The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Monthly Building Contest - January 2018 - Building Time!

Hello all!

Sorry for the short delay on getting this month's contest up and running, but as ever time seemed to get away from me. Which, in addition to the fact that we have just started a brand new calendar year, actually helped me to come up with the theme for January's competition - TIME

Yes, that's simply it. Time. 

I'm going to leave this theme open to your interpretation as I don't want to restrict your creativity and I love seeing how people interpret the brief in totally different ways, but for instance:
- You could build a Lego representation of a timepiece or other means of measuring time.
- You could create a model that depicts the passage of time in some way.
- You could take a quote/saying or (pop) culture reference relating to time in some way and realise it in Lego form.

I could give loads of more specific examples but I don't want to pre-empt what you imaginative people might come up with!

Entries will be assessed purely subjectively by me :-) but factors I will take into account include how recognisable the subject matter is, parts usage, and also general wow factor. 

The rules (more like guidelines, really):
- Your model should be newly built for this contest.
- Please only post 1 or 2 pictures of your entry so as to keep the thread loading reasonably well.
- Your model should have a footprint of no bigger than 32x32 studs.
- Entries accepted until midnight on 31st January, PST time (so people in Europe, Australia and Asia etc. actually get a few sneaky hours extra!)

The prize:
I have a range of spare polybags, CMFs and small sets that the winner will be able to choose from. I will then ship this to the winning entrant, wherever they are located in the world. 

If you have any questions, please just ask. It's my first time hosting so not sure if I've included all the info you need. 

Happy building!! 

BumblepantsLegopantsrdflegostluxTheOriginalSimonBvizzitorGothamConstructionCosnowhitiethe_creative_boxricecakeMynattSalamalexWicksy80AdzbadboymithridateGoldchainsPebblesFowlerBricksMAGNINOMINISUMBRA

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,363
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,073
    Hmmm, neat theme.  Going to need some time to think about it!
    FowlerBricksthe_creative_boxmithridate
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,914
    Apologies for the lousy photograph, I was holding a baby who would only be content in someone's arms. 
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 296
    My piece count might be insane for this one. Not only is it somewhat large, but I'm having trouble again with colors. I need lots of gold bricks for mine. The problem is, the only gold standard Lego brick in LDD is a 2x4. There is such a thing as a gold 2x2 (I checked on Brickset), which I'll see if Stud.io has, but I still may have to resort to building bricks out of 1x1 plates! I'll still have to substitute some colors anyway, as the shapes of the pieces are more important, although I'll make the colors at least complement.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,080
    that looks more nexo than time twisters. time twisters is closer to a classic castle look with creepy elements like bats, ghost, skeletons and spiders. also lots of moving parts.
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,914
    Fauch said:
    that looks more nexo than time twisters. time twisters is closer to a classic castle look with creepy elements like bats, ghost, skeletons and spiders. also lots of moving parts.
    Well I am stuck working with my kids bricks so Nexo parts abound. Also, I didn't reference the source material at all. I did try and make a skeletony face but it isn't that great. This was mainly an exercise in silliness more than anything.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,708
    I sadly only appreciated the Time Cruisers theme when it was long gone; I managed to pick up one set... this was a nice blast from the past, @Bumblepants

Lots of good ideas so far... I have one I'm hoping to build, if nobody else thinks of it first...
  • esfroliosesfrolios spainMember Posts: 8
    Sorry, I have noticed that I have some incorrect connections, I'll try to solve them later
    esfrolios said:
    Sorry, I have noticed that I have some incorrect connections, I'll try to solve them later
    It's perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure this isn't a purist only competition. If it was, your "sand" would probably be disqualified as loose pieces.
    esfrolios
    edited January 9
    I was going to build an electric clock made entirely of Lego...but Stud.io doesn''t have the motor I want. D:< I have another idea though...if someone doesn't beat me to it.

EDIT: Can we use vintage parts?
    FowlerBricks
  • the_creative_boxthe_creative_box SwedenMember Posts: 90
    @FowlerBricks That looks great! Do you have a picture that shows how the gearing mechanism works?
    @FowlerBricks That looks great! Do you have a picture that shows how the gearing mechanism works?
    I think it's just a standard quartz clock with Lego stuck to it.

