The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Australia. 2018 Modular.

CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 67
Just wondering when the annual modular usually hits shelves here.
I usually just buy online from Lego but this year I decided to buy locally.  I know Myer have the latest modulars. I don't know if they have a deal with Lego but they seem to have the modulars before other stores.
Any help will be appreciated.
MAGNINOMINISUMBRA

Comments

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    Can only offer a QLD perspective...
    It will be either Myer or DJ's.  Big W and Target also get the D2C sets (though usually it's the licensed ones - Target/ Star Wars, Big W/ other licensed properties).  
     From memory, there's been little rhyme or reason to when the Modulars appear on shelves.  I've bought them as early as February and have also had to wait for the mid year toy sale.  I also know for a fact that some Myer stores initial deliveries never make it to the shelf as they are immediately accounted for by staff and staff associates.  A LOT of associated staff (eg cosmetics company reps) qualify for Myer staff discount.
    Charmiefcb
    Forgot to mention - best time these days is waiting for a "buy 1 get 50% of next item sale".  It's no longer like the good old days when you could rely on regular "3 for the price of 2 sales".  Also recommend getting to know the regular staff at your local Myer Toy Department.
     Another option would be Toyworld.  Assuming they still use the same supply chain they did a few years ago (that Mr Toys north of the border use) you will find all the modulars and Ideas sets there.  They tend to get them very quick but the main disadvantage is you WILL be paying at least RRP with no chance of discount.
    Charmiefcb
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 57
    edited January 1
    Myers or DJ's are the most likely but I never see them anywhere until just before Christmas. Actually I don't think I've seen Assembly Square in any shop this time around. I'd love to wait until sales but frankly I just don't have that kind of patience. I ordered from [email protected] yesterday. Sydney needs some kind of brand/affiliated store. We've got the biggest population in Australia and they give affiliated stores to Melbourne and Gold Coast. Pfft...
    CharmiefcbMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    edited January 2
    In 2H 2017 Myer in QLD had assembly square in good numbers at various locations*.
    * Right until the eve of B1G50%N sales.

The Dreamworld store is good for seeing stuff in the flesh but all at RRP with no VIP.  Pick a brick wall is OK at best and also very expensive. Most of the 'store exclusive' stuff is just tat.  Only great experience there is I did manage to pick up an F40 after it had disappeared everywhere else!
    I'm 20 minutes from Dreamworld and I'd happily travel to Sydney to visit a GENUINE brand store.
    Polyphemus
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 67
    We had a Lego Store. Well, Centre and it was 10 minutes walk from my house. If they can put a Lego Store in Birkenhead Point again that would be lovely.
    I never went there as I wasn't living here at the time but I'm sure it was amazing.

If I was Lego I would look at a place like Birkenhead to put a store. Wouldn't have extreme rents of the CBD and a central location. Trust me, people from all over Sydney come to Birkenhead.
    Anyway...

I did see Assembly Square at Sydney CBD Myer but that was a few months ago and I don't know when it first came in stock.
    I think Myer has some agreement with Lego as the last two modulars in AS and BB only seem to be avaliable at Myer. In Sydney you would think David Jones and Hobbyco would get them as well.

Honestly I don't think I can wait and I'll probably buy it from Lego online in the next week or so.
    Polyphemus
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 57
    edited January 5
    In 2H 2017 Myer in QLD had assembly square in good numbers at various locations*.
    * Right until the eve of B1G50%N sales.

The Dreamworld store is good for seeing stuff in the flesh but all at RRP with no VIP.  Pick a brick wall is OK at best and also very expensive. Most of the 'store exclusive' stuff is just tat.  Only great experience there is I did manage to pick up an F40 after it had disappeared everywhere else!
    I'm 20 minutes from Dreamworld and I'd happily travel to Sydney to visit a GENUINE brand store.
    Yeah, I'd heard the affiliated stores actually aren't that great. Genuine brand store anywhere in eastern states would be nice.
    We had a Lego Store. Well, Centre and it was 10 minutes walk from my house. If they can put a Lego Store in Birkenhead Point again that would be lovely.
    I never went there as I wasn't living here at the time but I'm sure it was amazing.

If I was Lego I would look at a place like Birkenhead to put a store. Wouldn't have extreme rents of the CBD and a central location. Trust me, people from all over Sydney come to Birkenhead.
    Anyway...

I did see Assembly Square at Sydney CBD Myer but that was a few months ago and I don't know when it first came in stock.
    I think Myer has some agreement with Lego as the last two modulars in AS and BB only seem to be avaliable at Myer. In Sydney you would think David Jones and Hobbyco would get them as well.

Honestly I don't think I can wait and I'll probably buy it from Lego online in the next week or so.
    Wow, I'd forgotten about the Birkenhead Point centre! I remember pestering my parents when I was a kid in the 80's but they never did take me there.
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 59
    I always wait to get them discounted and I have found that I have to wait until the mid year sales to get the latest modular at a discount, and that has aways been at Myer. 
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 13
    It’s already at the two Lego stores, most likely won’t show up at other stores until end of Feb into March at the earliest, but can be some months later. Myer, David Jones & TRU have all stocked, all or some of the last few modulars. Toyworlds and other independent toy stores also generally get them.  Here’s a list of which stores will stock which exclusives http://brickingaround.com/2018/01/11/your-exclusivity-guide-for-1hy-2018/