new to Lego in the sense I had some when I was younger but am returning now at 33. I have been with my partner for 10 years and we have two young girls (2 & 5). Both have had and played with duplo but we decided the eldest was ready for Lego and bought her 41067 Belle’s Enchanted Castle for Christmas. She struggled with the instructions so I sat and built it with her and we had so much fun. She loves the set and plays with it lots. She’s been looking at more sets on YouTube and asking for more. I spoke with my partner and he wants in on the fun too. So come payday we’re all taking another trip to the Lego store to buy some more.

I’ve been reading the forums and trying to absorb as much as I can. We’re not 100% on what we’ll be bringing home yet but pretty sure there will be some Batman and Disney in there (oh and some more Duplo for the little one!).

LostInTranslationAddicted2Oxygen

Comments

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,486
    Welcome to Brickset.

Plenty of nice LEGO sets out at the moment, you can always get Batman Duplo as well.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,281
    Welcome from a fellow northerner (albeit a good hour away from Leeds)!
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 176
    Thanks guys (and good to see another Northerner). Quite honestly the Batman would probably for the grownups. I've tried but failed at getting the little ones into it. They will probably be more interested in Disney/Friends/Elves.

Can I ask, is there a way of working out when sets are likely to be retired? There are a few bigger sets we really like the look of but being so close to Christmas we just don't have the money for them yet. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,335
    Hi @Legolis - welcome to the forum. There are quite a few of us northerners on here actually, I’m sure you’ll run into some of the others soon. Retiring sets is a tricky issue. Lego.com mark some sets as “retiring soon” but that’s not quite good enough when ‘soon’ isn’t very well defined. There’s an entire thread dedicated to the topic:
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/1958/predictions-on-discontinuing-sets-and-their-secondary-market-value#latest
    Hopefully some one can help on there. Good luck!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,281
    Which sets are you looking at? Sometimes if it's a theme, you can look at past history to predict when they might be likely to retire, with the caveat that 'past history does not guarantee future performance'!

For example, in recent years the Modular buildings have tended to have a life of about 4.5 - 5 years, except #10224 Town Hall, which was only available for 2.5 years.
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 176
    Thanks for the replies! I'll have a look through that thread and see if I can work it out.

There are a few larger sets I really like the look of but we're currently planning a wedding and I don't feel I can go and splurge £200+ on Lego at the minute (maybe on the Honeymoon hehe). So I'm hoping they stick around long enough. I would really like The Firehouse, The Mountain Cave, The Joker Manor and Old Fishing Store but that's an eye watering amount of money combined.

In terms of modulars I love the Palace Cinema but Lego has it listed as sold out so presuming I missed my chance with that one. I also worry slightly that the modulars are moreish. 
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 429
    You could start your modulars with the Downtown Diner but stick quite rigidly to 'Modulars Phase II' as I like to call it. Your minifigs wouldn't be smileys but it would also limit backtracking to find old modulars, and there would only be one set available right now. However we don't know what the future holds so it's a bit suck it and see.

The Old Fishing store is a fantastic set and in my opinion pretty good value for money. If I could only get one nigh-on £200 Lego set, that would still be it.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,233
    Hi @Legolis
    Welcome to Brickset!  I'll shamelessly plug John Lewis and mention that they're doing #21310 Old Fishing Store for £10 cheaper than the Lego Store...

;o)

Happy collecting and good luck with the wedding!