You can make actual all Lego clocks powered by weights or air though. I haven't seen an electric one though (probably because the batteries wouldn't last long) but I wanted to use the PF rechargable pack to solve that. Unfortunately, Stud.io doesn't have modern motors (only old ones). >:( I could try to go back to LDD I guess, but if anyone else wants to make a clock, go ahead (I have an idea for something else).
    @Cyberdragon is correct. My cousin took a piece of a normal clock and built the face around it.
  • the_creative_boxthe_creative_box SwedenMember Posts: 90
    ^Ok, I was thinking that. However, a working, electric clock built by Lego bricks only would have been amazing!
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 243
    edited January 12
    The Masters’ Tardis! :D
    FowlerBricksPeteMtmgm528
    edited January 20
    ^Ok, I was thinking that. However, a working, electric clock built by Lego bricks only would have been amazing!
    Well, I've gone and done it now. I have a massive electric clock built, it barely fits in the limit (24x32), yet ironically it runs off a single micromotor (not sure if this would actually work). However, it's only about halfway done, Stud.io had lots of glitchy crap to throw at me even after the last update, so hopefully I'll be done in time (pun alert). I have the working mechanisms done, but I still have the minifigs and lots of greebling to do to. I'm working with parts from just about every era, so you'll have to pardon some odd colors due to limited choices. There's still plenty of time for this to turn into "clock gone wrong" though. Given the two pic limit here, I'll post more in the MOC thread.
    the_creative_boxcatwranglersnowhitiesid3windr
    OH CRAP! Well...the clock is done. But evil Stud.io has reared it glitchyness one last time and refuses to take any photos of it! I'll try things like restarting it and stuff. But if it doesn't work, I'll have to take regular screenshots, so you have to put up with the Stud.io console (I'll hide as much as I can though).
    I don't think I can fix it. It appears to be due to the glitches of blocks not aligning properly and overlapping, causing it not to be able to create a proper picture. I have complained over on their forum, as I've had enough crap and want it fixed, but until then I cannot create proper pics. I don't know if or when this will be fixed, so I'll post a couple crappy screenshot pics here just so I have an entry at all. Hopefully it will be fixed soon so I can show some proper pics over on the MOC thread.

Here's my jungle time machine clock sort of thing (not really any specific theme, other than it being a clock). Credit to Nico71 for the basis of the hand movement and clock face (although heavily altered). It does light up, and runs on a micro-motor hidden in the back. There are some coloring issues, but it's due the old and obscure parts and what was available in Stud.io (the hands are odd on purpose though).

the_creative_boxTheOriginalSimonBMynattricecakeBumblepantsstluxsnowhitiecatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,080
    there's a funny optical illusion, looks like technic pieces don't line up
    Cyberdragon
    Fauch said:
    there's a funny optical illusion, looks like technic pieces don't line up
    They don't! That's exactly the crap I complained about and why it won't photo it!
    Actually, those on the face might actually just be an illusion (not sure though). But there are definately technic pieces that don't line up in this, mainly those 16 long technic beams (hard to see it though).
    Well guys, Time is running out. (Hopefully this counts as a legit entry)

BumblepantsricecakecatwranglerCyberdragonMynattthe_creative_boxLegopantssid3windrLostInTranslation
    This fellow needs to find Time to clean up his mess.

catwranglerMynattLostInTranslation
    And last but not least, Time flies.

ricecakecatwranglerCyberdragonMynattesfroliosthe_creative_boxTheOriginalSimonBsid3windrLostInTranslation
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 162
    @Creating17 I thought I recognised your youtube name, i've seen a few of your bits on Google+ I found you when I was searching for how to build a VW campervan for my mum (my attempts were so poor my sister ended up buying the poly bag) :)

I can't believe it only took you 2 months to make the bank, that's seriously impressive it would take me two years... and then some.

I also love how you make stop motion videos it makes the whole design come to life, how do you find the time especially with Christmas and the madness of the holidays and new year? I've spent a while binge watching your videos and hope that one day I can make such epic MOCs. :D
    Creating17
  • Creating17Creating17 RomaniaMember Posts: 4
    @Creating17 I thought I recognised your youtube name, i've seen a few of your bits on Google+ I found you when I was searching for how to build a VW campervan for my mum (my attempts were so poor my sister ended up buying the poly bag) :)

I can't believe it only took you 2 months to make the bank, that's seriously impressive it would take me two years... and then some.

I also love how you make stop motion videos it makes the whole design come to life, how do you find the time especially with Christmas and the madness of the holidays and new year? I've spent a while binge watching your videos and hope that one day I can make such epic MOCs. :D
    Wow. Just wow... Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment! I can't believe you found me when you were searching, because I don't have many subscribers.

Yes, it took a while to build this, especially due to the fact that I did not have some of the pieces, such as the windows.

I am very very happy that you like my stop motion animations. It means a lot!

And regarding the holidays, I search for time when I finish studying, because I am at high school. And because I do not go to work at this age, I can reserve my free time for building - it is simply very relaxing. 
    And I'm sure that you already make epic MOC's :)
    Pebbles
    edited January 26

Wow. Just wow... Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment! I can't believe you found me when you were searching, because I don't have many subscribers.

Yes, it took a while to build this, especially due to the fact that I did not have some of the pieces, such as the windows.

And regarding the holidays, I search for time when I finish studying, because I am at high school. And because I do not go to work at this age, I can reserve my free time for building - it is simply very relaxing. 
    I didn't have to search too hard I just typed camper van bus Lego MOC into google and there you were. I liked yours as it looked simpler than many others, and with a limited parts count (compared to many) I hoped i'd be able to replicate it more easily... unfortunately not but it still worked out as I got to see some of your other awesome designs, you really do make some lovely models. :D
    Creating17
    I agree, that is an amazing build, but I feel that fitting it into the Time theme is a bit of a stretch.
    I agree, that is an amazing build, but I feel that fitting it into the Time theme is a bit of a stretch.
    I'm not sure they're entering the competition though. I though Alex was just sharing his MOC that could also relate to the theme, as it took 2 months, meaning it was started before the competition was announced? :D Although even given the extra month I doubt I could produce anything with so much detail and depth, and I look forward to seeing more of his work as part of the community. :)
    Creating17
    I'm not sure they're entering the competition though. I though Alex was just sharing his MOC that could also relate to the theme, as it took 2 months, meaning it was started before the competition was announced? :D Although even given the extra month I doubt I could produce anything with so much detail and depth, and I look forward to seeing more of his work as part of the community. :)

I didn't have to search too hard I just typed camper van bus Lego MOC into google and there you were. I liked yours as it looked simpler than many others, and with a limited parts count (compared to many) I hoped i'd be able to replicate it more easily... unfortunately not but it still worked out as I got to see some of your other awesome designs, you really do make some lovely models. :D
    Thank you very much Lego_Minon! Your comments are very much appreciated! Really! Regarding making MOC's, I can just say that I am a city/creator guy, as this is the main theme I like to make MOC's for. I'm not good at making spaceships or technic creations and things like that... . I simply look at things which can be found in a normal city and try to make that thing ( without copying the exact same model ).

What a great idea for a competition. :)

May I introduce the life of Minerva the Minifigure. Life is like a clock, always ticking towards the inevitable with lots of stops along the way. :)

This was such an awesome idea! I also like the designs of the mini figures. Especially the teenager. It looks so accurate.
    PebblesstluxLEGO_Dad77LostInTranslation
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 119
    My 4 yr old clocking in ,,,yes 5 am
    TheOriginalSimonB
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,886
    Not a submission, but I thought this goes well with this month's theme: for the 60'th anniversary of the Lego brick, several AFOL's made clocks for The LEGO House showing 13:58, the time the patent was granted. Sample picture below, more pictures here on Promobricks (in German).

snowhitiePebblesricecakeMynattmafoncatwranglerLegopants
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,456
    Some excellent entries so far, but there's still "Time" for a few more!!